Cheapest 22lr

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    Just about any firearm websites will offer one or more cheaper .22 rifles or handguns although it is generally cheaper in the long run to go to your local Academy. No FFL charges or shipping charges and 90% of the time it will be a stock item. Best bet for new firearm IMHO!!!

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Cheap does not necessarily equate to good. Sometimes it is better to pay the going rate for an established model (think 10/22) than a cheaper alternative that will not hold a good group, constantly has problems (FTF, FTE), or is not amenable to upgrades.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Wally World is hard to beat when it comes to ammo prices and if you live far enough away from NOLA you might even find some that still sell guns. You could get a 10/22 and a couple thousand rounds of ammo to go along with it cheaper than anywhere else locally.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    Wally World is hard to beat when it comes to ammo prices and if you live far enough away from NOLA you might even find some that still sell guns. You could get a 10/22 and a couple thousand rounds of ammo to go along with it cheaper than anywhere else locally.
    Excellent points. To add to this, You can also get a cheap scope there as well. We have a walmart Bushnell scope on an old marlin 22lr and it works great.

One benefit of the Marlin is no maganzies to worries about. You load in the tube under the barrel.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Excellent points. To add to this, You can also get a cheap scope there as well. We have a walmart Bushnell scope on an old marlin 22lr and it works great.

One benefit of the Marlin is no maganzies to worries about. You load in the tube under the barrel.
    I love my Marlin 60's, good guns and pretty accurate for what they are. Gave an older 17 rd capacity rifle to my son since he learned how to shoot on it. I've got a newer 14 rd capacity gun with a Simmons 22 Mag scope and it's a super fun gun. I love rimfire!

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana

Unfortunately they stopped making the Marlin Model 60 in 2020. Ruger bought Marlin and then announced they would stop production on them. I doubt you’ll find a new one anywhere but used ones pop up all the time in local pawn shops.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I love my Marlin 60's, good guns and pretty accurate for what they are. Gave an older 17 rd capacity rifle to my son since he learned how to shoot on it. I've got a newer 14 rd capacity gun with a Simmons 22 Mag scope and it's a super fun gun. I love rimfire!
    I got lucky and purchased two that are considered the “most desirable” with 22” barrels and 18rd magazine tubes. Ones a 88 and the others an 87. I’ve always been a ruger 10/22 guy but no denying the Marlin is a ton of fun to shoot and just as accurate. My biggest gripe was it took longer to reload but I fixed that when purchasing a tube fed speed loader. It holds something like 150 rounds of 22lr and makes reloading ALOT faster.

It’s hard to beat that Simmons 22mag scope for the price too. I have one on a rifle and another sitting In my closet next to a couple of Vortex scopes that I’ve been to lazy to mount. I guess it wouldn’t be a bad idea to start mounting them now get out and zero them all!

Last edited:

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    My biggest gripe was it took longer to reload but I fixed that when purchasing a tube fed speed loader. It holds something like 150 rounds of 22lr and makes reloading ALOT faster.
    I've been wanting one of them, but since I got the MP-5 22 I've been burning up my rimfire stash so fast I can hardly keep up! lol

Attachments

• Duo.jpg
      Duo.jpg
      654.6 KB · Views: 22

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    Can any of you comment on the accuracy of the marlin 60 vs the average 10/22? I am awaiting my suppressor take stamp to come in and I want to get a semi auto 22lr

Id at least want it as accurate as our old Marlin. All we shoot is bulk ammo.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to spend $1400ish on a tacsol semi auto. I want a very light non take down rifle that I can put a very light scope on. The majority of off the shelf 10/22 don't look that appealing.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I think your can will block the tube mag for reloading. Do you want to remove the can for every reload? And I don’t know if marlin made a threaded barrel. If your shooting bulk ammo, I don’t think you’ll be super accurate.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I think your can will block the tube mag for reloading. Do you want to remove the can for every reload? And I don’t know if marlin made a threaded barrel. If your shooting bulk ammo, I don’t think you’ll be super accurate.
    I apologize for the misunderstanding. While we do have a marlin right now, it won't accept a can nor will I entertain getting the barrel threaded.

With that said, I just want to know if something like a tacsol will eat regular bulk ammo. I want a light bull barrel and aftermarket trigger so I am better off just getting that already on the gun.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Can any of you comment on the accuracy of the marlin 60 vs the average 10/22? I am awaiting my suppressor take stamp to come in and I want to get a semi auto 22lr

I'm not sure if it's worth it to spend $1400ish on a tacsol semi auto. I want a very light non take down rifle that I can put a very light scope on. The majority of off the shelf 10/22 don't look that appealing.

I own both. The Marlin is the more accurate rifle out the box, hands down. It's also more fun to shoot, imo. Just a good little rifle.

The only real issue is slower reload time, but you can fix that with the plastic speedloader, or just DIY with composite arrows and pencil erasers.

OeauxMy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2024
    New Iberia, La

I have that same Marlin. Sweet shooting little gun. I now have a cz455. While I love it, I miss not having to worry about the mags.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana

I have a couple of both and I notice no difference whatsoever shooting at 100 yards and closer. Depending on who you talk to some people will swear one is more accurate than the other but in my experience they are what and what.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom