ccw and background checks

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Valond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    So, I will be picking my 3 new cans soon and a few host guns at the same time. I just read about CCW holders in Louisiana not having to do the nics check but still having to fill out the form. Is there truth to this?

Mouthpiece

Attorney
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    This is from the LSP website:

The passage of Act 221 of the 2014 Regular Session of the Louisiana Legislature amends La. R.S. 40:1379.3 to require the Department of Public Safety to conduct a check on every Concealed Handgun Permit applicant through the National Instant Background Check System (NICS) of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Pursuant to Act 221 of the 2014 Legislative Session, approval from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has been obtained and possession of a current and valid 5-year Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit, issued on or after March 9, 2015 shall constitute sufficient evidence of the background check required pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(t) for the purchase of a firearm, and may be used in lieu of a NICS check. However, as stated in Act 221, possession of a Concealed Handgun Permit that has a Lifetime designation shall not constitute sufficient evidence of the background check pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(t).

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I think Valond is talking about the stuff that's been in the news in the last week or so about CHP holders with LSP signing off on something

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

+1

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

Effective 5/11/2015, the Louisiana State Police Concealed Handgun Permit Unit will begin accepting applications for the purpose of obtaining a Chief Law Enforcement Officer signature on the ATF Form 4. The Superintendent of the Louisiana State Police, or his designee, may at their discretion, sign as the Chief Law Enforcement Officer for the transfer/registration of certain "firearms", as listed on the "Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm", ATF Form 4 (5320.4).

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom