Ccw .45 acp

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Once they ditched the metal magazines, that one cleaned right up. It is still the most "finicky" of the Glock line, though... IOW, it is not very tolerant of poor grip/technique. Definitely one to be avoided by nimrods...

Agreed, it does not like being limp wristed at all. My wife can shoot it, but despises it. She says she will stick with her old g17.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    my dad bought a Citadel .45 Officers type to beat on at IDPA rather than his kimber, and I belive he got it for less than $400. He fell in love with it and likes the way it shoots better than the Kimber, although the Kimber is easier to carry. He says it has never failed to function, and I've shot it numerous times with no issues. While I presonally don't have much love for a compact .45, I would carry this gun with confidence.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Or you could get a proven design. Those tupperware pistols are alright, but you said you wanted reliability. Well the only design that's been tested for over a century is the 1911.

What? You say you can't possibly get a reliable 1911, with a lifetime warranty, from a company with an excellent customer service reputation, in your price range?

Wrong. In stock. http://e-sarcoinc.com/pist-rockislcompact1911a45pistol.aspx

Thank me later.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have shot a few of these (Bersa mini-45s) that came through the evidence process. They worked well enough (as far as functioning for three test rounds can be considered 'working'). But the concern I have with them is the same one I have regarding the Taurus PT Pro 145; another "mini-45".

Both of these guns display a TREMENDOUS drag mark on the fired brass. Known to non-scientific types as 'primer smear', what this means is that the guns are unlocking WAY before the pressure has dropped- and before the firing pin has even had time to retract back into the slide- which is very hard on the locking block and breech face/barrel hood areas of the firearm.

IOW, the long-term durability of the piece is in question. It may work fine... but for how long?

These mini-45s are not alone in this characteristic; I see it in numerous other designs. To me it indicates that the design engineers did not do a thorough job of ensuring that the timing of the piece is right. Whatever the cause may be, the effect is not open to debate; the guns are unlocking early, period. How detrimental this is to the firearm is on an individual basis.

Much is made of the "over-priced and over-hyped" HK pistols. Perhaps... but brass from them (to include the HK45C, which is just a bit larger than the two pistols in question here) does not display this drag mark, meaning the guns are not unlocking until the pressure has dropped and the bullet is out of there... which is a cornerstone of the original Browning locked-breech principal.

There are many heads to the Reliability Hydra. This is but one...

Just curious, do you think a heavier recoil spring would help? Or maybe a wolf substitute spring?

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Or you could get a proven design. Those tupperware pistols are alright, but you said you wanted reliability. Well the only design that's been tested for over a century is the 1911.

What? You say you can't possibly get a reliable 1911, with a lifetime warranty, from a company with an excellent customer service reputation, in your price range?

Thank me later.

I belive Rock Island and Citadel are made in the same factory. I know two people who have owned RIA 1911's and both of them still do.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010

Thank me later.

I'll thank you now! I'm so glad you found this; just bought one.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm curious. Did you see this drag mark on allcaliber of Bersas or just the 45? My SIL carries a Bersa Thunder in .380 and I'd like to know more about it, especially since thiese seem to fly off of the classified list here.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I just noted it on the .45 because it was so prominent. I suspect it is there on the small calibers too, but honestly don't recall.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most modern pistols using the locked breech principle display drag marks to one degree or another. Its the "big"ones that are cause for concern, IMO.

Hope these photos come out okay. if they do, I'll describe what you are seeing in the next post.

It's really clear on the first one. Thanks.

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    I have read comments on several websites that 1911 guns under 4 inch barrels are not reliable. My experience is limited to one. I have a ten yearold Para Ordinance P10 that I would trust under any conditions. I hesitated to comment because it was more than 400. I personaly think most problems with small pistols is with the operator. Sorry if I'm off topic but don't dismiss small 1911's until you try one with at least 200 rounds. Thanks Dave

deadduck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    I'm working on breaking my Sig Ultra Compact in to be my carry piece eventually. So far it's run without a hiccup with FMJ, older Fed Hollow Points, and some Golden Sabers, all 230 grain. I realize that this isn't in your budget, however.

However, I also got to handle a Springfield Armory XDs .45 the other day at a LGS. It belonged to the owner, so I couldn't buy it, but wow. What a sweet feeling little pistol. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one of those as soon as my buddy can get one ordered. He's just getting his FFL. Still though, it will probably be more in the $500 range.

Personally, I think you need to up your budget a little.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    In my experience, .45, CCW, and "low budget" don't mix well. confidence & practice ammo alone puts .45 platforms outside of the "budget" bracket.

Some applications such as "Home defense" or "make-do SHTF" may work on a shoestring budget (at least in the short term), but CCW is both a mindset and a comitment. For starters, you have the pistol itself. Then you have the magazines (typically a minimum of 6). After that is quality "leather" to carry the weapon (and/or mags). Next, there is the requisite amount of ammo to ensure the specific weapon and mags are reliably functioning (people's margins vary from 200 to 500 to 1,000+, and finally there are training courses and range trips to develop skills and knock off the rust from the hands and the brain.

CCW is a multi-thousand dollar longterm commitment, no matter how cheaply one intends it. Again, the individual margins of "safety" and "reasonableness" vary with the individual, but even the CCWer with a $400 pistol, 2 mags, one Uncle Mike's universal nylon holster, and a mere 500 rounds fired over the years may still pay those thousands in medical bills (if so lucky to survive), and/or legal fees for a bad shoot.

Granted none of this specifically addresses your question, and buying an expensive gun is no more successful at preventing an armed encounter than a bargain pistol is in attracting one. Nevertheless, all this "extraneous" information is added to remind us all how muxh is involved and at stake with CCW and how a few hundred on the weapon itself is negligable when factoring all the costs in the long run.

With that out of the way, There are not many pistols I can think of that make good CCW candidates in that price range. I carry a 4" semi-custom 1911. I chose that platform for the slim profile, the caliber, the manual safety, the performance and the reliability that comes with that package. Your needs may differ. Capacity may be a greater concern or a manual safety may be less of one for your needs. At any rate, the 1911 platform practically (if not, definitely) requires a substantial investment in capital for a reliably-built compact, or so it has been in my personal experience. If you had to go completely cheap, I would look at a Rock Island Compact, but I can fill two threads with the pitfalls of cheap 1911s and the 3.5" platform.

Other pistols in .45 may/may not address your needs for CCW, but that is for you to decide. All I can say is that the money for the right gear now saves you a substantial amount of money later buying it a second (or third) time, and time spent acquainting yourself with the next weapon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom