Cerakote or Duracoat

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usads07

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    New Orleans
    I have a SIG 1911 that is stainless and I am experiencing light surface rust when I store it. I have tried a light coat of Remoil, CLP, etc. and am still having problems. The 1911 is a commemorative model from Operation New Dawn and was engraved specifically for my unit once we returned from Iraq in 2011. I am thinking of getting a Cerakote or Duracoat finish to help preserve the pistol. Any thoughts on the best coating to get that would help preserve it's life without covering / filling in the engravings? The pistol is fully functional and I have put approximately 1,000 rounds through it. Shoots very well, reliable and it's a 1911. Also, does anyone have experience with reputable gunsmiths in the area that offer Cerakote / Duracoat services? I am currently stationed in New Orleans at Tulane University and would be more than willing to travel 100 miles or so to have the work done. Thanks in advance for the input.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    Two things come to mind for me, first is it sounds like a special piece and would coating in anything detract from it's value in the long run? Second, the coating might fill or partially fill some shallow engraving. I like Duracoat because it's easy to apply yourself and is extremely durable. It is a little thick and while it won't fill in serial numbers or deeper engraving like manufacturer/model, it could take away something from decorative engraving that is usually shallow. Actually, a third thing too, what if you wanted to remove the coating? I am pretty sure there are some chemicals that can be used to strip Duracoat, but not certain about Cerakote. Either may be difficult to remove from engraved areas.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    For something that special, I would go with robar's np3. Cerakote is demonstrably very much stronger than durakote.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455561011.867321.jpg
    Here's one that I recently finished. If you want it done I'll take good care of you. Give me a call at (225)244-1686. I have done work for a bunch of members here. Check out some of my work at aagunsmithing.com or on face book at All American Gunsmithing.

usads07

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    New Orleans
    Appreciate all of the input. Seems like Baton rouge is the place. Will be checking out all of the places that you guys recommended. Once again. Thanks.

Top Bottom