CCW holster options for Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MONK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    my vote goes to...

I suggest a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. They run between 80-100. The only catch is you will probably have to wait about 6 months for it to come in as they are not machine made. I have worn one for a G23 for 3 years full time (approx 5 days a week). Extremely comfortable to me. I will concede IWB carry comfortableness can depend on body type. If you aren't happy with the wait, I think Galco and a couple other well known companies make some pretty close.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    www.tuckergunleather.com

I just ordered The Answer and it is by far the nicest holster I've owned. It tops the MTAC and Crossbreed I used to carry with. Turn around time is quoted at three weeks, I got mine in just over two.

It seems a lot of people feel "The Answer" is a bit too thick, where as the minotaur is thinner and therefore more comfortable. What's your opinion on this?

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    I wear a Raven Concelament Phantom and it does great for me. I have learned over the years, a holster or a rifle sling is a very personal piece of equipment. What works for some may not work for others. If you have a chance to borrow some holsters to see what works for you, that would be a good start.
    There is also a guy on Glocktalk who goes by Swinkster and he makes a great Raven type holster.
    Good luck with your new pistol.

+1

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    It seems a lot of people feel "The Answer" is a bit too thick, where as the minotaur is thinner and therefore more comfortable. What's your opinion on this?

I used my buddies comptac and the answer i use for a week each before deciding. I don't see how it's any thicker. Maybe a fraction of an inch due to a second layer of leather? I didn't notice any difference. I'm fact, the comptac felt much bigger due to extra leather around the edges. It got in the way of getting in my pockets and stuff where the tucker doesn't. Don't get me wrong, both are very comfy! The tucker does have a straight piece of kydex where the comptac had a curve to it where it mounts to the leather. The comptac fit better at 3:00 on my, where the tucker fits better at 4:00 (which is where I carry anyway).

My 1 cent, but I did try both and play with both.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I just started using a Galco Royal Guard. It's very comfortable. Drove 8 hours up to Nashville with it at 4o'clock and felt fine.

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    Can't be used for OC, but I LOVE my vanguard for chp. all it ises a piece of c-shaped plastic that clips onto your glock's triggerguard. smallest "holster" available, if you want to call it that. Really, its a device to keep your gun from firing while in your pants, it's up to you to tighten your belt and stuff 'er in your pants gangster style. the lack having a regular IWB means you have to secure it yourself, but I love the tiny footprint of the vanguard. For me, the extra stealth is worth the hassle of not having an IWB, YMMV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    762; do you own a Glock 19? A Fricke holster? Im not trying to bust your balls but holsters are a very subjective things and recommending one based on how swell a guy the maker is is likely to be a fail. I think its best that we leave the blanket adoration of personalities to the fan sights like Warrior Talk.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    I have a Comptac MTAC that I carry my Glock 19 in. Comfortable, well made, and securely holds the firearm.

Edit: Forgot to add I have numerous "Raven" type kydex holsters for the 19, and 17... for OWB. So far for OWB they seem to work well also.

Last edited:

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    I have a Comptac MTAC that I carry my Glock 19 in. Comfortable, well made, and securely holds the firearm.

Edit: Forgot to add I have numerous "Raven" type kydex holsters for the 19, and 17... for OWB. So far for OWB they seem to work well also.

Thanks for the post. I like the look of the Raven for OWB, but it doesn't seem to convert well to IWB from what they show on the Raven Website. The Comptac MTAC is appearing to be one of the best choices for my current needs. I might give it a chance.

Where do you carry your MTAC at? 3 oclock or 4 oclock?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The MTAC is pretty wide and designed for 4:00-5:00 carry, unless you're a really big guy. I've been carrying in an MTAC for about 4 years. It's very comfortable, highly adjustable and I'll keep using it until I find something better. I would prefer an all kydex holster, but I've yet to find one I like and I've tried a bunch.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    RM Holsters Low Rider.

If I can conceal a S&W 645 (A mighty big gun) IWB, a G19 is nothing.

I've spent THOUSANDS of dollars on holsters. I've got Galco's, Sparks, CompTac's, Don Hume's, Blackhawks, Crossbreed, etc.

But, as others have said, its going to be a personal choice as to what feels good for you. Besides the RM, the ONLY other holster I'm comfortable with is a Barber Holster Works leather IWB for a G26/27.

Last edited:

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    Thanks for the post. I like the look of the Raven for OWB, but it doesn't seem to convert well to IWB from what they show on the Raven Website. The Comptac MTAC is appearing to be one of the best choices for my current needs. I might give it a chance.

Where do you carry your MTAC at? 3 oclock or 4 oclock?

I carry at 4'oclock. The holder is adjustable so you can adjust the cant to fit your needs too. I haven't tried the Raven IWB, because it didn't look comfortable to me (I like a leather backing against my skin, not plastic..personal preference I guess)...and I don't want to play around switching a holster from OWB to IWB... so I just buy one for each :-)

I think I have one actual Raven holster, the rest are Atomic Dog, NTAC, etc... I haven't looked lately, but Raven's wait time at one point was like 6 months. I think I had my MTAC in a couple days.

Aaron

Last edited:

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I carry at 4'oclock. The holder is adjustable so you can adjust the cant to fit your needs too. I haven't tried the Raven IWB, because it didn't look comfortable to me (I like a leather backing against my skin, not plastic..personal preference I guess)...and I don't want to play around switching a holster from OWB to IWB... so I just buy one for each :-)

I think I have one actual Raven holster, the rest are Atomic Dog, NTAC, etc... I haven't looked lately, but Raven's wait time at one point was like 6 months. I think I had my MTAC in a couple days.

Aaron

I just got my Raven for my M&P. I ordered using the quick ship option and it got here in 17 days. I believe they have the quick ship holsters for all Glocks and M&Ps.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    The MTAC is pretty wide and designed for 4:00-5:00 carry, unless you're a really big guy. I've been carrying in an MTAC for about 4 years. It's very comfortable, highly adjustable and I'll keep using it until I find something better. I would prefer an all kydex holster, but I've yet to find one I like and I've tried a bunch.

Aaron

what are your opinions on getting a G19 specific holster, or a slide model that could hold a 19 or a 26 if I ever decided to get the baby glock? What are the disadvantages of the slide?

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
    - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I have the slide model and have carried my 26, 19 and 17 in it. I have no idea what advantage the full length holster offers. Even though the muzzle is exposed, it's in your pants so it doesn't matter.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    It seems MOST people adore the combination of leather and kydex, myself I hated it.

I now carry 99% of the time OWB so I cannot share much wisdom on IWB holsters but as mentioned before its a personal preference.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    I have the slide model and have carried my 26, 19 and 17 in it. I have no idea what advantage the full length holster offers. Even though the muzzle is exposed, it's in your pants so it doesn't matter.

I've heard the exposed slide meant that it is possible to hit the end of the gun and accidentally knock it up out of the holster. You had anything like that happen?

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
    - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom