City of Central joins "lazy ticket club"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    If we put good crime cameras all over crime ridden neighborhoods and had a police force that would enforce them crime would go down. The big problem is the cameras they put up are worse than the ones I bought for $800 for my neighborhood. I saw a shot from one of a guy climbing the post with a spray-paint can. The camera was looking right at him, and he was about 20 feet away, but you couldn't recognize the guy. Them's crappy cameras. Mine are 6MPX cameras, and you can read the label on the bastard's shirt from 50 feet.

Q: What happens when the shitbag element simply moves on to a nicer neighborhood where there are no cameras? Do we then fill every square inch of the metro area with cameras and a huge police force?

No thanks.

Ragin Cajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    For those thinking "paintball.."

Interesting fact about paintballs. Paintballs are designed to white out and wash away after a rain or two. They don't last.

Oh-dark-thirty and Krylon. Carry on. :)

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Yep people talking about things they don't know about.

I have one friend that has gotten two tickets months apart from N.O. and guess what. He hasn't been anywhere close to N.O. in years and his car has never been there. The damn car in the picture is a Texas plate with same number as his LA plate. So much for a LEO verifying the info before mailing out the ticket.

Another friend, ticket in the mail from N.O., hasn't been there, car in picture is a white Chysler his car that he traded in over a year before was a black Honda. White car in picture has Texas plate same number at my friend's LA plate. So much for a LEO verifying the info before mailing out the ticket.

On the TV news in BR awhile back man gets ticket in mail car was dark color Mercury, the man's Chevy Surburban was white. Same deal Texas plate with the same number as his LA plate. So much for a LEO verifying the info before mailing out the ticket.

At least if a LEO writes you a ticket it will be YOU and not somebody from TX.

Oh, those car owners must not 'Know what they are talking about'
    :rolleyes:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yep people talking about things they don't know about.

I have one friend that has gotten two tickets months apart from N.O. and guess what. He hasn't been anywhere close to N.O. in years and his car has never been there. The damn car in the picture is a Texas plate with same number as his LA plate. So much for a LEO verifying the info before mailing out the ticket.

Fair enough. Perhaps I should have been more specific . They review the violation. In other words, they ensure the redlight was really run, they also verify that the speed was faster than posted. they do not run every plate. You know better than that. i was referring more to redlights than speed, but they are still reviewed.

And furthermore, I said MOST jurisdictions. When JP was doing it, I watched them for almost a day. i saw the whole process. While your examples are probably true, the system does make mistakes with plates from other states. Also, LEO's make mistakes.

You are correct in that

Another friend, ticket in the mail from N.O., hasn't been there, car in picture is a white Chysler his car that he traded in over a year before was a black Honda. White car in picture has Texas plate same number at my friend's LA plate. So much for a LEO verifying the info before mailing out the ticket.

On the TV news in BR awhile back man gets ticket in mail car was dark color Mercury, the man's Chevy Surburban was white. Same deal Texas plate with the same number as his LA plate. So much for a LEO verifying the info before mailing out the ticket.

At least if a LEO writes you a ticket it will be YOU and not somebody from TX.

No system is perfect, that is why we have courts. I admit, and you have proven, automated systems have their flaws, but the point is, when they are operational, violations decrease.

Clearview and Vets went from something like 14,000 violations a month for the first 4 months down to 400 per month for the remaining months. IE---people stopped running redlights. And BTW, only 2 rear-end accidents attributed to people "slamming on the brakes" for the lights. Those people received tickets for careless operation as it was apparent from the video and eye-witnesses they were speeding and should have been able to stop.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Fair enough. Perhaps I should have been more specific . They review the violation. In other words, they ensure the redlight was really run, they also verify that the speed was faster than posted. they do not run every plate. You know better than that. i was referring more to redlights than speed, but they are still reviewed.

And furthermore, I said MOST jurisdictions. When JP was doing it, I watched them for almost a day. i saw the whole process. While your examples are probably true, the system does make mistakes with plates from other states. Also, LEO's make mistakes.

Out with the 'meds' insults and violations of the rules again are you?

No more than I expected.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Out with the 'meds' insults and violations of the rules again are you?

No more than I expected.

Are you saying you do not take meds? :eek3:

Facts are facts. AT least what i post is true.

you just make stuff up.

I guess your backhanded comment about my post was supposed to go unanswered right?:rolleyes: You can attempt to put words in my mouth, but I cannot state a fact?

i think your last posting while quoting something completely unrelated clearly proves my point.

guys like you will find something to bitch about no matter what. you get a ticket, cops are bad. SOmeone speeding down your street runs over your dog, cops shouldhave been doing a better job. It will never be the way you want it. you seem to live in your own reality of absolutes while the world at large does not operate that way.

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Are you saying you do not take meds? :eek3:

Facts are facts. AT least what i post is true.

you just make stuff up.

I guess your backhanded comment about my post was supposed to go unanswered right?:rolleyes: You can attempt to put words in my mouth, but I cannot state a fact?

i think your last posting while quoting something completely unrelated clearly proves my point.

guys like you will find something to bitch about no matter what. you get a ticket, cops are bad. SOmeone speeding down your street runs over your dog, cops shouldhave been doing a better job. It will never be the way you want it. you seem to live in your own reality of absolutes while the world at large does not operate that way.

We've been over the 'meds thing' before, KMA.

No backhanded comments here, I DO believe you know EXACTLY what I think of you.

Your commnets were NOT unrelated, they showed your mentality on the subject.

And your cop/dog commnets are complete BS.
    (And I'm not talking Bayoushooter)

And yes, to some degree the world is absolutes.
    There are things which are right and things which are wrong.
    Inbetween there si alot of grey, but those things which are absolutes are inflexable.

Howevermuch you might wish them otherwise.

Have a nice night.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    We've been over the 'meds thing' before, KMA.

No backhanded comments here, I DO believe you know EXACTLY what I think of you.

Your commnets were NOT unrelated, they showed your mentality on the subject.

And your cop/dog commnets are complete BS.
    (And I'm not talking Bayoushooter)

And yes, to some degree the world is absolutes.
    There are things which are right and things which are wrong.
    Inbetween there si alot of grey, but those things which are absolutes are inflexable.

Howevermuch you might wish them otherwise.

Have a nice night.

not sure what KMA means, but good night sweet fellow.

Really, absolutes are inflexible? :eek3: The hell you say?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    For those who can read and form coherent thoughts....

My point is this. No system is perfect. Not live LEO and not cameras. However, the cameras do work at what they are inteded for...minimizing violations and increasing revenue. Because the fact is, there will always be those who break the law.

Be it out of spite, stupidity, or honest mistakes.

i know when the cameras are there, I am more aware of how I drive in general, and specifically at those locations, so it works on me at least. As far as the facing your accusor. Whatever.

i think if you are wrong it is a non-issue...you are wrong.

We convict people everyday on video evidence for murder, drugs, etc. Speeding is no different. there is no need legally for the officer to physically witness the violation.

That is a cop out. You either admit you were wrong and face the consequences or you say you were innocent and go to court. As far as those who were ticketed based on wrong plates. Again, the system is not perfect and I agree that is a burden the citizen should not have to bear.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Q: What happens when the shitbag element simply moves on to a nicer neighborhood where there are no cameras? Do we then fill every square inch of the metro area with cameras and a huge police force?

No thanks.

Not necessary. We have cops and neighbors who watch our butts in the nicer neighborhoods.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Yup. Too true. On the other hand, the people in "nicer neighborhoods" aren't afraid to stand up and be witnesses - even though it may be because the SB's (see OleHeat's post) don't live in the neighborhood and are therefore less of a threat. Honestly, several years ago, Harry Lee sent a policeman to address our neighborhood association meeting. The guy told us that if we see someone walking in our neighborhood who clearly doesn't live there (read black person here), we should call the police, and they would ensure the interloper knew he was "made". I call the police all the time to report people in the neighborhood who don't live here, are clearly not going anywhere local, and appear to be up to no good. Sorry NolaCop. I know this makes your job more difficult, but we don't have much crime here.

We also call each other to report anything unusual, and we have an email list to inform each other of unusual or criminal events. From my conversations with others in nearby neighborhoods we're not unusual in this.

By the way, White Flight seems to be reversing in the past 30 years as suburbanites move back into previously poor neighborhoods, and reclaim them. It's not necessarily a one-way movement. Also the line appears to have been drawn in Metairie. Not much white flight going on. Why do you suppose?

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Nomad, the meds comment was probably out of line, but you do pretty much argue with everything. I think NolaCop is right about the complaints thing. People (and you appear to be in this camp at the moment) seem to complain about police being overly aggressive until something happens to them, then the police are always sitting around in donut shops.

NolaCop pointed out, and I think he's right that the semi-automated system has flaws, but the courts are there to sort these things out. In all the cases you mentioned the owners could have straightened out the problems with a phone call or at worse a trip to court. On the other hand the intersection in question is undeniably vastly safer for the presence of the cameras.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Nomad, the meds comment was probably out of line, but you do pretty much argue with everything. I think NolaCop is right about the complaints thing. People (and you appear to be in this camp at the moment) seem to complain about police being overly aggressive until something happens to them, then the police are always sitting around in donut shops.

NolaCop pointed out, and I think he's right that the semi-automated system has flaws, but the courts are there to sort these things out. In all the cases you mentioned the owners could have straightened out the problems with a phone call or at worse a trip to court. On the other hand the intersection in question is undeniably vastly safer for the presence of the cameras.

Correct on all accounts.

Admittedly the meds comment was a tad out of line, but it was apparent he was pushing buttons, so.....of course I pushed back.

NOMAD and others have stong views against government involvement at any level, and on many cases I agree, but while I still have issues with some of the monies and processes of automated traffic enforcement, the fact is they work.

Once you get past the conspiracy that it is ALL about money, or after you work a few fatalities or near fatalities due to speed, carelessness,, DUI, etc, you realize their is a need for it.

i am starting to lean more towards the camp of "unless it violates another or their property...", but I also see that will never work until there is consistent and appropriate consequence for such transgression. Until then, what we have is the best we can work with. i have no problem writing someone for reckless operation even though they haven't caused an accident ...yet.

however, things like seatbelts, helmets, etc. are starting to become less of a priority.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Correct on all accounts.

Admittedly the meds comment was a tad out of line, but it was apparent he was pushing buttons, so.....of course I pushed back.

NOMAD and others have stong views against government involvement at any level, and on many cases I agree, but while I still have issues with some of the monies and processes of automated traffic enforcement, the fact is they work.

Once you get past the conspiracy that it is ALL about money, or after you work a few fatalities or near fatalities due to speed, carelessness,, DUI, etc, you realize their is a need for it.

i am starting to lean more towards the camp of "unless it violates another or their property...", but I also see that will never work until there is consistent and appropriate consequence for such transgression. Until then, what we have is the best we can work with. i have no problem writing someone for reckless operation even though they haven't caused an accident ...yet.

however, things like seatbelts, helmets, etc. are starting to become less of a priority.

Glad to see you are coming around.

As to 'cops in donut shops'...

So long as I am not Un Conn. disarmed.... I can't think of any time I've ever needed or expect to need a cop except to write a police report...

And yea, I'll argue. Whenever I feel I'm right, and I am something of a stickler for 'original intent'.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Not necessary. We have cops and neighbors who watch our butts in the nicer neighborhoods.

True. Normally it is the whites in nicer neighborhoods who leave and then it degrades. In criminology it is called "white flight"

And this is because why? :confused:

C'mon guys. We all know how this works. I saw it happen right before my eyes in North Baton Rouge, as did everyone else here who grew up there. I grew up on Wilmot Street. Look it up.:eek3:
    The whites in the nicer neighborhoods didn't just pull up stakes for the hell of it. They either moved or simply accepted the fact that they were living in a major ******** riddled with crime and criminals. The crime did not come after they left- they/we left because of it. Some of the elderly- those who actually built the neighborhood and surrounding areas- were trapped, and could not leave. That's the gospel truth- I **** you not.

And furthermore- the truth is NOBODY is watching your butt- unless you happen to have your own personal bodyguards. If life were that easy, we'd all only own firearms for hunting & the shooting sports (and just because we love 'em.)....But here's the obvious, preachin' to the choir part: Most of us believe we need them to protect ourselves, and our home & family, as well.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I grew up in Glen Oaks . I know all about " white flight " . Whether you left before the problems started or after , you were gonna leave sooner or later . The writting was on the wall .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom