CCW question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daygooz3v

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    My lease is up on my apartment in Feb and im planning on taking my CCW class and getting my permit, should i wait until i move and have a permanent address or does it really matter what address is on the permit. Thanks

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    You can get it now and then when you actually move, let the CHP office know that you moved and what your new address is. I'm not sure if they will send you a new permit or not, but I'm certain that the one with the old address would be legal while you wait, if they do send you a new one. However, IANAL/CHP instructor, so maybe wait for a person better suited.

Either way, I would do it now if I were you.

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    If you were issued a permit today, you could call in February if you get a new address and have them change it in the system.
    I've seen some people say they were sent a new license, some say they weren't.

I've changed my address online and was never sent a new one. I called and they told me that they only want your new address to send you mail.

If I were you, I'd wait though. You still haven't found & taken a class, getting all of the things together can take time. Then you send everything off and a week later call them and say "Oh hey I just moved, can you change all of that paper work for me that I just submitted?"

Take your class, get everything ready & then mail it off once you move.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I would say get it now and change your address with them later. I changed from a P.O. Box to my street address with no problem.

operator223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I put a PO box on my permit for several reasons, some of which you might laugh at.

CCW permits are public records in louisiana, and anyone can look them up and see who's got a gun to steal...... or so I've been told. A PO box gives a bit of an edge in security and convenenience anyways.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I put a PO box on my permit for several reasons, some of which you might laugh at.

CCW permits are public records in louisiana, and anyone can look them up and see who's got a gun to steal...... or so I've been told. A PO box gives a bit of an edge in security and convenenience anyways.

What percentage of the houses in La. do you think are without guns?

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    i put a po box on my permit for several reasons, some of which you might laugh at.

Ccw permits are public records in louisiana, and anyone can look them up and see who's got a gun to steal...... Or so i've been told. A po box gives a bit of an edge in security and convenenience anyways.

rs 40:1379.3(2)

1379.3. Statewide permits for concealed handguns; application procedures; definitions

(2) any information in any application for a concealed handgun permit or any information provided in connection with the application submitted to the deputy secretary of public safety services of the department of public safety and corrections under the provisions of this section shall be held confidential and shall not be subject to any public records request nor shall the information be considered as a public record pursuant to r.s. 44:1 et seq. The department of public safety and corrections shall not release any list of persons who applied for or received a permit for a concealed handgun pursuant to this section. However, nothing contained herein shall limit or impede the free flow of information between law enforcement agencies, prohibit the department from releasing information necessary to perform the background investigation, or provide statistical information which does not identify individual applicants or permittees.

Last edited:

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    When are you taking the class? You would probably be ok just using your current address and changing it when you move. The first time I changed my address online, they sent me a new one. The second time, I didn't get anything so I called, and the lady said, oh we don't send you a new permit, I told her I got one the last time I did, and she said "OK, well I'll send you another one." Not sure if it matters though. I wish it was that easy to change the address on my drivers license though.

daygooz3v

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    i was planning on taking my class the first weekend in Jan, thanks for all the help i think im going to get it done ASAP and then go ahead and do a change of address

daygooz3v

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Finally got around to taking the class yesterday and mailed in my paperwork today. How long have most of you guys been waiting to get the permit in the mail?

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Finally got around to taking the class yesterday and mailed in my paperwork today. How long have most of you guys been waiting to get the permit in the mail?

I was told to expect 45 days but it was actually a lot shorter. Just how long, I don't remember anymore.

jjb5730

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Pierre Part
    It all depends on the time of year...its going pretty quick right now. When I did mine it took three months. My buddy sent his in on January 3rd and got his permit on the 22nd. But he actually brought his in in person, so I assume that helped speed up the process.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Go do you finger print electronically at State Police office in Baton Rouge to avoid an error with your prints. I did my own prints and the card was perfect (or so I thought), but I got a letter saying one was messed up so I had to send in another card and wait a little longer.

daygooz3v

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    i heard sometimes those electronic prints are not coming out right and they have you come back to get them again. i had my fingerprints taken during my ccw class.

Top Bottom