Cleaner and Lube (What Do You Use?)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    I did a little searching on clean, cleaning, lube, and lubrication, but didn't find too much mention of brands beyond CLP or Hoppe's No. 9.

I currently use Hoppe's No. 9 for the barrels. For lubrication, I use Militec-1. I'm basically following the cleaning & lubrication procedure here:

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/MaintenanceGuides.aspx

So for muggy, humid Louisiana, which brand products do you all use/recommend for cleaning and lube?

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I use Butch's Bore Shine for the barrel and slide parts that get dirty. Is really good for breaking up that red sealer that comes on Russian Ammo.

KEMOSABI

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    EEZOX is all i use....Its good stuff,one step clean and lube.Leaves no finger printing and nothing sticks to it.Whats cool is it works like teflon but there is none in it....Its under 10.00 a can and last forever.....

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Thanks for all the feedback. I guess, with all the variety in feedback, the lesson is just clean it with the appropriate stuff. :mamoru:

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    For my AR: SLiP2000
    For everything else: Ballistol

from the SLiP2000 website: "Don't let dust, moisture, cold weather or carbon buildup interfere with your guns ability to perform. Slip 2000 Gun Lubricant is formulated to provide maximum performance in extreme conditions.

Sandy and Dusty Conditions
    Slip 2000 Gun Lubricant is a pure synthetic blend of the highest quality, so it does not attract dust, dirt or sand like petroleum based products. Even in extremely dusty conditions your gun will function properly.

Wet or Humid Conditions
    It is excellent at displacing moisture. This will help prevent corrosion in wet or humid conditions including exposure to coastal elements.

Extreme Hot and Cold Conditions
    Slip 2000 Gun Lubricant has a temperature range of -110 degrees F to a +1250 degrees F so it will not freeze, become sticky or slow down in cold weather and, it will not evaporate in hot weather or burn off during repeat firing. This temperature range will help prevent jamming, freezing and misfires you would encounter with a lesser lubricant.

Fouling Build Up
    It will penetrate the micro-pores of metal surfaces and actually bond itself to your gun preventing carbon, lead, copper, plastic and other fouling from building up. This means more rounds before cleaning and an easier cleanup.

Extreme conditions demand an Extreme lubricant.
    That is why the Law Enforcement and Military Professionals are demanding Slip 2000"

(Most other Lubes are only rated up to about 500 degrees. I go with SLiP2000 in my AR because it is rated to more than double that, and it stays where you put it well.)

from the Ballistol website: "BALLISTOL can be used to lubricate practically anything on and around cars, boats, motorcycles etc.. If it squeaks, if it binds - BALLISTOL it. Since BALLISTOL is not toxic and does not contain any carcinogenic substances, it is safe for use inside a car or boat, in areas where people might touch it. Since it becomes practically odorless approximately 20 minutes after application, its smell will not be a nuisance to people traveling in a vehicle. You can lubricate practically any material with BALLISTOL. This amazing product can be used on all metals and all plastics. Zippers on convertibles ( Jeep etc.), door hinges, locks, antennas, switches, threads on lugs and nuts, adjustable seats, sliding car windows etc. can be lubricated with BALLISTOL.
    BALLISTOL is a far better lubricant than most, if not all, other so-called gun oils. One of the worst sins of most common "gun oils" is that they gum up and harden relatively fast. They become sticky and gluey and can dangerously interfere with the proper mechanical function of a firearm. BALLISTOL WILL POSITIVELY NEVER GUM UP OR HARDEN.

For hand loaders: BALLISTOL is an excellent case sizing lubricant. Cases won't get stuck in the reloading dies and when you wipe them off, they will be cleaned of dirt and oxide.

Most lubricants do not mix with water. They separate from water and thus lose their capability to lubricate in the presence of water. Not so with BALLISTOL. BALLISTOL emulsifies with water and is, therefore, capable of lubricating in the presence of water, like a boring or cutting oil. BALLISTOL can also be applied to things that are already wet, even soaked, including plastics, wood and leather."

Ballistol and Corrosion Prevention "Most lubricating oils and corrosion inhibitors are pH-neutral. Their pH is 7 (as that of water) and they are thus neither acidic or alkaline. These "neutral" oils can protect against one type of corrosion only: oxidation. However, there are other types of corrosion such as galvanic corrosion and acidic corrosion. And in a marine environment there is, of course, salt water corrosion, which is a combination of all of the above. Most common lubricants and corrosion inhibitors are completely useless against acidic, galvanic corrosion or any combination of the two. Not so with BALLISTOL.

BALLISTOL is mildly alkaline. Its pH varies between 8 and 9.5, depending on its concentration in an emulsion (the pH cannot be measured unless in a watery solution or in an emulsion with water). It is therefore capable of neutralizing acids and acidic residues and of inhibiting not only oxidation but also acidic and galvanic corrosion. This means better corrosion prevention in a marine environment."

(I like Ballistol because it is alkaline. This allows it to be mixed with water, turning the water slightly basic and inhibiting the rust forming properties of the water. Then as the water evaporates, it leaves behind a film of Ballistol. Ballistol's properties that neutralize acidic and galvanic corrosion also makes it a great lube to neutralize corrosive surplus ammo. Also it is non-toxic and non-carcenogenic. This is my general purpose oil...)

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Breakfree usually. Hoppe's benchrest or copper solvent on the bore occasionally.
    I'd really like to try one of the electronic bore cleaners on my enfield though. The bore is pretty dark and I'm betting its been repeatedly plated with copper, powder, and gunslick (a thick gun grease my dad used to use when we lived in Canada).

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    For the handguns, I use Hoppes Benchrest and/or Brake Cleaner (non-chlorinated) to clean. Wilson Ultima-Lube to keep 'em slick. I'm also a big fan of BoreSnakes.

For the AK BreakFree CLP gets the job done quick and easy.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Using CLP is analogous to relying on a combination radar detector/laser detector/laser jammer.

There are individual components available whose sum is far greater than the combo products.

Of course you could carry a Glock....then all the cleaning debate would be academic.

And you could drive a VW, a Kia or a Volvo and skip the concerns about radar and lasers.

I didn't mean to post this. It just slipped out when my computer booted up.

lilmoose0

Crack don't smoke it self
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    Cheapest can of spray lube around ($1.24 @ Chinamart) and Red High temp automotive grease. (Lithium)
    I too am on the Red High temp grease ban wagon for all my auto rifles. Nothing beats it.
    It make cleanup easy, I also use Hoppes Benchrest and/or Brake Cleaner.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom