Citrus trees

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I have several citrus trees, One of them is very large and difficult to cover during cold weather. Would I hurt the tree by trimming back the larger branches before a freeze or do I have to wait until early spring?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You can send that question to the LSU AG Center website, and their horticulturists will answer. When you do, ask them what I can do to get my citrus trees to grow taller? My fruit hangs to the ground. :)

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I have several citrus trees, One of them is very large and difficult to cover during cold weather. Would I hurt the tree by trimming back the larger branches before a freeze or do I have to wait until early spring?

The LSU ag center can positively answer your question.

MY advice is wait till around the 15th of December allowing the tree to get quite a few cold/frost/freeze mornings then whack them to the desired formation your trying to achieve...

By the way Sir

I have a sugar cane question, the cane I in September is now about 2' tall should I wack it to the ground and mulch it or simply let it grow?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

S.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Yes it needs to be trimmed back to within 3-6 inches from the ground before a freeze. Mulch is not necessary.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Any idea why half my satsumas have a brown, leather like skin? The fruit itself is fine, just the skin was off this year. Didn't have that problem last year. Started turning back in July / August. My thought was maybe something along the lines of Sun Burn?

Beeramid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Near Lafayette, La
    I have been wrapping my citrus trees with conventional white Christmas lights (do NOT use LED's) and covering them and they've done quite well even on the coldest nights. This year I'm thinking of building a cube to cover them with, using 1" PVC tubing, covering it with plastic, then adding the light strands. Also, I plug into an analog timer, so they come on and shut off when I want them to. If mine were big enough to prune, I would wait until early February, do not prune on March 1st or after.

fallingbird

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Metairie
    I have been wrapping my citrus trees with conventional white Christmas lights (do NOT use LED's) and covering them and they've done quite well even on the coldest nights. This year I'm thinking of building a cube to cover them with, using 1" PVC tubing, covering it with plastic, then adding the light strands. Also, I plug into an analog timer, so they come on and shut off when I want them to. If mine were big enough to prune, I would wait until early February, do not prune on March 1st or after.

This man knows what he's doing.

Top Bottom