Checking to see if guns are stolen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    When I purchase a gun,( which happens pretty often) The first thing I do is take my original reciept and
    reduce it down to creditcard size on a copy machine
    then I cover it in plastic. If you get stopped you can show the LEO the copy of the original.
    P.S. leave the original at home.

We shouldn't have to do this!!! This is still supposed to be the f'n USA. We are letting some of these laws dissolve everything these old bastards died for in the 1700's. F'n shame!

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    What indication would you like there to be to trigger an officer to run a gun? Is there an "I AM STOLEN" flag that sticks out the barrel? How do YOU propose officers go about recovering stolen guns?
    I'm quoting you, but this is a question for everyone else, too. Do you believe that game wardens should run the serial numbers on a hunter's gun when checking his/her license and bag limit?

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    No I pay very good money for every gun I have and get the numbers ran at time of purchase if its ftf. Typically I can do it discretely by testing it to one of my local officers. I just ask them ahead of time who's on duty. I do my part to know im not getting a stolen gun and aggregates the hell out if me when a stop takes an extra 15chip minutes because you have a gun and they want to search you and run it. Like seriously if I were planning some ******** you wouldn't know I had a gun. I hate to refuse the search because then they are suspicious and cause more hell in the long run.

Please ignore spelling posting from Motorola atrix.

Last edited:

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    A dremil can help solve that running serial number thang.......LOL

Just kidding........Faith have FAITH my friends, Nothing happens in God's World by mistake, even me posting and making statements that some of you don't particularly care for:}

Happy Holidays, God Bless America, Don't Worry Be HAPPY>

satoups

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lousiana
    A police officer does not have the right to run a number unless he has reasonable grounds to believe the gun was used in a crime (or about to be use) or stolen. I teach this at the police academy and I still see it going on every day. If you call a police officer over to your home relative to your neighbor making noise and you invite the officer inside to discuss the problem, he can not start grabbing your guns displayed in your gun cabinet and start running numbers. It's know different. Even if the officer secures the gun while he conducts the traffic stop, he should not run the numbers unless there is a reason.
    Now if the gun comes back stolen, you will be arrested etc.. and the stolen gun is off the street (good deal), but I have seen charges dropped because everything that happen after the numbers are ran, is no good.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    What if some thug stole your pride and joy pistola and it ended up in the hands of an honest citizen who bought if off of, say, LA Sportsman, etc and got stopped for speeding. Cop runs serial number, gun goes back to you. You have your pride and joy, say Great Grandpa's 1911 from WWI, back safe at home. Now how do you feel about "the system"?
    Just playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion.

How do I feel? In my case, I would say that if I do everything right- including advising the officer up front that I am a CHP holder and have firearms on board- I should not be considered guilty until proven innocent on an illegal weapons charge.

But that's just me.

Call me selfish for not being willing to accept repsonsibility for the bad behavior of others, I guess.:dunno:

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    What if the officer decided to run the serial numbers of everything in your car?

Laptop, camera, binos, etc.

Is that okay? If not, then why would a gun be any different?

It's a thing. That's all it is. If there is a reason to SUSPECT that it's stolen, that's different. But, if the officer is just running it as a "let's see what we find," that is a serious problem, in my view.

And, no, I don't believe in "making the officer's job easier" if it reduces our freedoms by even the slightest amount.

If the officer has a report of that exact model of gun being stolen in the area recently, that might qualify as a reason. Otherwise, no.

Last edited:

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    You may know your guns are not stolen, but the cop pulling you over doesn't.

Is there a national database for stolen tv's?
    Yes.. As stated below, it's called NCIC (National Crime Information Center). It's maintained by the FBI and let's not get it confused with the NCIS system (which does the instant background checks for weapons purchases from FFL Dealers).

NCIC is more than just this, this is also where a dept can run criminal background checks for past crimes on the spot during a traffic stop, police talk for running a Triple I (Triple I meaning Interstate Identification Index). It also allows departments to message each other across state and international borders (think Interpol here).

You can enter almost anything as stolen into NCIC.
    Anything with a serial number or O.A.N. (Owner applied number) can be entered into NCIC or should be entered in NCIC. If you have a dept TAC that does their job correctly, then yes...

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    If I buy a second-hand gun (and I do often), the first thing I do is voluntarily have my local LEA run the numbers. That's a service they provide and may one day save your ass. Hopefully not, but it could.

That is also a service that can get their access to NCIC pulled. IT might be a service "they" provide, but it's not part of the user agreement that the chief LEO signed to have access to NCIC with the Dept of Justice.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    You can enter almost anything as stolen into NCIC.

In this case, I'd say the reason they do not run tv's through the system is because when an individual is in a vehicle with a tv, it would usually be in a purchase box from the store. Or on a trailer with furniture, things obviously that aren't typical stolen items.

The third scenario, suspicious acting characters, a backseat full of miscellaneous electronics.... I bet they're run. ;)

As far as selling liberty to buy safety, I'm ok with that in this particular situation. We've been pulled over, officer asked about firearms(or he was immediately informed, depending), non issue. In my opinion if any problem exists from legal firearms having their serial number run... Well, every profession has their problem children. Sometimes you're going to feel harassed regardless. Guns make the excuses easier to come by.

Last edited:

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    A police officer does not have the right to run a number unless he has reasonable grounds to believe the gun was used in a crime (or about to be use) or stolen. I teach this at the police academy and I still see it going on every day. If you call a police officer over to your home relative to your neighbor making noise and you invite the officer inside to discuss the problem, he can not start grabbing your guns displayed in your gun cabinet and start running numbers. It's know different. Even if the officer secures the gun while he conducts the traffic stop, he should not run the numbers unless there is a reason.
    Now if the gun comes back stolen, you will be arrested etc.. and the stolen gun is off the street (good deal), but I have seen charges dropped because everything that happen after the numbers are ran, is no good.

Almost like seeing drugs or drug paraphernalia in plain sight when answering a call for something else vs. searching for drug paraphernalia after arriving to a house for a different call and then be told there are drugs there, but not where...

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Does this have something to do with why there are so many people wanting to trade but refusing to sell weapons?

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    That is also a service that can get their access to NCIC pulled. IT might be a service "they" provide, but it's not part of the user agreement that the chief LEO signed to have access to NCIC with the Dept of Justice.

Huh-- didn't know this. I mean I figured it wasn't exactly a welcomed practice, but so harshly shunned is news to me.

And as usual, that's pretty freakin' retarded. "Get caught with a stolen gun and you're going to jail; enjoy a long and expensive trial to prove your innocence... if you can. But no-- you can't use our system to check the serial number before you buy it. Go suck a railroad spike!"

I guess that's another huge reason to love BS.com, as the vast majority of us are pretty well transparent. CL or that Sportsman site-- not so much.

ram3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Simple question here, but is the OP asking about the potential for the officer to run the serial number, or is this regularly occurring? I've been pulled over 3 separate times with my CCW (should probably slow down a bit), but 2 separate state troopers and one parish deputy. I notified the officer that I had a CHP and was armed at the first opportunity. One trooper asked if the gun was holstered. When I told him it was, he asked me to leave the gun holstered and pass it to him through the window. I did so, and he placed my pistol on the roof of the truck for the remainder of our conversation, and handed it back to me when we were done.

The other two stops were on my motorcycle. When I notified the officers that I was carrying, they thanked me for notifying them, and simply asked me to leave it holstered and not make any sudden moves. I really think it has to do with several factors. 1) the particular officer 2) your attitude and 3) any crime investigations that may be ongoing in the area. Let's face it, unloading your weapon and running the numbers takes up more time. I really don't see any officers making this a regular habit, and as already mentioned, they shouldn't be doing so unless there is reasonable suspicion that the weapon (or any other item) is stolen.

Top Bottom