CHP Renewal Questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUSTER48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Laplace, Louisiana
    I am about to renew my CHP and noted that I am required to take additional training as part of my renewal. Will this training be the same training that I initially took when I first applied?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    YES,

This is what you are required to take.

§1311. Handgun Training Requirements

a. one hour of instruction on handgun nomenclature and safe handling procedures of a revolver and semi-automatic pistol;

b. one hour of instruction on ammunition knowledge and fundamentals of pistol shooting;

c. one hour of instruction on handgun shooting positions;

d. three hours of instruction on the use of deadly force and conflict resolution which will include a review of R.S. 14:18 through 14:22 and which may include a review of any other laws relating to the use of deadly force;

e. one hour of instruction on child access prevention; and

f. two hours of actual live range fire and proper handgun cleaning procedures:

I'm not saying that all Instructors will follow the time outline so you might get a shorter course depending on who you take it with as some Instructors jump the basic part and do renewals after lunch time which should be about the time when they get into PART D and then do F.

Be safe :)

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    YES,

a. one hour of instruction on handgun nomenclature and safe handling procedures of a revolver and semi-automatic pistol;

b. one hour of instruction on ammunition knowledge and fundamentals of pistol shooting;

d. three hours of instruction on the use of deadly force and conflict resolution which will include a review of R.S. 14:18 through 14:22 and which may include a review of any other laws relating to the use of deadly force;

I'm not saying that all Instructors will follow the time outline so you might get a shorter course depending on who you take it with as some Instructors jump the basic part and do renewals after lunch time which should be about the time when they get into PART D and then do F.

I have renewed twice, 7y ago at Jim's and 3y ago at Precision. At Jim's it was three of us late morning/early afternoon. At precision I sat in the afternoon part, which was d, e, and f.

I would recommend either of them. However, the Jim's training required driving to the range on Choctaw for the shooting and at Precision it was done on site.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    YES,

Actually those are the requirements for first time applicants.

The requirement for renewals is the same information, but with no set times limits. This information can be found on page 16 of the LAWS AND ADMINISTRATIVE RULES from LA LSP CHP

It will depend on the instructor. Some guys just put you though the class with their 1st timers, some guys abbreviate it into about 4 hours, mainly the legal. Ultimately depends on the instructor.

Each instructor is a little different. If you took your initial with me, I will generally let you come the second half of the day so you do not have to sit through the whole "This is the trigger", "This is a hammer", etc. However, if you come to me for a renewal, then I generally have you sit through the whole course. I still charge the renewal price, but since I have no idea what your previous base of knowledge is, I feel more comfortable testifying on your behalf should you be involved in an incident, if I know you have received my entire course at least once.

Depends on the instructor you choose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom