CHP in 19 days!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drewg27

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    i received my chp yesterday. finally get to wear all the holsters ive been waiting to try out and wear all day. still cant believe it. 19 days. just glad i dont have to OC all the time to be able to carry.

Splash

Resident Basket Case
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Sulphur, La
    Must be nice. They received mine March 6 and I called yesterday and they still haven't entered it in yet. :(

drewg27

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    i hand delivered on april 16 and had the fingerprints done at lsp. i heard it was much faster to do it that way. i surely thought it would be another week or so.

Lewgee

USMC VET OIF * *
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    St Charles
    I talked to them today also, I sent mine in March 30, said they were having computer problems and was in the stack of ones to be entered today.. hrmph

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Depends how long the background check and fingerprints take. I made the drive to BR to hand mine in and do finger prints today so I am hoping it won't be long.

LakeMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Turned my application in at LSP on 4/3 (fingerprinted there too), mine showed up in the mail yesterday, 5/5. When they fingerprint you there they told me the background check starts when they push the button to record the prints... I think that speeds it up.

apdanos

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2008
    Cut Off, LA
    Seems like everyone who has hand delivered and been fingerprinted at the same time has had a quicker turnover, including myself (28 days). HINT HINT.;)

Turbodog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Tangipahoa parish
    Sent in my renewal back at the beginning of March. Hadn't heard anything so emailed the CHP unit a couple of days ago and they wrote back telling me they would be approving the application that day. So, I should be seeing it in the mailbox soon I:x: hope.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Mine was mailed with a fingerprint card. I was born in another state. I think those factors made the process longer. I sent my app on Jan 27, it was keypuched on Feb 26 and my permit arrived April 25, 13 weeks.

A friend in state gov stopped by to visit with the folks at the CHP section. They told him they have had a ten-fold increase in applications since last year at this time; from 100 to 125 per month to as much as 1,200 per month. There has been no staff increase.

Be prepared to wait.

I do have to comment on the staff at the CHP section. I spoke to them three times during the process and they were always professional and courteous. They could, IMO, give seminars to all of the other civil servents I have encounted in LA.

LjDoIron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Marrero
    HI all, I hand delivered app and had fingerprints redone at LSP Baton Rouge on
    May 4, 2009 2:00PM
    Permit received May 20, 2009,
    16 Day's by my count,
    Folks, get your prints done at State police it makes a difference!

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    HI all, I hand delivered app and had fingerprints redone at LSP Baton Rouge on
    May 4, 2009 2:00PM
    Permit received May 20, 2009,
    16 Day's by my count,
    Folks, get your prints done at State police it makes a difference!

Glad to hear it! I have been itching to call LSP to check the status but it has only been 2 weeks. I handed mine in on the 6th so hopefully it will be mailed to me soon.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    If I hadn't already send the application in with the money order, I would drive down there and do it all in person. My forms were mailed on March 30th and I haven't called to make inquiry.

ETA: Called 5/21 and it hasn't been entered. The lady indicated it may be an additional 4-6 weeks before I should expect the permit...if approved.

Last edited:

tbeubs17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    NW LA
    Wait

Wife sent hers in late Feb/early March, she called mid April to check on it and was told it would be put in that Friday and after that would be 30-45 days. She called last Thursday and was told it was in process, on Friday she got a new fingerprint card and a letter saying hers was not readable. It would be nice if all of the LSP locations would fingerprint but guess that would cost too much. She sent new card today, hopefully it won't take much longer.

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    So where is the LSP location I would go to in the event my fingerprint card is rejected. I sent my packet in last week of March and I still haven't been entered in.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom