CCW class in Denham Springs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    I want to start by saying, if you are ever headed to the Bass Pro Shop in Denham Springs and need directions, don't trust Apple. They sent me to some random neighborhood, not even close to the right place. It did bring me to the right city, but I don't think that counts for much.

On to the more important part of this post. I spent eight hours in class today and never got bored. You will find my head resting on the desk an hour and a half into most classes, so I am not sure how that happened. Matt Parrish did a great job of maintaining my attention, even when going over basics so fundamental they could have been part of a class entrance exam. If someone can't point to the trigger or muzzle of a gun, I don't know what to say, except maybe you should be in a firearms safety class, and not a CHP class. Of course the curriculum must meet state approval, so I understand it's presence.

While I have been shooting a while, and know basic firearm anatomy, I am not particularly versed in all the fundamentals of shooting. I really enjoyed the section of the course that covered that material and hope it will help me improve my skills in the future. Now I just need to get out the the range more and practice them.

The next section of the course that stood out to me was the discussion regarding the responsibility that goes along with carrying a firearm, and when/where/how to use them. It was a basic course, so obviously we did not go over every scenario conceivable, or delve deeply into technique. Still, I found the discussion very interesting, and thought provoking.

We had a very small group, which I can not complain about. I highly doubt they are always that small, but it did make for a nice atmosphere. All of us seemed to have a respectable knowledge of firearms going into the course, so we moved at a fast enough pase to allow for extra discussion time. I have heard of others taking CHP classes and being done within a few hours. As I said at the beginning, this class lasted all day. If you are looking to get a carry permit, but feel you are too smart to learn from anyone else, this is not the class for you. In that case find an instructor who doesn't take his job very seriously. If you want to be safe, responsible, and ensure you don't accidentally cross any lines that may put you in jail, take this class. I drove all the way from Metairie, and it was definitely worth it.

I am sure there is more to say, but I don't want this post to be so long that no one reads it. Matt's username is returningliberty for anyone who wants to message him.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    No, at the Bass Pro. I was there too. Highly recommended. I've heard reports from friends who've taken "bare minimum" classes and really wasn't interested in that route. After looking around for awhile I had a short list of instructors and went with Matt's. Like TruBrew, I'll start falling asleep in any class but the day flew by. He hustled the entire time and I really appreciated the effort he put forth to give us as much information as he could in 9 hrs. It was 1.5 hr drive for me and definitely worth it.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Thank you so much for the kind words guys. I have the bittersweet feeling that this course may be the last publicly scheduled class I give in Louisiana due to my possible move to Texas for employment.

You guys may have been the last "hurrah" for CHP's for me. thank you for making such long drives, and I'm glad you feel the value of the course made it worth it. I had a lot of fun and the small class size / big knowledge base let us have a great discussion I don't normally get to do.

Top Bottom