Circle-K Warning (No Guns Sign) (Post#10 Photos)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I wish they would at least standardize it like Tx does. The universal "no" sign, red circle w/ a slash, needs to be placed prominently at every entrance, if I'm not mistaken. There is no question who is restricted and who is not in Tx.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Does not apply.Different for a business they have opened themselves to the public.They are not a private residence.

G. No concealed handgun permit issued pursuant hereto shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
    1. a law enforcement office, station, or building;
    2. a detention facility, prison, or jail;
    3. a courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
    4. a polling place;
    5. a meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
    6. the state capitol building;
    7. any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
    8. any church, synagogue, mosque or other similar place of worship;
    9. a parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
    10. any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter I or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises;
    11. any school "firearm-free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6;
    12. any private residence of another person, unless the permittee first receives the permission of that person; and
    13. any other property or premises where access by those possessing a concealed handgun is restricted by the property owner, lessee or lawful custodian.

Unit505

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    Does not apply.Different for a business they have opened themselves to the public.They are not a private residence.

A private business is private property not public property and can refuse service or entry to anyone they wish. I've banned literally hundreds of people from my former employer's property and 90% of them informed me about their plans to sue. Occasionally, an ignorant out of state attorney would actually file suit. Once presented with state law, the suits were immediately dropped. Many many people do not realize that open to the public does not mean that a business can't set their own rules and refuse service and or entry to anyone they wish as long as it does not utilize discriminatory practices.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Sign or no sign entering a Circle K in Louisiana with a concealed weapon does NOT automatically make you a criminal if you have a CCP.I don't know what this TN law is but posting NO GUNS in our store in LA is just like posting NO SHIRT,NO SHOES,NO SERVICE and carries as much weight leagally.It's a store RULE not state LAW.Now,if you loudly announce upon entry "Hey I'm carrying a concealed handgun!" they can most certainly tell you to leave since you are breaking one of their "rules".Then,if you don't leave,you are breaking LA state law and police can be called and you could be arrested for remaining after being forbidden.So,my advice,keep your piece well concealed,your mouth shut and go ahead in and buy yourself a slurpee!

Sarge,

As posted already, you may want to check your facts a little more before you go spouting off recommendations to people.

Last time I checked, LA RS 40:1379.3 is a law. Now I agree, it is highly unlikely if NO OTHER circumstances existed, which I do not see how that is possible if you suddenly find yourself talking to the police, but it is highly unlikely the fact that you disobeyed a sign would alone get you a ride to jail.

Otherwise, besides advocating that people completely disregard the legal and rightful wishes of private property owners and in fact break a LAW, the spirit of what you are saying is not entirely incorrect. How would you feel if someone said F--ck it, I am going to do what I want in his yard? Please save the "open to the public" cry. The fact is at the end of the day, someone OWNS the property other than you, and as such, they have a right to do what they want with it.

You may choose not to patronize such a place since that is your right, but it is most definitely their right to forbid you.

Again, it is highly unlikely someone would see time or a fine for that fact alone, but ...

1. That does not make it legal
    2. 99% of the time, something else will happen to bring that individual into the purview of LEO, and then the gun comes into play.
    3. Just because you do it and get away with it, that does not make it right or legal.

Maybe someone could do like our OC friends do and write the company to see if that is policy or even speak with the store manager and see if they can change the sign to exempt CHP and / or OC people. Because let's face it, you are basically proving the fact that criminals do not adhere to signage.

Have you given any thought into how it will play out in court when you get on the stand with your "Kill them all and let God sort them out" T-shirt and NRA baseball cap after a legitimate use of force incident and then the prosecutor starts calling your character and behavior into question because let's face it, "If the defendant cannot even obey a simple sign from a property owner, is it not believable that he would not respect and obey the decedents Constitutional rights to life? He entered that store with willful disregard for state law and the wishes of the property owner. If he had never brought that gun into the store, then there is no way he could have shot and killed Mr. Orangello Jenkins IV. Look at his online posts, He even calls himself "Rebel" Ray. Clearly he sees himself as someone above the law and the rules of man.",
    as he displays a life size portrait of Mr. Jenkins in his favorite RIP pookie T-shirt holding 6 of his 11 kids with 3 of dey mommas.

As stupid as that sounds, it happens in court everyday.

R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

A law enforcement office, station, or building;

A detention facility, prison, or jail;

A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;

A polling place;

A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;

The state capitol building;

Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;

Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship;

A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;

Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.

Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Last edited:

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    A private business is private property not public property and can refuse service or entry to anyone they wish. I've banned literally hundreds of people from my former employer's property and 90% of them informed me about their plans to sue. Occasionally, an ignorant out of state attorney would actually file suit. Once presented with state law, the suits were immediately dropped. Many many people do not realize that open to the public does not mean that a business can't set their own rules and refuse service and or entry to anyone they wish as long as it does not utilize discriminatory practices.

You are absolutely right sir and you can indeed refuse service and ban people or former employees or whoever from your property.

There are distinctions made between a private residence and someone's business.Let me show you what I mean.

Your standing in your front yard having a beer,the town has an ordinance against open containers of alcohol in public,are you breaking the law?No it's your private residence.Now you go down the road to YOUR business,a store, and get you a beer and stand out in the parking lot and start drinking it,breaking the law now?Yep.

Another example you walk around INSIDE your house naked right?Nothing illegal there right?Well since you OWN the business and it's your PRIVATE property,you should be able to walk around inside your store naked right?Nope breaking the law.

This is what I mean when I say there are some differences when you open your doors to the public.

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    Sarge,

As posted already, you may want to check your facts a little more before you go spouting off recommendations to people.

Last time I checked, LA RS 40:1379.3 is a law. Now I agree, it is highly unlikely if NO OTHER circumstances existed, which I do not see how that is possible if you suddenly find yourself talking to the police, but it is highly unlikely the fact that you disobeyed a sign would alone get you a ride to jail.

Otherwise, besides advocating that people completely disregard the legal and rightful wishes of private property owners and in fact break a LAW, the spirit of what you are saying is not entirely incorrect. How would you feel if someone said F--ck it, I am going to do what I want in his yard? Please save the "open to the public" cry. The fact is at the end of the day, someone OWNS the property other than you, and as such, they have a right to do what they want with it.

You may choose not to patronize such a place since that is your right, but it is most definitely their right to forbid you.

Again, it is highly unlikely someone would see time or a fine for that fact alone, but ...

1. That does not make it legal
    2. 99% of the time, something else will happen to bring that individual into the purview of LEO, and then the gun comes into play.
    3. Just because you do it and get away with it, that does not make it right or legal.

Maybe someone could do like our OC friends do and write the company to see if that is policy or even speak with the store manager and see if they can change the sign to exempt CHP and / or OC people. Because let's face it, you are basically proving the fact that criminals do not adhere to signage.

Have you given any thought into how it will play out in court when you get on the stand with your "Kill them all and let God sort them out" T-shirt and NRA baseball cap after a legitimate use of force incident and then the prosecutor starts calling your character and behavior into question because let's face it, "If the defendant cannot even obey a simple sign from a property owner, is it not believable that he would not respect and obey the decedents Constitutional rights to life? He entered that store with willful disregard for state law and the wishes of the property owner. If he had never brought that gun into the store, then there is no way he could have shot and killed Mr. Orangello Jenkins IV. Look at his online posts, He even calls himself "Rebel" Ray. Clearly he sees himself as someone above the law and the rules of man.",
    as he displays a life size portrait of Mr. Jenkins in his favorite RIP pookie T-shirt holding 6 of his 11 kids with 3 of dey mommas.

As stupid as that sounds, it happens in court everyday.

Yep it sure does.

You make some extremely valid points.I am absolutely not advocating anyone break any law.

For the record IF I had a CHP or CCP or whatever I would not chance losing it over the issue but instead avoid any place that I know doesn't want me there.

Also for the record,I don't not own a "Kill them all and let God sort them out T-shirt" nor do I advocate that philosophy.As for "Rebel" Ray it is well know among my peers that I am a Star Wars fan.

See my previous post in response to " Please save the "open to the public" cry. The fact is at the end of the day, someone OWNS the property other than you, and as such, they have a right to do what they want with it."

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yep it sure does.

You make some extremely valid points.I am absolutely not advocating anyone break any law.

For the record IF I had a CHP or CCP or whatever I would not chance losing it over the issue but instead avoid any place that I know doesn't want me there.

Also for the record,I don't not own a "Kill them all and let God sort them out T-shirt" nor do I advocate that philosophy.As for "Rebel" Ray it is well know among my peers that I am a Star Wars fan.

See my previous post in response to " Please save the "open to the public" cry. The fact is at the end of the day, someone OWNS the property other than you, and as such, they have a right to do what they want with it."

You are absolutely right sir and you can indeed refuse service and ban people or former employees or whoever from your property.

There are distinctions made between a private residence and someone's business.Let me show you what I mean.

Your standing in your front yard having a beer,the town has an ordinance against open containers of alcohol in public,are you breaking the law?No it's your private residence.Now you go down the road to YOUR business,a store, and get you a beer and stand out in the parking lot and start drinking it,breaking the law now?Yep.

Another example you walk around INSIDE your house naked right?Nothing illegal there right?Well since you OWN the business and it's your PRIVATE property,you should be able to walk around inside your store naked right?Nope breaking the law.

This is what I mean when I say there are some differences when you open your doors to the public.

The t-shirt and user name comment are an illustration of how seemingly innocuous bits of information can be gelled together by an attorney to paint a certain picture of you-- one that paints you as a government-hating, gun toting, domestic terrorist, hell bent on vigilante justice--basically MEM. ;)

I do not think anyone here is arguing that there are not distinct differences between your private residence and a private business open to the public (hence why there is no such thing as extensions of home), but what you described does nothing to support your claim about firearms in a privately owned public place; especially given that the law specifically protects private property owners.

Furthermore, there is the issue of respecting another's private property. If I had a rule in my home or business to take off your shoes, then I would expect you to. If you refuse, I have a right to refuse you service and ask you to leave. ILike you stated previously, at that point, igf you refuse to leave, you are breaking the law--remaining. If you disagree with my rules, you have a right to shop elsewhere. You do not have a right to do as you please on my property.

If you walked into my store and out with your shoes on despite my sign or directions to remove them, you are not breaking the law. However, in regards to the Concealed HANDGUN Permit (CHP), and yes it matters because it should matter to be accurate and there are legislative restrictions on what can be carried, it is breaking the law, because their is a specific law prohibiting it.

People who say "Concealed means concealed" in regards to these types of issues are basically admitting to breaking the law and it will eventually bite them. if you are not going to follow the rules of the CHP, then just don't get one and ride dirty. That way, when you get caught, you at least do not make CHP holders look bad and ruin it for the rest of us.

The same applies if you do not believe in supporting:
    "Minority" owned businesses
    BP owned business
    Businesses that sell marcotic paraphenalia
    Businesses that do not allow firearms
    Businissess painted blue.

WHatever.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    What about off duty LEO? I know I carry concealed 90%+ of the time off duty. Will this sign bite me in the ass? It shouldn't IMO.

Definitely not in your jurisdiction, and most likely not in this state. However, when carrying under HB218 inother states, you are basically a CHP holder there and must abide by all of their laws for carry, use of force, signage, etc.

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    That's a good question-

Originally Posted by usafcajun
    "What about off duty LEO? I know I carry concealed 90%+ of the time off duty. Will this sign bite me in the ass? It shouldn't IMO."

And an excellent answer-

Definitely not in your jurisdiction, and most likely not in this state. However, when carrying under HB218 inother states, you are basically a CHP holder there and must abide by all of their laws for carry, use of force, signage, etc.

I agree with 100% on that.

On all the rest of this,well I think the shysters may have to hash it all out in court one day.

Anyway,it's all ways best to err on the side of caution and if there is some question as to wheter or not something is legal one should always make the more cautious choice.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Screw Circle K

SCREW CIRCLE K and the SAND NEGRO'S who work there!
    I'll buy my gas, beer, chips, dip and legal weed elsewere!!!!
    And OH that bulge you see in my front pocket is simply a sign that I was glad to be doing business here not actually a gun!!

HPIM1840.jpg

Last edited:

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    I am not going to risk my CHP for a bag of chips. If a business post a no guns sign, I just get back in my car, go somewhere else, and never return. I have found that the businesses with these signs are few and far between, and avoiding them is pretty easy. The exceptions being hospitals and post offices. For those I have to resort to my car safe, as much as I hate doing it. I feel naked without my pistol.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    People who say "Concealed means concealed" in regards to these types of issues are basically admitting to breaking the law and it will eventually bite them.

Agree with all that was posted by you except the above statement about "concealed means concealed". Have used that term for years, but not about breaking the law. It is used, and LOTS of folks use it this way, to imply stupidity in giving away the potential tactical advantage of having someone know you are armed.

Other than that nitpicking, great advice.

Top Bottom