CCW / Medical Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Splash

Resident Basket Case
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Sulphur, La
    CCW / Medical Questionm <<Permit Received>>

Well today I got a letter from the concealed permit people saying that application was put in hold because the found something on my medical records. When I was 8 years old I really didn’t want to go to school, to the point where I left school and walked home. Well after a couple of times the school had me go to a doctor to see what was wrong with me, apparently this doctor was a shrink and his office was a mental health clinic. I got this letter and questionnaire that needs filling out, plus write a letter stating my current mental conditions and why I didn’t disclose this info. All this happened 23 years ago when I was 8 years old, I had honestly completely forgot about it and didn’t know I was actually sent to see a shrink. Got a call in to Sgt. Reavis hopefully he'll call back Monday. Anybody else have this sort of problem where they forgot something on their application and had to resubmit. My main concern is what if the doctor that fills in this questionnaire according to his political opinion rather than his medical opinion.

Splash
    "Resident Basket Case"

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Thanks Charlie! I don't read OC except when it's linked from here. :)

Interesting thread.... Or it would be without MEM's "This is OC, not CC"

Last edited:

Splash

Resident Basket Case
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Sulphur, La
    This is two of the questions:

1. In your professional opinion does the patient's condition for which he/she has sought treatment reach the level of physical or mental/judgment impairment, which would prevent them from the safe handling of a handgun. (If "Yes" please give details)

2. In your professional opinion, does the patient condition for which he/she has sought treatment pose any threat or risk of injury to themselves or others? (If "Yes" please give details)

All the questions start with "In your professional opinion" and if answered in that fashion I don’t see any problems just that was 23 years ago. Chances are the original doctor is not there anymore so whoever answers these questions is going to answer based off his view of the notes taken from the original doctor.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I know what you mean. :)

Geeze.... I'm on page four of this thing. My vote is to start this same question in a new thread on BS.com so we can actually get some decent info.

It's actually pertinent to me since I was diagnosed with post partum depression and I have an Obama fan for a GYN. Love her, she's great and I think I trust her to be professional but I'm a bit nervous over the idea.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I understand your problem, I've been reading for quiet some time how anti the AMA has become. I hope your Dr. can leave her politics out of it. I have a friend that was under treatment for depression. They kicked her CHP app. back and her Dr. said she was good to go and she got her CHP.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Splash, the only thing I got from the thread Charlie posted was to find a psychologist and spend a little bit of money for a full mental evaluation, and have that therapist sign off on the form. That might work for you.

I was just going to skip the medical mental part because geeze, it was four months of Zoloft or Lexapro until I got my hormones back, seven and three years ago. Now I guess I'll go ahead, save the trouble of getting a form back and do the leg work the first time.

Rhans405

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    This is two of the questions:

1. In your professional opinion does the patient's condition for which he/she has sought treatment reach the level of physical or mental/judgment impairment, which would prevent them from the safe handling of a handgun. (If "Yes" please give details)

2. In your professional opinion, does the patient condition for which he/she has sought treatment pose any threat or risk of injury to themselves or others? (If "Yes" please give details)

All the questions start with "In your professional opinion" and if answered in that fashion I don’t see any problems just that was 23 years ago. Chances are the original doctor is not there anymore so whoever answers these questions is going to answer based off his view of the notes taken from the original doctor.

One can see how those questions open up medicolegal responsibilities for the physician. The physician fills out the questionaire and the patient eventually goes berserk then the physician has some liability on his hands. I can see the physician's choice to avoid this form.

Geeze.... I'm on page four of this thing. My vote is to start this same question in a new thread on BS.com so we can actually get some decent info.

It's actually pertinent to me since I was diagnosed with post partum depression and I have an Obama fan for a GYN. Love her, she's great and I think I trust her to be professional but I'm a bit nervous over the idea.

Most physicians are conservative. I guess some are liberal whackos though. :D

Splash

Resident Basket Case
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Sulphur, La
    I called the mental health clinic and they told me due to it being so long that my records were purged or destroyed if you will. I then called Seargent Reavis and told him that my records were destroyed due to them being so old and he told me just to get a letter stating so sent to him and that would be sufficent no need for the questionnare. He told me that because of my age and there being no records that there was no need for an explanation as to why I was seen, since as far he knows it could of just been something ordered due to a divorce, etc. I still had to send in a notarized letter stating why I didn't put it on the application and send it in. I asked how long after he received everything it would take for my application and he told it would be 1-2 weeks depending on when they do a printing. The people at LSP that do the CHP are REAL helpful and Seargent Reavis will do whatever he can to help you out :bigok:

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Splash: I don't understand how and why the LSP would know about something that ocurred in elementary school. I had nothing on the application that would require that I provide my PCP's name. I did sign the medical waiver and it was duly notararized and attached to the application.
    I also don't see how the LSP could know where you attended school, since that information isn't disclosed or required. Living in NW Louisiana and given that BAFB, GM, GE and other major corporations had/has a major presence here, families relocated in and out of here regularly. School records for some, my kids included, are in 4 different states, although I know records, scholastic type, are provided to the new school.
    Just seems odd to me that the LSP picked up on this for you.

Splash

Resident Basket Case
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Sulphur, La
    Your the third person to wonder how they picked up on that. The lady at the health clinic asked how did they find out about it since it was so old. All I did was sign the medical waiver and answered the questions appropriately, how they found out I don't. The lady at the healthclininc is pretty furious they did find out and wants to know how.

Splash

Resident Basket Case
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Sulphur, La
    The only thing I could think of was the health clinic was part of Louisiana Department Health Hospitals namely Avoyelles Mental Health Clinic. I mentioned this to the lady in charge of the medical records and she said it didn't matter whether they were part of the state or not, that they should't have had access to any of that info.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I wonder how they find out about any of this stuff at all? It's not like some sort of magical CSI database for all medical files is out there. :confused:

not yet, but if many members in Congress get their way, we will have a national database for every medical record that every heath care professional would have access to.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    not yet, but if many members in Congress get their way, we will have a national database for every medical record that every heath care professional would have access to.

I own a physical therapy clinic and am well aware of HIPPA patient privacy regulations. I can't remember signing a release of medical information when I applied for my CCP. If you did not sign a release then the information may have been given out illegally.

Top Bottom