CC in Banks?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    I was met with laughter at my concealed carry class two weeks ago when I asked this question. It seems legit to me since Banks are private business and do not fall into Gov. buildings etc and I have not noticed any weapons free zone signage on my local branch windows. New to the forum and just sent in my CC permit last week. Any information would be appreciated.

bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Not a very good teacher if he didn't give you an answer and let everyone just laugh it off like that. Some people don't always know the answers and CC'ing has some sketchy and sometimes hard to read laws.

Just like the no carrying in a Class A liquor license establishment. Had to go look up the liquor laws myself to find out that the only places issued Class A liquor licenses are true "bars" that don't allow minors in their place of business. Most people assumed you couldn't go into an Applebees because they had a bar in there. Completely false...they are safe just like a bank...unless you find out there is a school 999' behind the bank on the other side of the woods you didn't know about....then you screwed....

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    good to go, CC in banks.

However, there are banks, Federal and State, in Federal and State buildings...CCW is prohibited in Federal and State buildings, if I'm not mistaken, so you may have issue in those cases.

A "Federal Credit Union" is not typically one of those cases, FCU's are private banks as well.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    good to go, CC in banks.

However, there are banks, Federal and State, in Federal and State buildings...CCW is prohibited in Federal and State buildings, if I'm not mistaken, so you may have issue in those cases.

A "Federal Credit Union" is not typically one of those cases, FCU's are private banks as well.

Wrong...when all else fails, look it up instead of speculating.;)

Really though, it is not necessarily CHP, (it is not CCW, only handguns authorized) in and of itself. Weapons of anykind are generally not allowed in federal buildings due to federal law, but not CHP law.
    But overall the message is the same, no weapons in federal buildings.

Prohibited Locations
    R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

* A law enforcement office, station, or building;
    * A detention facility, prison, or jail;
    * A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
    * A polling place;
    * A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
    * The state capitol building;
    * Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
    * Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship;
    * A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
    * Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
    * Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Before I read the LSP CHP manual (when applying for my permit) I had the misconception banks were off limits, too. Lots of little bits of misinformation out there such as that.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Wrong...when all else fails, look it up instead of speculating.;)

Really though, it is not necessarily CHP, (it is not CCW, only handguns authorized) in and of itself. Weapons of anykind are generally not allowed in federal buildings due to federal law, but not CHP law.
    But overall the message is the same, no weapons in federal buildings.

Prohibited Locations
    R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

* A law enforcement office, station, or building;
    * A detention facility, prison, or jail;
    * A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
    * A polling place;
    * A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
    * The state capitol building;
    * Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
    * Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship;
    * A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
    * Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
    * Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Yay, sweet, I love being wrong sometimes!

I thought it was state/federal buildings in general.

They are banned at the US Customs House in NOLA, aka the Insectarium. I guess that it is "* A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;".

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Before I read the LSP CHP manual (when applying for my permit) I had the misconception banks were off limits, too. Lots of little bits of misinformation out there such as that.

your right. ven though intellectually we all know there is no reason it should be, we kinda expect it to be, because given the current social perception, it kinda makes sense.

Kinda like many think OC is illegal. Kinda fulfills people's assumptions. A lot of instructors are going off that kind of stuff and giving out bad info.

Goes along with the legal length of a knife kind of legal folklore. granted, some stuff is in a state of perpetual legal limbo, but most can be found if you know where to look.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yay, sweet, I love being wrong sometimes!

I thought it was state/federal buildings in general.

They are banned at the US Customs House in NOLA, aka the Insectarium. I guess that it is "* A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;".

LOL.

I guess so with all the roaches and leeches that are in government. LOL

BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    Another item I was not clear on was parades. Down here in Houma we have several and I was unclear as to if the restriction applied to being in the parade or just standing anywhere along the parade route. Any chance ya'll can clear this one up as well?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Another item I was not clear on was parades. Down here in Houma we have several and I was unclear as to if the restriction applied to being in the parade or just standing anywhere along the parade route. Any chance ya'll can clear this one up as well?

LOL.

None of us know. Many fall on either side. Until there is a person who gets charged for it....the world may never know.

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    LOL.

None of us know. Many fall on either side. Until there is a person who gets charged for it....the world may never know.

there are so many opinions, I agree with you

The legislature tried last year to clear up this gray area and thank goodness the governor used his veto to foil the attempt.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    LOL.

I guess so with all the roaches and leeches that are in government. LOL

:rofl: you've got that right!

Didn't the LASC, or something like that, just define this as "IN" the Parade?

BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    Guess I won't try and be that first case l:). That one really is vague since it has no definition about proximity to the parade and especially confusing since many people watch the parade from their own property.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    there are so many opinions, I agree with you

The legislature tried last year to clear up this gray area and thank goodness the governor used his veto to foil the attempt.

Yeah, other than the obvious fact that it shouldn't be there, if anything, it should only be riders and exhibitionists.

I think the only restriction should be alcohol consumption. Other than that, should be anywhere you want.

Top Bottom