CLEO Sign Off?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fat Andy

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    Looking to build an SBR. I live in unincorporated Mandeville, St. Tammany Parish. Would Mandeville Police Chief Rick Richard or Sheriff Jack Strain have to sign off on my Form 1? Or does it not matter? And does anyone know if either actually do Form 1 sign-offs?

Thanks.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I haven't been through the ringer, but IIRC, Jack Strain won't sign off on anything. SpeedRacer can point you in the right direction, I believe.

Fat Andy

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    Well that's depressing. What about State police?

And what's the cost of an NFA trust? Not sure it's even worth it then if all I'm doing is an SBR.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Well that's depressing. What about State police?

And what's the cost of an NFA trust? Not sure it's even worth it then if all I'm doing is an SBR.

State police can't help you either. The CLEO would be based on your residence. Sorry, but you're stuck with Jack Strain. Unless you move.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I have. I initially asked my questions there but looked like the thread died. I'll have to look into a trust now to see if it's worth it or just go with a pinned and welded flash hider.

From what I have found, the cost through a lawyer should be around $300, give or take. There's a few here that you may want to contact. It might be worth it if you plan to add more pieces to your trust in the future.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have. I initially asked my questions there but looked like the thread died. I'll have to look into a trust now to see if it's worth it or just go with a pinned and welded flash hider.

If you're only looking to make a 14.5" SBR, I'd go the pinned and welded route. Just make sure you get which brake/comp you like.

From what I have found, the cost through a lawyer should be around $300, give or take. There's a few here that you may want to contact. It might be worth it if you plan to add more pieces to your trust in the future.

+1 to this

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Looking to build an SBR. I live in unincorporated Mandeville, St. Tammany Parish. Would Mandeville Police Chief Rick Richard or Sheriff Jack Strain have to sign off on my Form 1? Or does it not matter? And does anyone know if either actually do Form 1 sign-offs?

Thanks.

No. Neither one will sign off on it.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Just do the trust! It is easier anyway and well worth the $300 or less. You would be able to put family or anyone you trust in the trust. Otherwise, it is only you who can transport the weapon or can.
    Some CLEOs are fake conservatives who actually support gun control.

cajunranger

Ghost
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    DeRidder
    Just do the trust! It is easier anyway and well worth the $300 or less. You would be able to put family or anyone you trust in the trust. Otherwise, it is only you who can transport the weapon or can.
    Some CLEOs are fake conservatives who actually support gun control.

+1
    Contact Mouthpiece on this forum, he did mine and is a great guy to work with.

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Hit up JCCypress on here and have him create you a trust.
    With a trust you do not need any CLEO signoff at all.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    If you're just building up an SBR, you don't need the sign off yet. It's not a requirement. You can do all the paperwork online. Get the trust set up and send in the paperwork.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If you're just building up an SBR, you don't need the sign off yet. It's not a requirement. You can do all the paperwork online. Get the trust set up and send in the paperwork.

yup. I'm playing with AR Pistols and SBR's while waiting on the paperwork. Just do the trust man. Zero reason not to.

Fat Andy

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    Thanks for the advice all.

Ended up in contact with JCCypress who will be helping me create a trust. I look forward to getting it all started!

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    I don't know of anyone that has gotten into NFA items that just has one stamp. You will soon be hooked and glad you went the trust route. JCCypress is also really easy to deal with.

Top Bottom