Check your Magpul Pmags, cracks

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    AW MF!!!

I just bought a crap load of these, I waited for them to be out a couple years to see if they would have cracking issues...

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    IIRC, the mags affected were early 2007 manufacture or earlier (manuf. date is molded into the plastic) and MagPul replaces 'em for free.

What's not to like. They feed better and are easier to disassemble and clean than GI mags...easier to get extended versions that work well, too, thanks to Nordic's extension. No distortion of the feed lips after being loaded for a while (my 42 round steel mag finally bit the dust with double feeds at a match recently because of this). They are all I intend to use in competition from now on. And if I keep an AR mag loaded 24/7 for HD or otherwise, it's all I'd use as well.

No need for anyone to worship at the PMag altar, but there's a lot to like...then again, I shoot Glocks so I have no aversion to polymer :D

Sometimes a better mousetrap is a better mousetrap. Won't be throwing my steel mags out, but PMags are here to stay.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    also check the bottom for expiration dates. Any that are expired, need to be disposed of properly. I'm the only one in the state that can do it without increasing the need for carbon offset credits in the state of Louisiana.

Let me know who needs to mail them to me.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Well, I'll keep my opinion of after-market "extended" magazines to myself, so as not to ruffle any more feathers.

No ruffled feathers here...just a alternative point of view for balance. There is junk and there are the sort of extended mags...often expensive... that USPSA and other similar shooters torture test with hundreds of rounds every weekend, and thousands of rounds every year, on pistols, rifles and shotguns (LOVE my +5 extended tube on my Benelli).

Junk doesn't cut it...and everybody soon learns what runs...and what pukes and screws your stage.

UPS just delivered 8 more PMags for my stash five minutes ago :D

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    None of my Pmags drop free but my GI mags do. My 20rd Pmag consistently double feeds.

That's my experience with Pmags. Maybe its the crappy POF lower I have.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    That 42 round steel mag that went into the trash bin was an interesting point. Sold by Bushmaster it is a no-name mag advertised as 40 rounder and sold for around $40 or so if I remember. For two years it ran perfectly...and gave me an edge on all those stages designed for 32 rounds by saving me a reload.

But I knew that many guys had found them unreliable, so I should have begun expecting that the cheap steel was beginning to weaken around the feed lips, especially since I had found it would take 42 rounds ;) The last few times I loaded it, the the loader I was using didn't seat well and it didn't load smoothly. Then, at the Load and Make Ready at a stage in a tactical carbine match in Texas, the mag didn't seat and dropped, and a few rounds spilled out. The pressure of 42 rounds over the years had obviously taken its toll.

A brighter bulb than myself would have intuited a problem, but I tried it again on the next stage, after lunch. After engaging one third of the targets, it created the double feed from hell. Instead of laughing, the RO handing me a pocket knife, allowed me to clear the jammed round halfway in the chamber and the other crammed up beside it and gave me a reshoot...the first mulligan I every received at a match and probably the last. Maybe my antics to safely clear the jam were more amusing to him than they were to me :D

Nothing wrong with GI mags...I'm keeping mine...but I sure like the PMags for the previously stated reasons. The lesson is don't buy junk and shoot your reliable gear often to make sure it hasn't turned into junk when you weren't looking. ;)

My new hi-hi-cap AR mag is a PMag joined by a wide billet clamp with another half a PMag and extended spring in a kit provided by Nordic. Everyone I talked too has had reliable service with the newer PMags in this setup...some of the originals apparently work with a little trimming here and there. If it runs like a top at every practice session, it goes to the line with me at the next 3-gun match...with a couple of 30 round PMags as backup, just in case.

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    That 42 round steel mag that went into the trash bin was an interesting point. Sold by Bushmaster it is a no-name mag advertised as 40 rounder and sold for around $40 or so if I remember. For two years it ran perfectly...and gave me an edge on all those stages designed for 32 rounds by saving me a reload.

Find a Sterling 40 rounder. They work well, but arent cheap.

Top Bottom