Checking to see if guns are stolen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    In another thread, someone said that during a traffic stop, etc., a cop might "run" your serial numbers to see if the gun or guns are stolen.

Does this bother anyone else?

I mean, if you have a television or computer in the car, will the cop "run" those to see if they are stolen?

Without evidence or suspicion that the guns are stolen, why would someone take it upon himself to put your guns' serial numbers into the system?

And, is there a way to prevent or stop this?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    It would bother me somewhat, because I know who paid for mine- ME. And I'm not part of the crime problem.

I wouldn't need an officer to verify that for me because I broke the "9 you're fine" rule. :p

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The only way the serial number would be "in the system" is if it has been reported as stolen by a previous owner, otherwise all they get back when they run it is a clear/not found in system kinna thing .........

They are not adding it to a data base per say with your name and DL, they have better things to do IMO

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    It's happened to me once. The deputy had me against my truck taking my Sig and running me, truck, insurance, DL and unloading my gun and running it.
    He was looking for a shooting suspect, he knew it wasn't me I had a truck load of newspapers doing the paper route coming from a different direction.
    The suspect was 5'6" with tattoos and I'm 6'5" and couldn't catch me with a damn tattoo. He was driving a white truck and I was driving a blue truck.

He knew as soon as I got out and told him who I was and that I had a concealed handgun and had a CHP that I wasn't his guy. I guess he felt safe with me and didn't have to haul ass looking for the real shooter.

I really didn't like him standing behind me trying to hold his flashlight my wallet and trying to unload my weapon, I was scared he would have a ND and shoot me with my own gun or shoot himself with MY gun and then I would have a world of ****.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    What if some thug stole your pride and joy pistola and it ended up in the hands of an honest citizen who bought if off of, say, LA Sportsman, etc and got stopped for speeding. Cop runs serial number, gun goes back to you. You have your pride and joy, say Great Grandpa's 1911 from WWI, back safe at home. Now how do you feel about "the system"?
    Just playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    What if some thug stole your pride and joy pistola and it ended up in the hands of an honest citizen who bought if off of, say, LA Sportsman, etc and got stopped for speeding. Cop runs serial number, gun goes back to you. You have your pride and joy, say Great Grandpa's 1911 from WWI, back safe at home. Now how do you feel about "the system"?
    I would say that's a textbook example of giving up Liberty to purchase Safety.

Bryan

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2007
    Hammond, LA
    You may know your guns are not stolen, but the cop pulling you over doesn't.

Is there a national database for stolen tv's?

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick

Very good point. As long as they're not adding your serial # to a database, I don't see much of a problem with it... in theory. The problem is that in practice, the LEO can abuse it and use it as a means to harass you and keep you on the side of the road. It's a double-edged sword.

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    The question, I guess, is WHY.

Why run serial numbers of guns if they don't run serial numbers of other items?

Also, is the NOPD still demanding proof of ownership of guns when they do a traffic stop?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I am totally against it! This CC permit strips you of your Constitutional Right to not consent to any type of search. By state law you HAVE to surrender your weapon because of the permit. Guess who doesn't do that? Criminals(that don't give a crap), and people without CC permits that respectfully tell the police officer, "Officer; I do not consent to any unwarranted searches!"

That's who! I would rather have this permit than not, but I don't really know if it is a blessing or a curse.

Gbav1

Concealed Carrier
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Marrero,La.
    When I purchase a gun,( which happens pretty often) The first thing I do is take my original reciept and
    reduce it down to creditcard size on a copy machine
    then I cover it in plastic. If you get stopped you can show the LEO the copy of the original.
    P.S. leave the original at home.

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    In the OP question , he referred to guns, computers, and tvs. I fall somewhere between Emperor and Oleheat in my beliefs. LEO are not worried about being shot by the computers or tvs.

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    "In the OP question , he referred to guns, computers, and tvs. I fall somewhere between Emperor and Oleheat in my beliefs. LEO are not worried about being shot by the computers or tvs."

I'm not sure what that has to do with checking to see if an item is stolen, when there is no indication that it is stolen. There is no concern that the officer is going to be shot with the gun when the officer has the gun in his hand. What safety benefit is to be gained by doing the check?

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    If I buy a second-hand gun (and I do often), the first thing I do is voluntarily have my local LEA run the numbers. That's a service they provide and may one day save your ass. Hopefully not, but it could.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    "In the OP question , he referred to guns, computers, and tvs. I fall somewhere between Emperor and Oleheat in my beliefs. LEO are not worried about being shot by the computers or tvs."

I'm not sure what that has to do with checking to see if an item is stolen, when there is no indication that it is stolen. There is no concern that the officer is going to be shot with the gun when the officer has the gun in his hand. What safety benefit is to be gained by doing the check?

What indication would you like there to be to trigger an officer to run a gun? Is there an "I AM STOLEN" flag that sticks out the barrel? How do YOU propose officers go about recovering stolen guns?

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    It's too bad there's no 'app' that any citizen can use to run a gun. Would be nice for FTF deals. Elect me Viceroy and that's something I'd do.

Top Bottom