Cenla Folks - Sheriff's race

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I've been watching this one fairly close. Spec and I are both at a loss on how to vote. Hilton coming back... We thought Wagner has been doing a good job but the fact Hilton kept it, sometimes unchallenged, for many years...

Any one care to offer opinions? :confused:

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    My opinion only: No way I'm voting for Wagner. I didn't vote for him the first time and was really unhappy with him after he took over. Mind you, I have not seen any figures to prove this, but do have a few friends in the SO. Several of them told me that Wagner was in such a rush to paint cars, change uniforms, and get new duty weapons that he ran out of money before all of the guns could be purchased. This may not be a big deal, but to me it showed that his ego was more important than the budget. Also, I understand that there is no chance that he will sign off on a class III. Not a problem for many, but for me it is. Haven't looked in to the details yet, but I am curious about his recent legal troubles.

I like Hilton. He has proven he can handle the job. He will sign off on class III (on a case by case basis, of course). The only thing that scares me about Hilton is that guys that have known him for a large part of their lives agree that there is a fair chance that Hilton will win and after just a little while, go back into retirement. This would allow somone else to take over for him without them having to run without much chance of winning. Who knows...

I have almost no doubt that Baden can handle the job. Great guy and easy to talk to, although that has nothing to do with this. I have known him on a professional level for several years. He also goes to my church and I have asked him how he feels about class III and he also likes them and will approve on a case by case.Of course I can't speak to his accomplishments, since he has never been Sherrif. He does have enough experience with RPSO to be familiar with how things -should- be done, and I don't think he would get on such an ego trip.

Short answer: My vote will go to either Hilton or Baden. I am torn between these two, but IF I knew Hilton would stay, then that might seal the deal for me. I would love to see Baden with the job, but I am not sure he can secure enough votes.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I'm voting Hilton for the class 3 reason too along with other things. Wagner has not impressed me at all.

talbtimber

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Pineville, LA
    Yeah Rapides,
    One vote here for Baden. I liked Hilton when he was in the first time. But, I'm not sure Hilton's getting back in for the right reasons what Lost said about him going back in retirement and turning the office over to someone else makes sense.

Sent from my I897 using Tapatalk

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Kinda burns my ass too about wagner saying he set up the sex offender site when I've been to the state police web site before he was elected and it was there then..I mean what did he do put a link on the RPSO sight and take credit?

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    My opinion only: No way I'm voting for Wagner. I didn't vote for him the first time and was really unhappy with him after he took over. Mind you, I have not seen any figures to prove this, but do have a few friends in the SO. Several of them told me that Wagner was in such a rush to paint cars, change uniforms, and get new duty weapons that he ran out of money before all of the guns could be purchased. This may not be a big deal, but to me it showed that his ego was more important than the budget. Also, I understand that there is no chance that he will sign off on a class III. Not a problem for many, but for me it is. Haven't looked in to the details yet, but I am curious about his recent legal troubles.

I like Hilton. He has proven he can handle the job. He will sign off on class III (on a case by case basis, of course). The only thing that scares me about Hilton is that guys that have known him for a large part of their lives agree that there is a fair chance that Hilton will win and after just a little while, go back into retirement. This would allow somone else to take over for him without them having to run without much chance of winning. Who knows...

I have almost no doubt that Baden can handle the job. Great guy and easy to talk to, although that has nothing to do with this. I have known him on a professional level for several years. He also goes to my church and I have asked him how he feels about class III and he also likes them and will approve on a case by case.Of course I can't speak to his accomplishments, since he has never been Sherrif. He does have enough experience with RPSO to be familiar with how things -should- be done, and I don't think he would get on such an ego trip.

Short answer: My vote will go to either Hilton or Baden. I am torn between these two, but IF I knew Hilton would stay, then that might seal the deal for me. I would love to see Baden with the job, but I am not sure he can secure enough votes.

Thanks Vic. This is what I was wondering about. I remember the first two or three months of Wagner's term. He was slaughtered by the media over some of his decisions. I never realized he ran out of money before the important items were purchased. Interesting about the Class III and that's very pertinent to us as well. I admit I haven't paid much attention and since I haven't "heard" of complaints, assumed folks have been happy.

I agree, Hilton coming in leaves me questioning how long he is going to stay. We did vote for Slocum when he ran.

BTW: Were you at Super One in Pineville yesterday? If so we may have exchanged money :D, and my little boy was very happy with his popcorn last night.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    No, wasn't our group at Super 1. It is some good popcorn, though. Thanks for supporting the scouts!

I hope Henry or Jeff will chime in soon, because there's a couple of guys in the club that are class III dealers and I understand they had problems with Wagner and the whole refusal to sign off. Been quite a while since I went to a match, so one of them could probably tell you more about all of that.

I could easily be wrong about how low the $$ got, because like I said, I haven't seen the books. I just know that several of the deputies told me they weren't able to get their new gun for a while becasue the money was gone.

ETA: Yeah, I voted for Slocum as well the last time. Worked for him several times outside the S.O. and liked the kind of guy he seemed to be as well as his qualifications. A little birdie told me that "when" Hilton wins and retires again, it won't be Slocum taking over. His words, not mine.

Last edited:

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Kinda burns my ass too about wagner saying he set up the sex offender site when I've been to the state police web site before he was elected and it was there then..I mean what did he do put a link on the RPSO sight and take credit?

That's probably exactly what happened.

Top Bottom