CCW question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nutz275

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Sunset
    During CC, is it legal to have the outline of your handgun seen by others or illegal? It is a gray area for me and I just want to make sure of it before it becomes a public issue. I use a 5.11 holster shirt, but sometimes I think it can be seen under my arm.

Any responses greatly appreciated.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Good question. I have been wondering what the "law" is on printing also... I normally use an IWB holster but sometimes use an OWB holster that with certain clothing prints somewhat. I might be just a little paranoid of this but you can see the print of the bottom of the mag and the grip....

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Being able to tell your carrying will just give people something to cry about. And you may loose some tactical advantage. It's sometimes easy to tell who's carrying, just walking around Walmart. But not illegal. Just keep it covered.

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Its legal in LA to open carry so I don't think printing a concealed gun should be an issue. If it is.... tell the LEO that stops you that you're open carrying. :D

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    LA is an open-carry state, so it's not an issue here (other than letting others know you are carrying)- but it is in some other states- like Texas (which is NOT an OC state).

Be sure you aren't "printing" if you travel there. :)

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I carry OWB a lot and don't print. Get a proper holster or don't where skin tight clothes. Sure if I make some extreme movements the gun might not print, but I will tell you people are completely oblivious to there surroundings and most don't even notice you are carrying a gun, even if carrying openly.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I'd rather not have to get into a pissing match with a cop who doesn't know the law. What no one knows, doesn't hurt them.

Legal or not won't stop a dumbass LEO from arresting you if he wants to, Just ask MEM. ;)

I think there's a law/rule about it somewhere but I can't find it now.

If you didn't have a CHP and was printing what would you be arrested for??? Carrying a concealed handgun. :)

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    That's what I'm saying. You'd be surprised how many LEOs don't know the law. Most do, but a lot don't.

I know what you're talking about but I'm not surprised. I see and read it all the time. I've had my CHP since LSP started doing them years ago and know I print from time to time.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    I am speaking of printing when I make certain movements. I agree that most people are totally oblivious to the fact. I am just trying to make sure not to get arrested b/c a possible law enforcement officer might not have an understanding of the law. I don't want to wear 4x shirts and look like I have the sagging pants syndrome!!! LOL Is there an actual law written regarding this? I cannot find one but I am not a googlefu expert either!!
    I carry OWB a lot and don't print. Get a proper holster or don't where skin tight clothes. Sure if I make some extreme movements the gun might not print, but I will tell you people are completely oblivious to there surroundings and most don't even notice you are carrying a gun, even if carrying openly.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    No worries here man, you're good regardless. No cop is going to arrest you for profiling, it's possible he'd harass you, but I'd doubt it.
    In other states, they don't play though. I was told by an Extremely displeased HPD officer that I needed a longer overshirt.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I never got the printing crap in Texas. I understand OC is a no-no there, but printing? Really?

Kind of goes against what you'd think most Texans thought about guns... I guess stereotype is stereotype.

NRA Iota

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    The Suburbs of Iota
    I was in south Texas the other day...and yes, OC is a no-no.....and I was "advised" to conceal more because I was printing on my front pocket.
    He was border enforcement. I guess concealed really means concealed over there.
    Over here....you good to go , as long as you dont make some anti-gun weirdo suspicious.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    You could get a "shoot me first" vest, complete with one of these:

images

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    LA is an open-carry state, so it's not an issue here (other than letting others know you are carrying)- but it is in some other states- like Texas (which is NOT an OC state).

Be sure you aren't "printing" if you travel there. :)

Very true. I've gotten into some "hot water" because of the stupid printing issue here.

Top Bottom