CCW Instructor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Who ever said that? Not that I really recommend OC'ing at all because of the hassle involved.

I'm messing with you. From time to time people come on here and tell some of the crazy **** they've been told by their instructor.

That can't OC after you get a CHP has been one of the things.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I'm messing with you. From time to time people come on here and tell some of the crazy **** they've been told by their instructor.

That can't OC after you get a CHP has been one of the things.

wow... lol. I hear "shoot to wound" a lot, but nevertrade one right for the other. We should make a "dumbest thing your instructor has told you" thread : P

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Not a instructor but a LEO story. My buddy got his CHP about a year ago and the Police Chief from a very small dept told him he couldn't have his "clip" in his gun in his car. :rolleyes: :D

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Well, I got my instructor insurance. Was pretty easy, I've never bought insurance online before. Took five minutes.
    Looks like I'm set up to a weekday evening class, but I'd like to do a weekend class too, somewhere. If anyone has any suggestions on where I might get a classroom/range for weekend use I'd really appreciate it.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Which insurance did you go with ????? if you dont mind me asking, you can PM me if you want to take it offline .......

Not sure if there are new options now, I have been with the same one for a while now so who knows

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Who ever said that? Not that I really recommend OC'ing at all because of the hassle involved.
    Actually there is a instructor in the New orleanas area who is telling his students that. When LOCAL offered him some of our handouts he told us. Not all instructors are teaching the correct information.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Actually there is a instructor in the New orleanas area who is telling his students that. When LOCAL offered him some of our handouts he told us. Not all instructors are teaching the correct information.

Wait, he was telling his students they weren't allowed to OC ever? Did you ask him which statute that came from, or what planet He's from?

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Well, my first class is scheduled for a weekday evening split course, not the Best possible outcome, but certainly the best compromise between myself and the range hosting me. I'm satisfied with it. I guess we'll see if there's a client base for it lol.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Wait, he was telling his students they weren't allowed to OC ever? Did you ask him which statute that came from, or what planet He's from?
    CHP Instructor John Gauthier of OnTarget tells his students that once they have a CHP they may not openly carry a pistol in La. This is straight from him to me and another LOCAL member after we offered him some of our pamphlets to include with other teaching materials. We have also heard from students of his that he is teaching this in his class.
    Specifically, Mr Gauthier stated that if a person was issued a permit by the state and was carrying that permit in his pocket, he must cover/conceal his firearm. If the person wants to open carry he must leave his permit at home or not have one on his person when open carrying.

Last edited:

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    CHP Instructor John Gauthier of OnTarget tells his students that once they have a CHP they may not openly carry a pistol in La. This is straight from him to me and another LOCAL member after we offered him some of our pamphlets to include with other teaching materials. We have also heard from students of his that he is teaching this in his class.
    Specifically, Mr Gauthier stated that if a person was issued a permit by the state and was carrying that permit in his pocket, he must cover/conceal his firearm. If the person wants to open carry he must leave his permit at home or not have one on his person when open carrying.

I'm not going to call the man a liar, but I am aware of zero statutes or regulations that come anywhere close to saying that. I wonder who told him that or if he ever bothered to call LSP to find out if he was full of it.
    /shrug.
    Btw, I'd like a few of your pamphlets, where can I get them?

NRA Iota

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    The Suburbs of Iota
    Having the concealed handgun permit gives you the priviledge of "concealing" your handgun. That means you have the option of open carry or concealed. Anyone can legally open carry.

Top Bottom