CCP badges: Would you wear one?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I attended a CCP class recently and the instructor mentioned that we could order CCP badges from him. His reasoning was that if someone saw a weapon when you reached in your pocket or bent over and they saw a badge too they'd be less likely to freak out and dial 911. He was a big open carry proponent and suggested that if one decided to open carry instead of conceal(don't ask me why anyone would want to do that) the badge would serve the same purpose. He said he spoke to lawyers and State Attorney(not LA) who all said that wearing the badge alone would not be illegal.

I just think it's a bad idea. That if a LEO would ever see the badge that a certain amount of grief and ball busting would be coming my way even if I couldn't be convicted of anything. What do y'all think?

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    His reasoning was that if someone saw a weapon when you reached in your pocket or bent over and they saw a badge too they'd be less likely to freak out and dial 911.

Why? Because you (wearer of badge, not you personally) would want someone to think you are LEO?

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    So i would carry CONCEALED, but wear a badge that says i have a gun? Kind of defeats the purpose, right?.........or would the badge be concealed too? Either way, i would never.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    So i would carry CONCEALED, but wear a badge that says i have a gun? Kind of defeats the purpose, right?.........or would the badge be concealed too? Either way, i would never.

I think the idea is to have the badge next to your gun under your cover garment so if the gun is exposed the badge will be also.

Retarded idea either way.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Big fat freakin fail!
    Man, some folks really need to grow the fu** up or shut the fu** up!
    So, what would be the percentage of people that'll use these badges and lie about being LEO after its been flashed? Yep...I see it happening.
    People are so stupid. Stupid people with CC permits are just down right scary!

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Detectives wear the badge next to the weapon while on duty since there is not a place on the dress shirt for it. That is the only instance I know of when anyone clips a badge next to a weapon.
    As far as civilian CC goes, the question is this: Do you want LE or the public to believe that you CC for your safety or because you are on some kind of crusade?
    In the event of a shooting, you do not want LE or the DA to believe that you were playing vigilante.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    The badge i do carrt is in my wallet. Behind a leather flap. Youll never see it unless i want you to. I think those cc badges are just a gimic. I really dont see the point or a reason for one.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Why? Because you (wearer of badge, not you personally) would want someone to think you are LEO?

He presented the idea as security guards have badges, bail bondsmen have badges, firemen, paramedics. A badge just identifies what you are, in this case CCP holder who has the authority to have a gun. Again, I don't think it's a very good idea.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    He presented the idea as security guards have badges, bail bondsmen have badges, firemen, paramedics. A badge just identifies what you are, in this case CCP holder who has the authority to have a gun. Again, I don't think it's a very good idea.

but you already have something that does that: your permit.

those badges are stupid, and more likely to do harm than good. Think about it- the only time anyone will need to see your "authority to carry a gun", is after they see your gun. At which point the twenty dollar badge means less than squat- regardless of who is asking.

To answer your other questions/comments directly:
    1) No, I wouldn't expect a leo to bust your balls over the badge. It isn't illegal. (However, they'll snicker if they can't resist the giggle when they see it)
    2) No, it isn't illegal for you to wear it. People of Walmart has proved that you can wear a lot of things that you shouldn't.
    3) Open Carry or CCW, the badge is irrelevant. Carry your gun. It's legal. If anyone asks, so what- show a responding officer your permit. If you're new to carrying I realize that you think everyone is going to think "oooh he's got a gun". I hate to break it to you like this, but most people won't notice. the rest either won't care, or will assume it's legal. If one person complains, you'll show the officer your permit... so whats the big deal?

4) your instructor sounds like someone that was trying to sell you something. just saying. know this: if you post his name on this forum, you're crucifying him. Your call entirely.

Last edited:

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    Kind of tacky to use his CCW class to push his badge-selling business. It's a pretty terrible idea as it is.

Massad Ayoob seems to think it's a bad idea, from the "Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry"

Sold in great numbers to well-meaning CCW permit-holders, these are seen by police and prosecutors (and the general public, and the jury pool) as "fake badges". At best you look like a wannabe cop. At worst, you fit the profile of criminals from home invaders to child molesters who impersonate a police officer in the course of heinous offenses. That's not a profile you ever want to fit.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA

"One of these things don't look like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong!"

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    drpc, Your profile says you live in Picayune. That's good to know. I was going to ask you the name of the instructor/business that taught the class. I'm interested in getting my permit soon and am looking for a good class to take. Looks like I won't be considering this goofball since he is most likely located in Mississippi and not here in Louisiana.
    My opinion is that if the badge isn't issued to you as part of your employment, you shouldn't be wearing one.
    http://youtu.be/REujmHiQFo4?t=1m28s

Top Bottom