Cleaning a AR-15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM-47

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Dickinson, Texas
    Is it possible to clean a AR the same way I would a AK or does a AR get to gunked up for a simple cleaning

I’m more collector then shooter and have never put more then 60 rounds through a AK

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Is it possible to clean a AR the same way I would a AK or does a AR get to gunked up for a simple cleaning

I’m more collector then shooter and have never put more then 60 rounds through a AK
    Without knowing how you would clean an AK, I can't really answer that...

60 rounds isn't even worth a second look at the gun, though, imo.

ETA: But for a collector who might be more interested in a thorough cleaning... it's quite easy. It field strips very fast and requires no tools. You can separate the receiver halves and get very good access to all the necessary parts. Since the upper half separates, you can get at the bore with a rigid rod without a problem. I use a bore snake though, but ymmv.

Last edited:

AKM-47

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Dickinson, Texas
    Without knowing how you would clean an AK, I can't really answer that...

Take the top cover off, take out the spring, take out the bolt.....mount cleaning tool, loop or needle on brass rod, dip patches into or spray on cleaning fluid, put down barrel

Put clean patches through until last patch is clean

Clean bolt

Clean around chamber

Oil bolt, put bolt back in, oil spring, put spring back in, put top cover back on

5 min. total.....7 to 10 min. if I clean the gas tube

AKM-47

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Dickinson, Texas
    That's about the same difficulty and moving of parts. It's simple.

I have watched a few videos and noticed they spray cleaner all inside the receiver and had to break down the bolt and clean it

The AK’s did not have to be cleaned this way and the bolt only has two parts...three if you take the pin out

Plus it only needs a lite coat of oil on the spring and where the bolt slides back and forth...the AR needs a lube job...it seamed like the whole bolt needs a heavy coat of oil

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I have watched a few videos and noticed they spray cleaner all inside the receiver and had to break down the bolt and clean it

The AK’s did not have to be cleaned this way and the bolt only has two parts...three if you take the pin out

Plus it only needs a lite coat of oil on the spring and where the bolt slides back and forth...the AR needs a lube job...it seamed like the whole bolt needs a heavy coat of oil

Your way over thinking it. If your a collector not a shooter there's no need to lube an AR.

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    What's this cleaning thing?

Field strip it and toss the parts into a 5 gal bucket of mineral spirits overnight (yes, the upper and lower too). Next day pull it out (if your like me you have parts from a few guns in there...) wipe down, apply lube, assemble, clean again after a few thousand rounds.

Bulldawg

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    New Roads
    Top Bottom