CCA proposes ban on bow fishing for Redfish

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mitter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Recieved this email earlier today:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Call To Action

Current Louisiana law grants “gamefish” status to over 10 different species of freshwater fish. However, only one saltwater species enjoys that same status: red drum. In the 1980s, commercial fishermen were decimating redfish stocks trying to meet the insatiable national demand for blackened redfish, a dish made famous by Chef Paul Prudhomme. At that critical time, your CCA Louisiana stepped in to demand protection for this important recreational species. CCA was the driving force behind successful legislation that designated red drum as a gamefish in Louisiana waters.

Gamefish status provides a species with many important protections. First, it prevents the commercial sale of that particular wild species taken from local waters. Although we see redfish on restaurant menus across our state, these fish are either farm raised or wild fish brought into Louisiana from Mexico or Mississippi (where redfish do not enjoy gamefish protection).

Another important protection afforded a gamefish is the allowed “method of take.” It is illegal to harvest gamefish with nets, spear guns, or bow and arrow. Black bass, striped bass, white perch, bream and others are all protected from this method of harvest. But redfish are not! It is currently legal to harvest a redfish with a bow and arrow or spear gun. Louisiana is the only state along the Gulf that allows any gamefish to be harvested with an arrow or spear.

Sen. Dan Claitor, R-Baton Rouge, has filed a bill in the Legislature to fix this glitch in our gamefish laws. His bill amends RS 56:320 so that red drum is provided the same protection extended to other species designated as “gamefish.”

CCA Louisiana is not against bow fishing. Amending the current law will still allow bow fishermen to harvest numerous saltwater species in Louisiana’s coastal marshes…..black drum, flounder, and sheepshead…..among others.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never been bow fishing, but don't see how it puts anymore pressure on them. I mean, don't you still have the same creel limits as fishing w/rod and reel?

10shotgroup

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Much more fun to catch with rod & reel.

So on this basis you support outlawing bowfishing for red fish?

That's like saying " it's funner to shoot deer with a muzzle loader so we should ban the use of centerfire."

this is nothing more than rod and reel guys playing a power grab.

Last edited:

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    So on this basis you support outlawing bowfishing?

I don't support outlawing it altogether, but some fish do need to be limited on what you can catch. I know it won't stop everyone, but it will help out some.

Just like when they decreased the bag limit on redfish to 5...that helped the redfish population, and still allowed harvesting. That was before my time though, so it didn't affect me that much.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    oops, I left out a word in my first post. btw, I am sure STAR loved it when I shot a STAR-tagged redfish with my bow. All they gave me was a lousy t-shirt. I still have the fish in my freezer. I wanted to mount it with the tag still in.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    STAR, CCA and Ducks Unlimited can all go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

+1000000000000000000000000

Bunch of fat cats that dont do anything that is important. Lets see, private landowners saying that they own state owned waterlands throwing up gates, CCA doesnt get involved. No ducks in louisiana cause there all holding in DU impoundments in the north and midwest where they tilled under corn, tough.

Just send us your money, put this bumper sticker on your truck and STFU.

Redfish are not hurting. There is already a limit on what you can catch, same as with a rod and reel. If you can go out and catch em on a rod and limit out with 5 in one day, whats the difference if you can do the same with a bow?

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    oops, I left out a word in my first post. btw, I am sure STAR loved it when I shot a STAR-tagged redfish with my bow. All they gave me was a lousy t-shirt. I still have the fish in my freezer. I wanted to mount it with the tag still in.

I didnt know the bow was a disqualifier.

Poopshooter

Join the Resistance
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Walker town USA
    Red fish will always be around. Last time I was in the marsh we only saw about 100,000,000 in less then a mile. You want to do something to save them, quit blocking off cuts and washouts.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    So on this basis you support outlawing bowfishing for red fish?

That's like saying " it's funner to shoot deer with a muzzle loader so we should ban the use of centerfire."

this is nothing more than rod and reel guys playing a power grab.

10shotgroup, I do not want bow fishing outlawed. I enjoy catching them on rod & reel more than sticking them with an arrow. The fight is what I enjoy most when catching Redfish. Bow fishing is fun, but it's more about a good hit than a good hook set followed by a screaming reel and bent rod. That said if you prefer bow fishing I'm not going to stop you or anyone else from it. Just remember to practice catch and release into hot oil.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom