Check this out (yellow jacket nest)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    At this point in time in my career, I don't do many honey bee removals, but may do more in the future, but when family calls you gotta go. My brother called me and said a friend of his is deathly allergic to bee and wasp stings and has a nest of yellow jackets in a storage shed he needs removed. Being the helpful soul I am,I say no problem and we head out and go take a look at them last week. Well when I walked into the shed I was taken aback by the size of this nest, and let me tell you I've seen quite a few of these. On that day I didn't have near enough protective clothing or tools to do the job so we regrouped and fought the battle today. I shot a quick video of the nest before I tore it down. I only got stung once and my brother only got stung once. These type removals are always messy with lots of yellow jacket still flying when we left , but we definitely put a dent in them. https://vimeo.com/172999781

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    That is huge... Never seen one before honestly. We've had a few on our property but they were underground.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If it wasn't for the pump for his well I would have lit the shed on fire also. I took a sharp shooter spade which had a long handle on it and I cut the nest away from the ceiling joist. As the pieces fell to the ground my brother would douse the exposed comb with an insecticide and also treat the the pieces that fell on the ground. A yellow jacket nest is composed of the brownish/ gray color paper like material that houses the comb where the queen/ queens lay the eggs. This nest had multiple queens unlike a honey bee colony that usually only has one. So when I started breaking the nest up the comb would fall to the ground and we would treat it with the insecticide. You can imagine the amount of yellow jackets coming out when you are tearing the nest up. We then put all of the comb and nest material in a heavy duty garbage bag and sealed it up. It took about and hour to remove the nest. We did take multiple breaks as we were double suited and it was Africa hot !!!!! After I got the nest removed I coated everything with an insecticidal dust to kill the ones that were going to land on what was left of the nest. I will have to go back multiple times in the next few weeks to treat the residual wasp still left. It's a very messy, not precise at all process. It is interesting though and definitely gets the old heart beating.

Last edited:

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Yellow jacket stings hurt! While evacuated from hurricane Katrina I was at a friend's house in north Alabama and pickng up dead branches from the storm after it passed through there when I started hearing what sounded like a model airplane motor running and then saw a swarm coming after me. I was running around the yard with this swarm of yellow jackets chasing me and stinging. I'm sure it looked like something you'd see in a cartoon or the Three Stooges. My friend had run and grabbed the water hose and was screaming for me to come to him to hose them away. Finally I outran them and swatted and killed what was left on me. I sustained 24 stings and still have scars from some of them today. About an hour later after finishing up with the branches I said "well, I guess I'm not going to have a heart attack." Lol......... Those damn stings did hurt.
    About 4 days later I went to Home Depot and got several cans of wasp spray(you know that stuff doesn't really kill yellow jackets?)that I staged at different distances from the nest because I knew they would coming after me again. They were nested under the garage slab and an old firewood pile so burning them out wasn't viable. I did what I could with the spray and again a couple of days after that.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You've got to tear it open so you can get the insecticide into the nest. Just spraying the nest won't do it. If you did a true fumigation you could kill them but it's very expensive and time consuming.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Like I said in above post, I would have burned it down also, but it houses the pump for the guys water well. The shed was a piece of crap for sure. That nest had to be there for months if not a year. We had a very mild winter so they may have started the nest last year sometime. There was actually multiple nest. They had at least two more on the ground.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Yellow jackets are some bad suckers. I found an underground nest of them moving hay a few years ago. When the first one stung me I threw the tractor in park and bolted. I let the damn thing run right where I stopped it for the rest of the day! I still think I would like to see a nest removal like this in person.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Only yellow jacket nests I've ever had to fight were in the ground. They seem to like the ground beneath pine trees. When you find the nest, you wait until dusk and then pump insecticide down the entrance holes.

I can't imagine letting any type of insect nest getting that big where I could see it.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Fyi my grandfather was a " buckskinner" in the he and his friends would dress up in period clothes and shoot muzzloaders. He always had us kids on the lookout for hornets, wasps, and yellow jacket nests when it got cold. They used it for wadding in smoothbore muskets I believe

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Wow, I would have no idea how to kill those suckers! Got stung by one in the upper arm once, my arm was numb for a while after the pain subsided.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom