Cleaning up old ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    i recently got my first ak. a family memeber gave me some older ammo he had for a old sks. nothing real bad just old and tranished and looking a little ruff. anyone know any good trips for cleaning up old ammo?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    A guy gave me some old ammo for my Garand . It was pretty tarnished and ugly . I put it in a tumbler and it cleaned up pretty good .

mikewxs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Ball, LA
    Unless there is a build up of tarnish or corossion, the best thing to do is shoot it. If you are worried about it sticking in the chamber, squirt some CLP or light gun oil on it, roll it in a towel to clean off the excess, then shoot it.

Danable

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Unless there is a build up of tarnish or corossion, the best thing to do is shoot it. If you are worried about it sticking in the chamber, squirt some CLP or light gun oil on it, roll it in a towel to clean off the excess, then shoot it.

The guy teaching my concealed carry class touched on this subject. Another student said he had ammo that he had sprayed and wiped off when he cleaned his revolver that was left holstered in a truck for a while. The lecture was stopped so the student could shoot his freshly cleaned ammo in the firing lane. 3 of the six did not ignite properly

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Oil destroys primers. Don't use oil. If its just tarnished just shoot the ammo it won't matter.

I toss all my pistol reloads in the tumbler to get rid of the lube. Even with federal primers (the easiest to ignite) I've yet to have one go off. You'll never have rounds impacting each other with enough force to set one off. Primers are made to go off on a HARD strike. Having loose rounds bounce around in an ammo can is more jarring than that and lots of folks transport loose rounds in ammo cans without incident.

jbk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    i have heard of tumbling loaded ammo, never have done it. i just lightly chucked it in a drill and very lightly with scotchbrite and then with 000 steel wool on a slow speed. i tried just steel wool but it was a little nastier than i thought. All the ammo came out like new. thanks for input guys

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom