CHP and Anti-depressants

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    On a related topic, how can someone be expected to know the answer to question 18 on the state police form:

18. Are you currently taking, or have you ever been prescribed any medication used for the treatment of depression, psychosis or any mental illness?

Really how is the average person expected to know if the pill they are taking or took 10 years ago for a skin condition, or sleep disorder is also used to treat any of the above?
    I ask because I tend to read up on any medication I take, and last year was surprised to find out that one of the medications my doctor was talking about putting me on for high blood pressure is also used to treat certain mental conditions.

Ike

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    why not just answer no if you arent currently taking anything?
    some medical facilities report records to the state. They can see these records when you apply. I believe there was a member here who saw a doctor in his younger years and did not even remember it to report it on his application. They initially denied his app for an invalid answer to the medical questions.

armyvet

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    NOLA
    some medical facilities report records to the state. They can see these records when you apply. I believe there was a member here who saw a doctor in his younger years and did not even remember it to report it on his application. They initially denied his app for an invalid answer to the medical questions.

Aren't medical records protected by HIPPA?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    On a related topic, how can someone be expected to know the answer to question 18 on the state police form:

18. Are you currently taking, or have you ever been prescribed any medication used for the treatment of depression, psychosis or any mental illness?

Really how is the average person expected to know if the pill they are taking or took 10 years ago for a skin condition, or sleep disorder is also used to treat any of the above?
    I ask because I tend to read up on any medication I take, and last year was surprised to find out that one of the medications my doctor was talking about putting me on for high blood pressure is also used to treat certain mental conditions.

Ike
    I read the question as asking if the medicine was prescribed to YOU for depression, etc. Not if it CAN be. IMO It doesn't matter if the medicine can treat 15 other things, one of them being depression. If it was prescribed to you for baldness then the answer is no.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

Ike

Maybe he was just being subtle?

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    Aren't medical records protected by HIPPA?

Absolutely. Physicians can only release records after the patient fills out a form specifically asking to do so.

"The Man" can only access your health records, or receive any notification of a disease's presence if:

1) You directly give them permission by filling out a form. Some jobs make you fill out the form, as well as some higher-end licenses and security clearance.
    2) You have HIV/Ebola/Syphillis or some other disease that's considered reportable (not depression).
    3) It's subpoena'd or court-ordered.
    4) You've been so extremely impacted by a condition that you lose power of attorney or deemed incompetent by a JUDGE. Physicians can call you "temporarily impaired" and suspend rights for only so long (72hrs), until the coroner has to get involved (up to 2 weeks), and then a judge shortly thereafter (as long as he/she wants).

Quite frankly, unless you've been diagnosed with Schizophrenia, Bipolar (W/psychosis), Depression (w/psychosis) or anything else worth hospitalizing, I would just never mention it. About 30-50% (impossible to truly tell) of the population will be on psych drugs at one point or another.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    We now have a State Senator from St. Martin Parish (F.Mills) who is a pharmacist. Hopefully, he could get the dumb questions straightened out.

One hundred years of concealed carry prohibitions have just made public safety problems worse. Isn't it time to dump the whole idea, as in Alaska, Vermont, and Arizona ?

leVieux

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    sensiturtle: This of course leads to the next page of the application which is a blanket release for all private and public records from anyone for the purpose of investigating if a person qualifies for a CCW.

TO: Any physician, psychologist, social worker, hospital, clinic, or other health care provider, law enforcement
    agency or officer, any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States, or any individual or institution having information about me........

I_____do hereby give my consent in authorizing full disclosure and review of all records and information, verbal or written, concerning myself to any duly authorized agent of the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections, Office of State Police, Concealed Handgun Permit Section, whether said records are public, private, confidential, or privileged in nature.....

Top Bottom