Check computer for virus/malware

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I let my AVG license lapse about a week and just renewed it. Before I install the new program I would like to run a virus/malware check on it. What is the best way to do this?

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Do you just want download and run a free program before you do your update?

If so, I would recommend download Avira AntiVir Personnal and SuperAntiSpyware. However, you can only have one Anti-virus program loaded on a computer at a time, so you would need to delete the Avira off before updating the AVG.

Edit: I think I misread your post, you want to scan the file online before you download it? Is that correct?

Last edited:

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    AVG free was just rated number 2 among all antivirus programs by consumer reports. It is what I use and I never have problems. My $.02.

It's free....does this not raise a flag?
    PC magazine best virus protection 2011, it isn't even in the top ten.
    Seriously.

BRBrett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    AVG is a great piece of software. AVG offered a free A/V when it wasn't heard of. The only reason I don't run them now is because their user panel is a bit convoluted. When I'm pen-testing I need to access files that it automatically deems as malicious.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    It's free....does this not raise a flag?
    PC magazine best virus protection 2011, it isn't even in the top ten.
    Seriously.

Normally the price would raise a flag, and it would. However with AVG's track record, reputation, and my own experience as well as others' in this thread, that flag is proven to be false. I have been using it for years, much to my satisfaction.

No anti-virus will save you from being a dumbass, but an antivirus is a helpful layer to create a nice safety net. There are other things you can do such as running a higher-rated-security browser. I use Firefox with addons such as NoScript and AdBlocker. This cuts down on random annoying bullcrap and staves off some of the more annoying vulnerabilities..

For everything else, AVG seems to have done the job, WITHOUT consuming and eradicating any free computer resource I had available *cough*McAfee*cough*

It took over a year of monthly kvetching to get my boss to let me take off McAfee and get our IT Consultant to just turn on the Windows Security and use it. He said I'm not a retarded user and the Windows Security does a decent job. I've not had one problem at work either, but like it's work, and I don't browse sites that are typically targeting with malware and I run Firefox with similar security-minded addons.

Last edited:

lovetoshoot82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Basile, La
    I use malwarebytes (will get rid of any malware, wonderful tool) and advanced system care (will get rid of spyware, registry errors, privacy sweep and clean junk files). I recommend getting the pro on system care its worth it.

Hay-Wire

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ok... I've been doing computer security and forensics for a living for over 10 years now. Interestingly enough - AV software isn't all that effective any more. Even the better ones out there only catch about 30% of the active malware.
    AV certainly does help with your computer security, but don't rely on it to keep you safe.
    The best thing to do is increase your knowledge of things like script blocking while surfing the web.

If anyone in BR is interested, I'd be willing to do some F2F training on computer security. I won't charge anything, as long as everyone chips in for pizza and beer. I could probably even arrange for a nice location to do the training. So how about it? Any takers?

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    The best thing to do is increase your knowledge of things like script blocking while surfing the web.
    I'm typically hesitant to mention, but I went over 2 years on XP, with full time cable internet connection, and never had a problem. And I had no AV or spyware/malware scanning software running at all. I never had a malicious problem. I just practiced "safe" browsing habits, kept NoScript blocking everything not on a trusted whitelist and AdBlocker keeping most ads from showing up, keeping random flash exploits or whatever was trendy at the time, from being as much of a threat.

AV software might only catch 30% of the stuff out there, but in my experience as a victim, it must be the most commonly spread attacks that are in that 30% because when I -did- have a problem later on or on other machines, virus scans would catch them at least 90% of the time, and I rarely had to resort to system restores or searching for what virus I had, and cleaning it manually.

BRBrett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Noscript and adblocks are fine and dandy but they don't stop java drivebys and especially the ones that exploit browser vulnerabilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom