check out this article from a "former soldier" that is FOS!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    raised eyebrows at 'half-ton Army truck', 'we kept our fingers on our triggers', and '20 round magazine in the well'.
    lol'd at 'subsonic speeds'
    wow

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    raised eyebrows at 'half-ton Army truck', 'we kept our fingers on our triggers', and '20 round magazine in the well'.
    lol'd at 'subsonic speeds'
    wow

Yeah. Rules required safeties switched off and they're riding in the back of a truck with their fingers on the triggers. I have to call total BS.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    When I served in Iraq, my unit and I would sometimes leave the base and head out onto the local highways. We each had a 20-round magazine in the well and a round in the chamber. After passing the front gate, our rules required us to switch off our safeties.

No matter the job (I was what infantry would call a base-sitting intelligence wimp) we kept our fingers on our triggers in the back of a half-ton Army truck.

When serving in Iraq, my unit and I would spend a s#!% ton of time "out the wire". We were on either a 12 hour on/12 hour off or a 24 hour on/24 hour off schedule. We rarely had a day off. So almost 50% of my time was spent off the base. When we left the base, we each had a 30 round mag in the well and a round in the chamber. The basic load was 210 rounds. We had seven 30 round mags. We didn't fool with 20 round mags because they were not efficient being you'd have to carry 11 of them for the basic load. After passing the gate, our rules required us to "lock and load" in case the shtf. We didn't roll with the safety off and we sure as heckfire didn't roll with our fingers on the trigger. We used HMMWVs, or hummers for the general public. They were 1-1/4 ton vehicles. I can't recall ever seeing a 1/2 ton military truck.

He's more than welcome to voice his opinion. But based on the nonsense in the first 4 sentences, he should not be using his military background as a reason why his opinion should be trusted. In fact, mentioning his military "experience" takes away from his credibility.

meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Yes but no hazard duty for combat, I was in Desert Storm but did not earn the campaign ribbon because I did not set foot in the area.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yes but no hazard duty for combat, I was in Desert Storm but did not earn the campaign ribbon because I did not set foot in the area.

Same block, before his Kosovo assignment. "Served in an imminent danger pay area." Mine doesn't even list that. It just says "service in Iraq from..." I guess they just figured people would know it was a combat assignment since I was a Combat Engineer.

Look, I think he's certainly FOS based on his exaggeration. But he was in Iraq twice and was in a combat area at some point. I just think he was a fobbit who rarely left the wire and was scared out of his mind when he did.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Same block, before his Kosovo assignment. "Served in an imminent danger pay area." Mine doesn't even list that. It just says "service in Iraq from..." I guess they just figured people would know it was a combat assignment since I was a Combat Engineer.

Look, I think he's certainly FOS based on his exaggeration. But he was in Iraq twice and was in a combat area at some point. I just think he was a fobbit who rarely left the wire and was scared out of his mind when he did.

And to make matters worse he claims to be an NCO which means (according to his statements) he was ensuring that his men had their safeties off and fingers on the triggers.
    WTF. I can't even comprehend this statement. That's the opposite of what men in a command/responsible position watch out for with FNGs let alone someone who's supposed to know better.
    Just Wow.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    And to make matters worse he claims to be an NCO which means (according to his statements) he was ensuring that his men had their safeties off and fingers on the triggers.
    WTF. I can't even comprehend this statement. That's the opposite of what men in a command/responsible position watch out for with FNGs let alone someone who's supposed to know better.
    Just Wow.

Yes...this too. Based on the DD214, he would/could have been a squad leader or higher.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yes...this too. Based on the DD214, he would/could have been a squad leader or higher.

And he was smart enough to get SLGI for $400,000.00. That is some sweet insurance. I hope all of you ex-servicemen took advantage of that! If not, look into it. It is inexpensive and if you are married or have kids, it could help them immensely when you are gone.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    When he trained in small unit tactics, they were taught to assault the enemy with their semi-automatic rifles...He doesn't even know that he was issued and using a fully automatic weapon, but we're supposed to be concerned about his opinion. The 20-round mag, and safeties off, fingers-on-triggers comments also set my teeth to itching. I guess he saw that scene from Blackhawk Down with the Oakley-wearin' Delta operator smartin' off to the captain about his safety finger! The bad part about this article is that other know-nothing zombies will parrot this crap like holy gospel - "See, even the brave military guys don't believe in guns!" - and possibly sway some up and coming voters who don't know any better.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

I'm guessing he achieved the rank of E-6. In his MOS he likely would have been assistant section NCOIC, the NCOIC being an E-7.

I seriously doubt that he ever fired his rifle outside of BRM and annual qualification. He carried it from his bunk to his duty station, to the chow line, and back to his bunk. It sat in a corner the whole time.

He had three hots and a cot the whole time, and likely never pulled his e-tool out of it's case, except for an inspection.

He had wi-fi for his laptop, and unlimited phone access to call home.

Hell, I'd wager his duty station and bunk were air conditioned.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom