CCW Holster Advice - Please Help!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hey guys, need your input: Looking for a CCW holster for my two XD's

I have a 5" that I need a Left handed holster for and a 4" that I need a right handed holster for. I've been searching and trying to learn a little about IWB/OWB, as i'm fairly certain I want a waistband holdster. A few ???'s:

OWB - do you usually wear a larger shirt to hang down over the holster so it cant be seen?

IWB - Kinda the same question, how do you hide the handle that shows?

Also, any links or companies I should look at with regards to the holsters I need?

Born4spd

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I I carry a Glock 19 and like High Noon Holsters best. www.highnoonholsters.com
    I do use kydex at times and I like CompTac. www.comp-tac.com
    When I must go shirt tucked I use a Smart Carry mostly with a Kahr PM9 www.smartcarry.com/.
    For more on how I carry see http://www.hickmangrouptraining.com/category/uncategorized/

Whichever holster I get, I am going to go with a polymer. I'm also going to have to get multiple holsters, because on my bike I'm going to carry behind the hip or on the back.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I carry a G19 in the same style holster as Bill (its a Leather Arsenal DDCS) and have a comptac infidel which is the same style but in kydex. out of all the holsters i've tried and used, it works the best.

if you do get a leather holster make sure you get one with a reinforced mouth.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    With those longer barrels, you are bound to need an IWB. FWIK, you probably want the Crossbreed Supertuck for your XD. There is a video on their website that shows the XD being used, I think it will answer your other questions.

You can't wear tight clothing and carry, but you don't have to look like a slob either. You do have to dress around your weapon. I carry either a full sized 1911 in a Milt Sparks IWB or a J-frame clone in a pocket holster in my front pocket.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I carry either a G23 or XD40SC both in there respective Don Hume IWB's at about 3:15. My normal dress is blue jeans and either a Polo or T-Shirt untucked. After a week you will not even notice it is there. I have never had a problem drawing where the holster came with the gun. I like this set up because I do not have to wear a belt all of the time and works out nicely when wearing shorts. Most other popular holster options require a belt to secure the rig.

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_5&products_id=35

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'd say Comptac MTac over the Crossbreed if you like that design. The Supertuck looks like a 3rd grader made it and is too much $$$ for the quality.

Those are full size guns. They will be challenging to conceal, there's just no getting around that. Not sure what style clothes you wear, but you'll definitely want IWB and you may need a baggy shirt to hide full size XD grips.

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I pretty much wear fairly baggy clothing, mostly Jeans or Khakis and Tshirts(untucked) or Polo's (tucked). The winter will be easier to conceal, but summer's gonna be a beotch, methinks.

In one of the states I previously lived in, If you had a Concealed Carry Permet, You couldn't OC, some stupid loophole basically said if you could conceal, you HAD to. Louisiana doesnt have anything like that right? I'll still be allowed to OC with my CHP?

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I pretty much wear fairly baggy clothing, mostly Jeans or Khakis and Tshirts(untucked) or Polo's (tucked). The winter will be easier to conceal, but summer's gonna be a beotch, methinks.

In one of the states I previously lived in, If you had a Concealed Carry Permet, You couldn't OC, some stupid loophole basically said if you could conceal, you HAD to. Louisiana doesnt have anything like that right? I'll still be allowed to OC with my CHP?

No we don't. The only time I OC is going to and from the range and I have a CHP.

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    well, the Comp-Tac MTac will be perfect for the 4", but they dont have the setup for the 5". The C-Tac will work for the 5", anyone have any experience with these?

My Bad, they didnt list it as a 5", just called it the Tactical. Boy do I feel SHEEEEEEEPISH!

Last edited:

Frnchyse

Will work for ammo!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Metairie
    Yes dude get the MTAC. I carry a XD .40 4in everyday in my MTAC. Matter of fact its right next to me on the sofa while I type this.

Frnchyse

Will work for ammo!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Metairie
    Heres a quick webcam shot of my XD in my MTAC
    Snapshot_20090630.jpg

Gbav1

Concealed Carrier
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Marrero,La.
    I carry mainly 3 guns, 1st a glock26 in a done hume J.I.T. owb holster,2nd a taurus45acp in a Don Hume owb pancake holster with a fbi cant, and a ultralite 38special snubbie,in a Don hume owb pancake holster. Can you kinda see whrer this is going.
    I love the fit and quality of D H holsters,by the way they are all leftys, buy them online,shipped straight to your door step. I personally hate the way IWB holsters feel, I found that if you wear a wife beater tucked in your pants,(thats if you wear pants)
    then you can throw anykind of top shirt on. Most of the time for me thats a tee shirt.
    Very Concealable.and comfty too.

Top Bottom