CHP vs. Veteran CC question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I was looking at some post on FB about CC in Louisiana. Some saying they have a CHP or were going to get one. Then some posted about the change letting Honorably Discharged Vets CC here without a permit.

At least one Vet. posted that he can CC in La now anywhere he wanted because he's legal now.

My question is where can a Vet. CC legally here now and the restricted places?

I saw somewhere that to CC legal in a restaurant that serves booze you had to have the CHP just the Veteran deal doesn't do it.

So what's the scoop?

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    https://legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=1290223

Back in August 2022, the linked bill signed by Gov. Edwards went into effect. The bill credentials honorably discharged veterans and active duty military to carry a concealed weapon without the need to obtain a permit from the LA State Police. All the normal regulations for CCW permit holders still apply. Veterans would need the "Veteran" designation on their driver's license or other proper identification.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I carry my VA ID as well as state ID with the Veterans designation.
    My CHP expired just before Covid and I'm not renewing it since I'm a Veteran.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    La drivers DL w/ veteran notation,,,, VA medical ID card,,,,,, a laminated DD214 copy( minautureized version)(by way of office depot) ,,,and expired CHP ID card...... But concealed means concealed.......... Valid only inside the state.. Not valid or recognized in other states as a CHP (concealed handgun permit) is recognized and recipocal privildges in their states.... ...................................... drill sgt.

Kuhndog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Prairieville, La
    It is my understanding an honorably discharged veteran can carry in all the same places as those with a CCW. No more no less areas as those stated in the Louisiana statutes. I chose to renew my CCW permit, because I travel outside of the state and I like not having to do the NICs check.

The law is a nice gesture but I think it has some fundamental flaws in that it should have included everyone.
    1. The overwhelming majority of veterans served 1 tour of active duty 2-4 years, most of which were not door kickers.
    2. The overwhelming majority of those veterans that did serve did not shoot or touch a pistol. At least in the Marine Corps, when I was in, a pistol was not your assigned (T.O.) weapon until E7 for enlisted and 04 for officer. There were some caveats to this such as military police, etc, but general rule still applies
    3. Most military qualify once a year or less with any weapon let alone a pistol. There is formal training in your assigned weapon but training doesn’t occur as much as most people think it happens.

This is to say if a veteran is good to have constitutional carry so to should any other citizen. I’d like to see constitutional carry passed for everyone in this state. Ultimately it is up to each and every one of us to practice and be proficient to avoid accidents/negligence and to be ready if forced to act in self defense using deadly force.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    In my case, I had all 3 of the handgun classes offered at St Bernard Indoor as a teen before the Marines. Because of that training, I was allowed to have a loaded Colt Officers ACP in my bedroom during highschool. I was so proud of that privilege that I took extra care with my ,45ACP. It only left my room to go to the range.

Int the 7th MEB at MCB 29 Palms, I was trained with the M9 Beretta due to my recurring role on Armory duty. Even in the Marines, weapons training depends on your unit.

Kuhndog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Prairieville, La
    I've been wondering what the difference was. I was watching this video from Bearco.

Check out this video.

Bearco
    That video seems to sum it up well. Didn’t know about the difference in restaraunt that serve alcohol and state parks.

As far as reciprocity, all souther states with the exception of SC and LA are already constitutional carry.

Kuhndog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Prairieville, La
    In my case, I had all 3 of the handgun classes offered at St Bernard Indoor as a teen before the Marines. Because of that training, I was allowed to have a loaded Colt Officers ACP in my bedroom during highschool. I was so proud of that privilege that I took extra care with my ,45ACP. It only left my room to go to the range.

Int the 7th MEB at MCB 29 Palms, I was trained with the M9 Beretta due to my recurring role on Armory duty. Even in the Marines, weapons training depends on your unit.
    I originally got trained and qualified with the M9 after a meritorious promotion. I then ended up on a burial detail at my next duty station. I was one of the only people with a pistol qualification on the base so I became the armed guard when we brought out weapons to the burials for 21 gun salutes.

The base ended up getting a pistol range and because I was an armed guard I was able to requalify multiple times. Fun times… Semper Fi

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

I do not know when that changed but long ago All Marines qualified with a Pistol and Rifle.

IlivnDaBoot!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    SHREVEPORT
    That video seems to sum it up well. Didn’t know about the difference in restaraunt that serve alcohol and state parks.

As far as reciprocity, all souther states with the exception of SC and LA are already constitutional carry.
    Both South Carolina and Louisiana are constitutional carry. Louisiana goes into effect on independence day

Top Bottom