college question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    You really gotta be careful when reslife does the semesterly candle and medusa lamp searches.
    I told them about the dead bodies in my closet and they told me they were looking for a certain kind of extension cord or some junk like that haha
    One year, my roommate said they were just looking for dead hookers :(

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I told them about the dead bodies in my closet and they told me they were looking for a certain kind of extension cord or some junk like that haha
    One year, my roommate said they were just looking for dead hookers :(
    And toasters....don't forget about those evil toasters, haha!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Do they really have that right? :confused:
    I think it goes back to the "my house - my rules" thing that many parents use. In this case the Res Halls are a privilege not a right and you agree to certain legal terms. Also, since a college campus is technically a firearm free zone (which works oh so well :P ) I can see how it could be even more legal for them to say no guns in their buildings that you essentially rent.

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:

(1) A federal, state, or local law enforcement officer in the performance of his official duties.

(2) A school official or employee acting during the normal course of his employment or a student acting under the direction of such school official or employee.

(3) Any person having the written permission of the principal.

(4) The possession of a firearm occurring within one thousand feet of school property and entirely on private property, or entirely within a private residence, or in accordance with a concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to R.S. 40:1379.1 or R.S. 40:1379.3.

(5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

(6) Any student carrying a firearm to or from a class, in which he is duly enrolled, that requires the use of the firearm in the class.

(7) A student enrolled or participating in an activity requiring the use of a firearm including but not limited to any ROTC function under the authorization of a university.

(8) A student who possesses a firearm in his dormitory room or while going to or from his vehicle or any other person with permission of the administration.

Just like the car, it's legal to do and you shouldn't be arrested for it, however I don't know of a single school that allows it. My house, my rules is right. You can have a toaster in your own house too.

Mwill75

Tinfoil Fitted
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    New Orleans Area
    It'd be the same issue as the "no firearms allowed sign at movie theaters" it's not a law, so the most they can do without police involvement is ask you to leave/ discipline you as it pertains to school.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Sorry guys, but any apartment you lease qualifies as a 'constitutionally protected' space.

As the lessee, you are the owner of the property during the time you are in good standing with the landlord.

The last time I read the lease, firearms were not mentioned.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Sorry guys, but any apartment you lease qualifies as a 'constitutionally protected' space.

As the lessee, you are the owner of the property during the time you are in good standing with the landlord.

The last time I read the lease, firearms were not mentioned.
    Very true, but an apartment owner can set up a code of conduct that you must follow. It could be anything arbitrary such as you can only wear green shirts while on my property, otherwise I will kick you out as you will be in breach of contract. In the case of firearms, they couldn't get you legally, but they could revoke your dormitory rights and could possibly discipline you academically.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Very true, but an apartment owner can set up a code of conduct that you must follow. It could be anything arbitrary such as you can only wear green shirts while on my property, otherwise I will kick you out as you will be in breach of contract. In the case of firearms, they couldn't get you legally, but they could revoke your dormitory rights and could possibly discipline you academically.

Except the state of Louisiana cannot require a legal gun owner be deprived of their gun in their home.

This has always been the case in Louisiana, but is now the law nationally, thanks to the Heller decision.

There is even an exception noted above stating it is legal to transport your gun on campus between constitutionally protected zones.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    And a state college code of conduct cannot circumvent state law.
    I wish it were so, but I again think it goes back to the my house my rules thing. LSU is a private university. Students are there at will of the university and can be kicked out for any reason or for no reason at all. Although you couldn't get in legal trouble, you could get kicked out of your dorm or even as a student at LSU for breaking their rules. There are no laws that state you cannot have a pocket knife on campus, yet at football games they will not allow people into the stadium (more specifically the student section) with a knife. Every student gets patted down before walking in. Just because it is legal doesn't mean they can't deny it from you.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    LSU is not private.

It is a state funded, public institution.

It's employees are state employees.

The land is owned by the state of Louisiana.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    And they cannot kick you out for no reason.

There is (was) specifically a caveat in the housing contract regarding this in that if you were removed from your dorm or apartment through no fault of your own, that you would be eligible for free room for the duration of your education.

This came into play when power hall was demolished between semesters.

Back then contracts were yearly and the only way a student could get out of it was to withdraw from LSU or be kicked out for disciplinary reasons.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    And they cannot kick you out for no reason.

There is (was) specifically a caveat in the housing contract regarding this in that if you were removed from your dorm or apartment through no fault of your own, that you would be eligible for free room for the duration of your education.

This came into play when power hall was demolished between semesters.

Back then contracts were yearly and the only way a student could get out of it was to withdraw from LSU or be kicked out for disciplinary reasons.
    I meant private in the sense that to be a student there, you have to pay for it. I do not live in the dorms at LSU, I have only read the code of conduct and other articles like that on LSU's website. The code of conduct does not allow for any weapons or anything that looks like a gun in the residential halls. I think it is silly, but I also am a believer that students with CHLs should be able to carry on campus. Maybe we need someone to bring a pistol to a res-hall and challenge it :) All in all, it's not that big of a deal as I wouldn't want 98% of the idiots at LSU to have guns, haha.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I meant private in the sense that to be a student there, you have to pay for it. I do not live in the dorms at LSU, I have only read the code of conduct and other articles like that on LSU's website. The code of conduct does not allow for any weapons or anything that looks like a gun in the residential halls. I think it is silly, but I also am a believer that students with CHLs should be able to carry on campus. Maybe we need someone to bring a pistol to a res-hall and challenge it :) All in all, it's not that big of a deal as I wouldn't want 98% of the idiots at LSU to have guns, haha.

That has not been challenged.

They can say anything they want, but for it to have legal weight, they must comply with law and right now, the law is in conflict with the above quote.

I'm not one to make waves. Maybe we should get that Pennington guy over here to test the waters.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    That has not been challenged.

They can say anything they want, but for it to have legal weight, they must comply with law and right now, the law is in conflict with the above quote.

I'm not one to make waves. Maybe we should get that Pennington guy over here to test the waters.
    Nah, we need someone a bit more sane than him. I personally don't care as I don't live on campus and never will. On the brighter side, LSU now has an official Students for Concealed Carry chapter :)

Top Bottom