Cold feet

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Danable

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    I'm sitting in my box blind right now. It's not all that cold outside (in the 40's) and my toes feel like they're gonna fall off. I wear wolverine hunting boots with thinsulate and thick socks. What do you guys use that keeps your feet warm??

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Wish I was in the stand... I have to make sure my boots are insulated, no rubber on them other than the sole and on cold mornings I use those little foot warmers under my toes. Oh yeah, and liner socks.

Keep having to edit... I make sure my thick socks are Merino wool

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    when I used to duck hunt and it was going to be freezing I would bring a pair of "Micky's" that my brother had given me from when he was stationed on the Czech border. Now the down side was I had to get to the blind with Hip boots too. But once in the blind, I would take the hip boots off and put the Micky's on.

Those of you miitary guys know what I'm talking about. I bought an additional pair from the PX. That was 20 years ago, and both pair still fit and still work like a dream. I have used the Micky's in deer stand too! same toasty result.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Man...What are you going to do when it really gets cold. I wear a pair of wolverine cowboy boots usually. When im in north alabama if it gets down in the single digits then I may put on some insulated boots. I love the cold though.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Kind of silly, but I have also heard of people using cayenne pepper or ginger in their socks to keep feet warm. I'll let you google it, but some say that they have gotten burns from the really hot pepper so try at your own risk lol

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    Man...What are you going to do when it really gets cold. I love the cold though.

+1 :rofl:

Seriously though, some will have problems with cold feet no matter what they use.

Here's a few good suggestions I bookmarked last year from a post over at SH:

Use a piece of closed cell foam pad to place under your feet and to sit on while stationary. Contact with cold will suck warmth very quickly.

Unlace your boots when stationary to increase blood flow.

Do not sit with legs bent and hard bend at the waist, this restricts blood flow.

Take baby aspirin and/or garlic pills to help with circulation

Hydrate days before and stay hydrated.

Eat quick and long energy food, sugars and fats. Rocket fuel is good, chocolate covered coffee beans for quick energy and the caffeine is good for the mind.

Thermos full of hot water and packets of Campbells instant soup was always a hit with my clients. I made mocha toos with hot choc and single coffee bags.

I carried a stove on the cold days, nothing like sparking the stove for some hot(Alaskan for winter food).

Seal oil, if you can choke it down, wow does it heat the body.

Layer your feet before heading out the door with under arm antiperspirant, I used Degree. Just like underarms, will shrink the pores and cut down on sweat and damp feet.

Do not wear too many socks and wear good socks. Adding socks will restrict blood flood. Todays socks or quality socks do not require a liner for comfort and moisture management and warmth. Many think socks are for warmth, not true, they are for comfort with moisture management. Do not use 100% wool socks like Smartwool for overnights. I prefer not to use 100% wool anytime. Wool is OK but just cannot dry quick enough for proper moisture management. Bridgedale are the best sock on the market...Rhonar is the best but who can find them. I have a pair of Outlast that are second to none too. Outlast is a good fabric for socks.

Try mint green Superfeet with outlast, standard Superfeet with insulating moisture management Outast.

Carry and wear camp booties while stationary, Parbat booties are superb if you can find them. One luxury must have must carry for me for decades in Alaska, summer and winter.

Good boots, not all insulated boots are insulated the same. 1400gr Thinsulate is not that good around the foot, the boot must be insulated under the foot, not on top, to make a very warm insulated boot. Insulated hunting boots from Cabelas are not in the same class as good mountaineering boots.

Jedi mind control, if the mind is having fun and enjoying the cold your body will stay warmer. If you start to think this sucks, I am cold then the body will follow. May sound stupid but it works. Helps with fatigue too. If I had a client going south, tell a good story with a smile and encouragement and it is amazing how their demeanor changed to this is fun.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Nasa can operate a go-kart on Mars from Earth!

How about we just make some socks and gloves that actually work in ANY temperature and cut all the crap!

I would estimate that about 80% of the gloves sold to hunters are worthless!

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    +1 Invest in quality Boots and Socks.
    If money is tight, it may seem like a waste to pay twice the price for socks, but on those cold days, you'll be glad you did.

I also be sure to periodically flex the muscles of my thighs, calfs and move my feet inside my boots a little.
    If you wait until your feet are cold, it might be tough to get them warmed.

Good luck.

mitter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Stop wearing thick socks unless are 2x your size. Thick socks in your regular sized boots will squeeze feet restricting blood flow. Use smart wool socks. They are much thinner but warm.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Stop wearing thick socks unless are 2x your size. Thick socks in your regular sized boots will squeeze feet restricting blood flow. Use smart wool socks. They are much thinner but warm.

Good pernt...I strangle my feet with huge socks then can't walk cause my boots are too tite.

vgodenwa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Gloster, MS
    Walking and sitting are not very compatible.
    Sitting you should use thick wool socks and boots that are too big, but not so big you can't walk.
    Walking should be thinner and properly fitted.
    No reason to be cold in the 40's.
    In extreme cold they make overbooties that you put on over the boot, but not in the 40's.
    I suspect your socks weren't wool???
    Make sure you have a good cushion under your butt so it doesn't cut off circulation to your legs and get cold from the metal stand.
    And a good hat.
    If it is 30's or below, use a one piece bib or coat that overlaps pants so air doesn't get in at kidney level.
    Von

Danable

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Yeah I use a cotton sock. No pad under the butt and my knees do stay bent at a 90. I paid $120 for my boots and was really let down. Thought they were gonna perform a little better. Thanks for all the tips guys

vgodenwa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Gloster, MS
    Your boots did not necessarily let you down. Boots cannot make up for cotton socks.
    Check out smartwool at Bowie or Backpacker and others I'm sure.
    They make a sock for every occasion.

Last edited:

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    If your feet are cold, put a hat on (a good one that covers your ears. I've also found a good neck gaiter can go a long way in keeping your body warm. Keep the heat in your core and head and your extremities will feel warmer. I've also used the duct tape/hand warmers on boots to help when you're sitting still for long periods like in a blind.

BIGGREEN

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I wear columbia liner socks under heavier wool ones to keep my feet dry. My boots are also a half size too large to compensate for the added thickness. The secret is to keep your feet dry. I also don't keep my boots inside the house so they don't get too warm and actually sweat inside. I have also heared women's stockings/knee-highs are good liners.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mike_717
    Top Bottom