CC without the hassle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swampman1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    south La.
    Yesterday friends told me you no longer need to take classes for a CC license in La. Is this true? Or are they off their rocker?

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Yesterday friends told me you no longer need to take classes for a CC license in La. Is this true? Or are they off their rocker?
    Some parishes will issue you a CHP through their Sheriff’s Office with a simple background check and fingerprints. There is no class required and it only cost $20/year to renew. But keep in mind that this CHP is obviously only valid in the Parish it was issued in.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Some parishes will issue you a CHP through their Sheriff’s Office with a simple background check and fingerprints. There is no class required and it only cost $20/year to renew. But keep in mind that this CHP is obviously only valid in the Parish it was issued in.
    Yup used to be called “reserve deputy” but I thought they quit all of that when the chp thing took off… maybe they still have it in the small parishes …

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Yup used to be called “reserve deputy” but I thought they quit all of that when the chp thing took off… maybe they still have it in the small parishes …

They were common in Livingston Parish 50 years ago but not so common now.
    LPSO teaches the Louisiana CHP class but they are not free like the Reserve Deputy Commission.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    With regards to sheriff permits, would that be will issue, shall issue or might issue?
    You were not made a Reseve Deputy just to be able to carry.
    You were issued a permit to carry in the parish it was issued by. Not every where!
    I have some very old ones from Harry Lee and way before he was sheriff. The really old ones had your carry guns serial numbers on them too.
    Kinda like a note from your mother if she was the sheriff........

Last edited:

V.Taltos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2023
    North Louisiana Swamps
    I got a parish CHL back in the early 2000's. Just went in, filled out the paperwork, got printed and a week or two later got my permit. But, it sucked being limited to that parish so when the permit expired after one year, I took the class and got a Florida permit that allowed me to carry in a lot of states. Check with your parish, maybe they still have this option?

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I got a parish CHL back in the early 2000's. Just went in, filled out the paperwork, got printed and a week or two later got my permit. But, it sucked being limited to that parish so when the permit expired after one year, I took the class and got a Florida permit that allowed me to carry in a lot of states. Check with your parish, maybe they still have this option?
    Yes, it's easy to get a FL permit. Just need picture fingerprints and prove competence with a firearm. Competition results can be used. And, it's a lot less expensive. To my knowledge, it can't be used to forego a background check on a 4473 in LA.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Could be getting that from those places on Facebook advertising online CCL for Louisiana. Of course if they said CHP it would sound better.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Yes, it's easy to get a FL permit. Just need picture fingerprints and prove competence with a firearm. Competition results can be used. And, it's a lot less expensive. To my knowledge, it can't be used to forego a background check on a 4473 in LA.
    Didn't they make some changes here in LA to negate the use of those FL Non-resident permits? I remember that being a thing, FL would issue non-resident permits, and LA did accept them, but I thought they nixed that workaround a few years back.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    As far as veterans the requirement is a valid honarable discharge. ................... drill sgt.
    Drill Sgt is correct, for an initial application. No classes required for an initial application, just a copy of a DD 214. However for a renewal the individual must still submit proof of new (renewal) training. So for a veteran the permit is free but got to pay for renewal training.

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    Didn't they make some changes here in LA to negate the use of those FL Non-resident permits? I remember that being a thing, FL would issue non-resident permits, and LA did accept them, but I thought they nixed that workaround a few years back.
    You're correct. All that was going on when I first started looking into the permit.

Top Bottom