CMMG AR-15 .223 --> 22LR Conervsion kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Having attempted to use 22 conversion kits in the past (Colt 1911 45ACP --> 22LR) with little luck, I was a bit skeptical that this unit was going to work with any consistency. I have a Colt Sporter II lower with a DSA 16 inch, mid-length upper.

Out of the box I have to do a little dremel work to get the 22 magazine to fit my lower. Upon doing so, it fit a little more loosely than I'd really like, but that was unavoidable.

The unit easily replaces the current BCG and is fully installed in the weapon in under one minute. I suggest plenty of lube on the unit before installation.

My gun also has the notched hammer, which is advised against for this kit. I order a rounded hammer, but never installed it and just figured I'd try this thing out & see what happens.

I have been told to expect a break-in period of several magazine and that if the CMMG mags continued to misfeed, to look into Blackdog magazines.

The first few shots were not so smooth and I had to clear the chamber 2 or 3 times.

After that, ROCK & ROLL, baby! We put about 250 rounds (El cheap-o Remington Gold Bullet Hollow Point bulk pack) through it with minimal issues- too much fun!

I wouldn't depend on it as a personal defense weapon, but I would have no problem using it for squirrel hunting or the like. At worst, your looking at a super-cheap means of shooting your AR all day!

COST: I scoured the internet and found mine for $130 and added an extra mag for $20.

BENEFIT: Totally kick-a$$ fun on the cheap. It will pay for itself within the first few hundred rounds.

Go forth and conquer!
    JC

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I honestly couldn't tell you at this point. I was on an indoor, 25 yd. range, standing up with iron sights and was really just testing the functionality of the unit. From what I could tell, it was staying on point decently, but this was anything but an accuracy test. Like I said, in my experience with conversion kits, I was just amazed at the fact at how well the thing was operating. I'll be sure to update when I have more info.

armyvet

Jun 20, 2011
    NOLA
    At about 10min into the video, this guy uses a 22LR CMMG conversion to split a playing card edgewise from 20 feet. Took him 4 shots in offhand (standing unsupported). Not bad!

Last edited:
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom