ccw; what do you like

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    if you get a NEW XD9sc, it comes with a flush 13 round mag, so small gun with 13 rounds of 9mm +p jhp's should be sufficient for any situation. I have the 13 round mag on order...

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    G19 + 642 if i'm wearing something with a belt and a shirt loose enough to hide the 19.

642 only if i'm wearing something with pockets (which is, obviously, damn near 100% of the time.)

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Poll on a nation wide forum had 2867 or 88.3% CCW a semi auto and 380 or 11.7% CCW a revolver.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    This question keeps coming up and the answers are always dominated by GLOCK 26/27 & J-frame .38spl. For very good reasons, too.
    I have 3 KelTec .380's; the clip magazines fall out of all 3 regularly. Walther mags come apart in the gun and bullets fall out onto the floor. Rugers jam on loading. The 1911's have to be manually "decocked".
    G 26/27; carry a couple extra mags or one big one and you've got reasonable power and capacity in a weapon that is likely to be there WHEN YOU NEED IT ! leVieux

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Polls are largely 88.3% full of ****.

I know 50 people that have CCWs and would tell you they carry an auto - but 88.3% of the time they aren't carrying anything.

Kind of like that guy who gathers everyone around to tell them that a .45 is the only bullet that will get the job done... but isn't carrying anything.

+1 :thumbsup:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    So far in this thread it is Semi auto 81% and revolver 19% but we were told polls are 88.3% incorrect.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Get a revolver for a CCW in my own opinion, they're far more reliable, easier to conceal, light, and inexpensive. You can even put a laser on them if you want to be really cool. Plus if you really feel the need to carry a powerful recoiling round you can get a .357 magnum. Heck the muzzle flash alone with that round would leave them in the burn unit. :)

Dave

This.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Revolvers are thick! Think about how you dress when you buy a gun to ccw. Shorts and a t-shirt? Khaki's and a tucked in polo? both can be challenging. A good holster can make a big difference.

I'm happy with my Keltec P3at. Its very flat and doesn't print. I don't think I could do that with a J frame.
    I shot a Kahr recently (I can't remember whose it was, but I was at the BZ). Nice gun, very flat, 9mm. Were I starting over it would be a tough choice. For now I'll stick w/ my keltec.
    BTW, I've always felt that my ccw gun was intended to get me back to my vehicle or house where I had something more substantial.

I generally carry my 605 in my front pocket.

Gbav1

Concealed Carrier
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Marrero,La.
    I carry a Glock-26, which is very concealable, I go out the house with just a t-shirt on and you can't till I am carrying. If I could only have one gun, it would be th G-26, or a ultralite 38special snub nose. The advantage of the G-26 is the 9mm ammo is the cheapest ammo you can buy right now.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    If you ask 10 people who CC, you will get 9 different answers as to what is the best CCW. Most of them, however, will agree that at some point, you're going to want a pocket gun like the P3AT/LCP for a BUG/deep concealment. Personally, I like 1911s; they're slim, comfortable to carry and shoot, and fit well in my hand. I don't like Glocks, not because I think they're bad guns, but because I don't shoot them as well as I shoot a 1911. Additionally, they are thicker than a 1911 and as a result less comfortable for me to carry.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    There is no perfect gun or caliber for all situations. That just means you have to buy a few and swap them out as needed:D

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    There is no perfect gun or caliber for all situations. That just means you have to buy a few and swap them out as needed:D

Exactly. It depends on what I'm wearing that will dictate what gun is going on me, the type of pants, jeans, or shorts I'm wearing. I didn't say that before as the OP mentioned a $500 budget, but I'm of the opinion have a few for whatever your wearing & go with the biggest one you can fit without printing.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dusty84
    Top Bottom