CMP trip

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ares

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Scott
    The CMP was on my bucket list and I told a few friend and they where dieing to come and pick out an M1 with me. It has been several years ago, but is a sweet memory of mine. My son got to come also. We made a weekend out of it. There is also a nice museum there. Berman museum of world history. Worth the trip.

Lots to look at. We spent most of the day looking first.

Son with a carbine.

Myself

My rifle Springfield CMP special grade in 30-06
    Anniston, Alabama location.

Last edited:

Ares

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Scott
    Yes. I was very lucky to get to go. The carbine
    my son is holding was an IBM. Still wishing
    I would have splurged on one of those also.
    :)

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I made the trip a few years ago and it was well worth the drive. I was/am going to get out there this summer but I doubt it's gonna happen. Shoulda bought way more ammo while I was there.
    Here is the H&R I picked out!
    1+ muzzle and 0+ chamber
    edu5ypah.jpg

Last edited:

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Me Too! I wish I could have bought one of each, even tho I don't think much of the carbines. I just got one of the International Harvester M1s and was disappointed and angered at first but I'm getting to like it. The rear sight falls apart and the front sight has rust on it when I take it out of the box. Like a special with new wood (CMP cartouche), new or reconditioned hardware, IHC postage stamp receiver and LMR barrel.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Me Too! I wish I could have bought one of each, even tho I don't think much of the carbines. I just got one of the International Harvester M1s and was disappointed and angered at first but I'm getting to like it. The rear sight falls apart and the front sight has rust on it when I take it out of the box. Like a special with new wood (CMP cartouche), new or reconditioned hardware, IHC postage stamp receiver and LMR barrel.

I got my order in for an IHC from the recent release. Here's hoping for a nice one.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Man, those were the days. Doubt we will ever see the store like that again. Racks of Garands & carbines !!

I skimmed over the part about it being several years ago. I was thinking, "When did they get carbines in again? And those sure are a lot better condition Garands then the last two times I went and came back basically empty-handed." Yeah, those were the days.

Ares

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Scott
    LOL. I just looked back. We went 1AUG2010. So almost 4 years ago. I remember the workers there saying that it was probaly going to be the last
    shipment of carbines that they will get.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Last I checked on the CMP forum pickins were supposedly pretty slim last summer and things didn't look promising. They usually give a decent inventory updates.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Last Time I went in April 2013, I arrived around noon the first day the store was open that week, wednesday. There were 8 service grade rifles left in the rack, the other 8 that were put out for the week had been sold that morning. There were a few drill rifles, a few $2,500 rifles M1-D or C, A few Kimber Model 82 gov't .22, a few bayonets, 3 mann accuracy devices. They say call before you drive to make sure there will be rifles put out that week.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Guys on the CMP post what they saw and how things are looking at the south store as regular reports in this forum at the CMP site
    http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=74 Looks like slim pickings lots of days But a quote from a thread 6-27 so that must have been a good day. When i see post there it looks like guys are getting the HRA specials as best guns. "HRA Specials" And getting lucky on a few older guns Lower cost here, and there when they pop up and get lucky.
    heres the quote:
    To my surprise the store was open when I arrived at 7:55am. I left from Columbus, Ga at 6:30 EST. There were 12-15 rack grade SA's, many drill rifles, about 2-3 NM's 10-15 M1D's and 20 HRA specials. I quickly proceeded over to the field grades and looked them over. I ended up with a 2.1 SA with an 11-51 HRA barrel. 3 MW, 2 TE. The kicker was the 0-66 receiver heel with a fresh birch stock non serif P and dark fresh Parkerizing. I was coming to the store to try and grab a 4.2. Well low and behold, a 4.25 SA with a 3-53 SA barrel MW 3, TE 3 and a walnut stock with matching hand guards and non serif P. Both came home with me. I will post pics when I am back in town. Most of the other field grade rifles were WW2 serial's and sported post WW2 barrels. There were some hidden gems though! If you are looking for a shooter I would pick one up.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom