ccw for corrections officers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    hi guys new to the forum here. i am in the process of getting hired as a cooections officers in st charles parish and was wondering what the law is for concealed carry for corrections officers. do i need to get a permit? i think as a correction officer you should be able to conceal carry since you have abetter chance of an inmate remembering a face he sees everyday compared to his arresting officer. thanks in advance guys

ltranger14

Spooky 8
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Prairieville
    Depends of if you are a state CO or for the SO. Most SO corrections deputiese these days are certified to carry a firearm and go through the approiate POST training. Uneless the need araises (such as tranport) most state COs are not trained or "qualified" to carry.

Last edited:

in625shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    hi guys new to the forum here. i am in the process of getting hired as a cooections officers in st charles parish and was wondering what the law is for concealed carry for corrections officers. do i need to get a permit? i think as a correction officer you should be able to conceal carry since you have abetter chance of an inmate remembering a face he sees everyday compared to his arresting officer. thanks in advance guys

It depends on if in your job you fall under LEOSA. If you are qualified and carry (or can be assigned to carry) firearms, supervise incarcerated individuals and have statutory powers of arrest then you are covered. So it basically depends on your agency. States are also iffy. I know the IL State DOC is not covered but others are. The Federal Bureau of Prisons are covered by LEOSA.

Good Luck

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    It depends on if in your job you fall under LEOSA. If you are qualified and carry (or can be assigned to carry) firearms, supervise incarcerated individuals and have statutory powers of arrest then you are covered. So it basically depends on your agency. States are also iffy. I know the IL State DOC is not covered but others are. The Federal Bureau of Prisons are covered by LEOSA.

Good Luck

Thanks

lpso708

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    Thibodaux,LA
    You will have to be POST certified to carry without CCW. POST certified in correction will not work it must be Law Enforcement as this is with the power to arrest.

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    Did you ever get a for sure answer?

Not yet. I went through the hiring process rather quickly, then i took my polygraph the Monday before thanksgiving and things have been at a stand still since then. The examiner said he doesn't see any problems when i finished. So i guess its a waiting game at this point

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    You will have to be POST certified to carry without CCW. POST certified in correction will not work it must be Law Enforcement as this is with the power to arrest.

That's what i was told but I've also heard that some agencys will give you all the certifications upfront for both. Just haven't found anyone that works at the agency im looking into and id really hate to spend the money for a concealed carry class and not need it.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    That's what i was told but I've also heard that some agencys will give you all the certifications upfront for both. Just haven't found anyone that works at the agency im looking into and id really hate to spend the money for a concealed carry class and not need it.

The agency is just the Saint Charles parish prison right? Be specific and I might be able to get an answer.

in625shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009

That is not totally true. If your agency requires a POST firearms qualification then yes. If your Agency dosen't then no. Let me explain. I am with the Federal Bureau of Prisons and am a Lead Firearms instructor. Since my agency is covered by LEOSA as a Lead Firearms instructor we are WELL versed on LEOSA. As long as you are qualifed to your Agencies standards (see item #6 below)you are Good to Go under LEOSA. An example is BOP basic firearms qualification standards just for employment is a joke and very easy. To be qualified to take a trip is more like a POST qualification. Both courses you are qualified per LEOSA due to you are qualified per the Agencies standards.

Now once you retire you are required to qualify per the standards in your State of residence requirement. My home state requires the same course as the LE Academy/all LEO's in the state. Also as a retired LEO you are requried to have proff of qualification in your state. While you are activley working your Active Department ID suffices.

If you are qualified per Your Agency standards, have Statutory Powers of Arrest, and supervise incarcerated individuals you are covered! No if your ageny trys to dumb it's employees down I would go to FOP to get it addressed.

Pehaps some should re read it!

The original requirements of the 2004 Act were later amended by the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act Improvements Act of 2010, which is included below.[2]

[edit] Meaning of "qualified law enforcement officer"

In order to be covered as a "qualified law enforcement officer", a person must meet every one of the following criteria, that is to say they must:[3]
    1.an employee of a governmental agency,
    2.be authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law,
    3.have statutory powers of arrest,
    4.be authorized by the agency to carry a firearm,
    5.not be the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency (which could result in suspension or loss of police powers),[2] and
    6.meet standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm.

The law was specifically extended in 2010 to include:
    law enforcement officers of the Amtrak Police,
    law enforcement officers of the Federal Reserve Police, and
    law enforcement or police officers of the executive branch of the Federal Government,

as being "authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law", and to have "have statutory powers of arrest".[2]

In order to exercise the privilege, the person must carry "the photographic identification issued by the governmental agency for which the individual is employed as a law enforcement officer."[3]

[edit] Meaning of "qualified retired law enforcement officer"

In order to be considered a "qualified retired law enforcment officer", a person must:[4]
    1.have separated from service in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer,
    2.before such separation, have been authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and had statutory powers of arrest,
    3.either: 1.before such separation, have been regularly employed as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 10 years or more, or
    2.retired from service with such agency, after completing any applicable probationary period of such service, due to a service-connected disability, as determined by such agency,

4.during the most recent 12-month period, have met, at their own expense, the standards for qualification in firearms training for active law enforcement officers, as determined by: 1.their previous agency, the State in which they live or,
    2.if the State has not established such standards, either a law enforcement agency within the State in which the individual resides or the standards used by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State, and

5.either: 1.have not been officially found by a qualified medical professional employed by the agency to be unqualified for reasons relating to mental health, or
    2.have not entered into an agreement with their previous agency in which that individual acknowledges he or she is not qualified under this section for reasons relating to mental health.

Such a person must possess either:[4]
    photographic ID issued by their previous agency that indicates that they have, in the previous 12 months, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training as established by the agency to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm, or
    both of: photographic ID issued by their previous agency, and
    a certification issued by the State in which they live, or by a certified firearms instructor (qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State) that indicates that they have, in the previous 12 months, been tested or otherwise found by the State (or a certified firearms instructor) to have met either: the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training, as established by the State, to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or
    if the State has not established such standards, standards set by any law enforcement agency within that State to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.

In 2010, the minimum term served was lowered to 10 years, and the provisions for disqualification on mental health grounds and the provisions regarding qualifications to carry a firearm were amended.[2] The law was also specifically extended in 2010 to include:
    law enforcement officers of the Amtrak Police,
    law enforcement officers of the Federal Reserve Police, and
    law enforcement or police officers of the executive branch of the Federal Government,

as "service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer".[2]

[edit] Restrictions

[edit] General restrictions of the Act

In order to attract the protection of LEOSA, both serving and retired law enforcement officers must not:[3][4]
    be prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm, or
    be under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance, or
    carry machine guns, destructive devices, or silencers.[2]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom