Cell signal boosters

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    Anybody use one? Or recommend one? I have lousy reception in my home. If I forget to put my phone in one certain area I miss calls. I was looking at one from Wilson Electronics that's got a couple of good reviews at Best Buy. Sells for about $200. Seems like a lot but considering I missed 2 calls tonight that cost me about $350-400 in lost work it's reasonable if it works.

Unit505

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    I've never used one, but I do know for a fact that some cell companies have been busting people using them in rural areas. If you check out the web, it says that these boosters are currently legal, but the FCC is proposing a ban on them. They can be tracked down just like a cb amplifier if being used at home. A stationary signal can be tracked with relatively low tech equipment and signal strength meters. If your booster blocks a neighbors cell signal and it is able to be tracked down, the carrier can ASK you to remove it. Still no laws that I can find that make it illegal. Now....if your with carrier A and your neighbor is also with carrier A, your cell company could cut your service. They could care less if you have a booster and blocking cell service from another provider. I'd just do some research.

yamaha0343

Glock > XD
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    Might wanna check with Sam's Audio, I know they do that stuff. I tried the AT&T Microcell for a couple days, it was a joke. If you find something that works, let us know. Reception sucks in the Bourg area too.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I've never used one, but I do know for a fact that some cell companies have been busting people using them in rural areas. If you check out the web, it says that these boosters are currently legal, but the FCC is proposing a ban on them. They can be tracked down just like a cb amplifier if being used at home. A stationary signal can be tracked with relatively low tech equipment and signal strength meters. If your booster blocks a neighbors cell signal and it is able to be tracked down, the carrier can ASK you to remove it. Still no laws that I can find that make it illegal. Now....if your with carrier A and your neighbor is also with carrier A, your cell company could cut your service. They could care less if you have a booster and blocking cell service from another provider. I'd just do some research.

The problem Cell phone carriers have is that these devices, called bi-directional amplifiers, are sometimes installed improperly. There is an antenna that should be outside and communicates with the tower, and another that should be mounted inside that communicates with your cell phone. The problem is some genius will put both antennas near each other and the device becomes a noise generator as it attempts to boost it's own signal and oscillates. This causes severe interference to the carrier who has limited frequencies and is usually utilizing all of them in every area. This interference raises the base noise level that everyone else's signal has to overcome to get through. That reduces coverage and performance for everyone in the area.

If properly installed, the cell phone providers don't care if you use it. The cell service provider is tasked with isolating the interference and then asking the owner to shut it down. If they refuse, then the FCC will be notified and they will explain the hefty fine for intentional interference, which is definitely illegal. The carriers will not just report this and at least one will offer suggestions on how to properly install it.

Many of these devices are not specific to one carrier and when oscillating can cause interference to all of them. If operating properly, the carriers will not know and not care that you are using one.

I have tracked these things down and my advice is to keep the antennas away from each other and if power is adjustable, set it as low as possible but still works for you. The donor antenna which is the one that talks to the tower, should be outside and as high as possible.

You really don't have to worry about someone from the FCC serving you a fine without warning. The carrier will/should track down the interfering signal and nicely ask you to turn it off or may help you to remedy the trouble - especially if you are their customer.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I work in remote areas and the two names I have heard of recently are Wilson and zBoost. One coworker had a Wilson that he mounted to a telescoping pool net pole that he would entend up to get it higher and thus more coverage. It defenately helped and signal was a non issue once he turned it on.

CaVbRef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Sprint has Airave

Every carrier has an in-home cell that can use your high speed internet connection to make service available in poor coverage areas.

Sprint's is called the Airave and it all depends on the customer rep as to how much it can cost or whether it will be free.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom