Colorado Laws/ Don't come here for a visit.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I don't imagine too many of you would be following what's happening in Colorado

We're in a bind.

Universal Background checks. (The gunshow "loophole" was already closed here.)
    Additional Fees (to the Colorado Bureau of investigation, they control the amount) for background checks passed
    Magazine over 15rds purchase/transfer after July 1 banned. Also includes any magazine easily convertible to over 15 rds.
    mandatory gun confiscation for domestic abuse investigations.

There was more, but that was the worst of it

The legal questions and fallout are almost completely unfathomable.
    .1. Husband is gone for more than 72 hours, he must "gift" all guns in the home to the wife, but magazines may not be transferred..I work out of state for weeks at a time.
    2. What happens if you cross state lines with your legal magazines, and cross back with them, something I do often?
    3. no inheritance of banned magazines.
    4. I have a friend who leaves a CCW piece here so he can fly in and out without any hassle. That becomes illegal without a background check every time he enters the state.
    5. If that friend had left a G17 , G19, XDm, etc. It would be illegal for me to let him have it with a magazine.
    6. What if someone from out of state with a CCW brings one of those weapons?

I went to the state capitol to watch the proceedings, see if there was something i could do. Yell at someone, something?!?! The Democratic senators were playing on their iphones/ipads the whole day during the "debate" where the R's pointed out the folly and complications in their laws. The most disgusting thing I've ever seen as those Yay votes won.

My wife says we can't leave because she loves it here.

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Move to Utah, same feel, but more gun rights. I'm a Colorado boy for 12 years, and have wanted to go back for another 4. Now? I'm not so sure.

All those jokes about the Californians going back home? Wish we'd have stuck to them.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Cancelled our trip to the FJ Summit in Ouray this year because of all this.

This really sucks. I had already written off California as a destination long ago because of all the nonsense, but I was not ready to give up Colorado! Ya'll need to toss those hippies out on their ears! Here's hoping for a reckoning in the next elections.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Ridiculous. Options:

-Move/leave/get out. Do not move to that area. Cede the state to the libs.
    --They will try it in other states, we just loss serious land-mass and national voting power.

-Stay, carry on, disregard the law of the state.
    --You will either never use your weapons, or you will be found out and punished, or the law will be overturned hopefully before that happens.
    ---You will use your weapons, they will try to punish you, you will shoot it out with local LE and die/get life in jail/death penalty.
    ----Either of the above two possible scenarios may ultimately alter the law if it happens often enough. Doesn't matter to YOU, though. Or the other people hurt by said decisions.

I'm sorry, but the whole "let them have it, lets avoid the state" philosophy just isn't any good. It is reacting/being accepting, and that doesn't win a war against someone who is aggressively attacking everything you stand for. I personally think peaceful, active resistance en-masse is the ticket. They simply cannot arrest and detain hundreds of thousands of people. It would cripple the entire state's infrastructure. What happens when 1/2 of the people at the local hospital are in jail? What happens when 1/2 of the police who were to arrest them are too busy worrying about their own children and families and THEIR possession of similar "contraband"? The law quickly loses steam and is abolished.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Hello goodbourbon, Been following these other state's in the new's,Yeah it suck's to live up there now,
    So you greatbourbon and das suerto selling out and moving back to Laffy town ?

I blame weed for all this spreading of Liberalism, Ban everything approach, Seem's like everythime the law's are slacked off on smoking weed,About a year later you loose some of your gun right's.
    You and suerto had better send me those evil high cap mag's,I'll hang on to them until the day we need em'.Later man.

We're in a bind.

Additional Fees (to the Colorado Bureau of investigation, they control the amount) for background checks passed
    Magazine over 15rds purchase/transfer after July 1 banned. Also includes any magazine easily convertible to over 15 rds.

.1. Husband is gone for more than 72 hours, he must "gift" all guns in the home to the wife, but magazines may not be transferred..I work out of state for weeks at a time.
    2. What happens if you cross state lines with your legal magazines, and cross back with them, something I do often?
    4. I have a friend who leaves a CCW piece here so he can fly in and out without any hassle. That becomes illegal without a background check every time he enters the state.
    5. If that friend had left a G17 , G19, XDm, etc. It would be illegal for me to let him have it with a magazine.

I went to the state capitol to watch the proceedings, see if there was something i could do. Yell at someone, something?!?! The Democratic senators were playing on their iphones/ipads the whole day during the "debate" where the R's pointed out the folly and complications in their laws. The most disgusting thing I've ever seen as those Yay votes won.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I'd say most of us are following what's happening around the country fairly well.

If all these bills make it into law, moving is your only option. It's that or succumbing to the general ignorance these people are displaying by enacting laws that trample your 2nd amendment rights.

Some things are more important than how much someone "likes it here."

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Ridiculous. Options:

-Move/leave/get out. Do not move to that area. Cede the state to the libs.
    --They will try it in other states, we just loss serious land-mass and national voting power.

-Stay, carry on, disregard the law of the state.
    --You will either never use your weapons, or you will be found out and punished, or the law will be overturned hopefully before that happens.
    ---You will use your weapons, they will try to punish you, you will shoot it out with local LE and die/get life in jail/death penalty.
    ----Either of the above two possible scenarios may ultimately alter the law if it happens often enough. Doesn't matter to YOU, though. Or the other people hurt by said decisions.

I'm sorry, but the whole "let them have it, lets avoid the state" philosophy just isn't any good. It is reacting/being accepting, and that doesn't win a war against someone who is aggressively attacking everything you stand for. I personally think peaceful, active resistance en-masse is the ticket. They simply cannot arrest and detain hundreds of thousands of people. It would cripple the entire state's infrastructure. What happens when 1/2 of the people at the local hospital are in jail? What happens when 1/2 of the police who were to arrest them are too busy worrying about their own children and families and THEIR possession of similar "contraband"? The law quickly loses steam and is abolished.

My suggestion was more along the lines of "dont let them have any of your money". Not "keep out and let em have it."

I've had a few enlightening conversations with people who thought the laws were a good idea, that I'd be grandfathered etc. Upon exploring some of the possibilities they were surprised that "universal background checks" keeps families from owning guns legally.

The trust option has been discussed, and the way the law is worded it is believed that a trust will not protect the magazines. Since the wording of the law is about possession. I could put them in the trust just in case, but that may preclude me from adding anyone to the trust.

Basically at this point it's all unknown. The Sheriff's have said they won't enforce it, so at home I'm safe for now. Unless the state patrol is called upon to enforce these things. It's virtually impossible to not violate the law if you are married and own an AR-15.

Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine

We're in a bind.

Since there is no link here to the legislation, I have a couple of questions out of curiosity.

How does 4 work? If the CCW is legally his, and already legally in Colorado? I don't get how the person travelling to and from causes a problem. I'm guessing he's not a resident of CO, is CO not recognizing his valid permit from another state anymore?

For 5....are the magazines already his?

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Move to Utah, same feel, but more gun rights. I'm a Colorado boy for 12 years, and have wanted to go back for another 4. Now? I'm not so sure.

All those jokes about the Californians going back home? Wish we'd have stuck to them.
    Bra! I'm a plainsman from Morgan County who was stationed @ Fort Carson for a few.... I knew it was all going to pot when I saw the Raider Fans buying up tickets to Mile High during the 90s. (Despite Super Bowl XXXII and XXXIII). -That and the fact that the drivers became more and more aggressive on the road.... (California drivers like to smell your hemorrhoids).

Louisiana has grown on me though. Plus, I married me a nice Southern girl! (-:

ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    I honestly don't see how the several states can stay united. The States have grown to almost polar opposites culturally, economically, morally, ethically, etc. States like Louisiana, Texas, and Oklahoma will not be governed like California, New York, now Colorado, etc. The current administration is imposing California-type government on the nation. How does this end?

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I honestly don't see how the several states can stay united. The States have grown to almost polar opposites culturally, economically, morally, ethically, etc. States like Louisiana, Texas, and Oklahoma will not be governed like California, New York, now Colorado, etc. The current administration is imposing California-type government on the nation. How does this end?
    We're separate countries. Literally. The Gulf States and the Northern Mountain Region are alike. West Coast is it's own country. East Coast is it's own. The Great Lakes is it's own. It's obvious how it ends.

pallnet

I like chicken..
    Rating - 50%
    2   2   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Slidell
    "The Sheriff's have said they won't enforce it, so at home I'm safe for now."

Keep in mind that HLS is growing at a fast rate, I've even read in a few places that UN officers are being intergrated into HLS. I don't think the government plans on useing local law enforcement when it all boils down to it.

The south is the place to live....
    pallnet

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Since there is no link here to the legislation, I have a couple of questions out of curiosity.

How does 4 work? If the CCW is legally his, and already legally in Colorado? I don't get how the person travelling to and from causes a problem. I'm guessing he's not a resident of CO, is CO not recognizing his valid permit from another state anymore?

For 5....are the magazines already his?

The way the law is worded, if someone has possession for more than 72 hours without a BG check it's against the law. Therefore, every time he enters the state he'd have to undergo a check, and every time he leaves I'd have to do a check.

For 5, the way the law is worded, it is illegal to transfer, purchase a magazine over 15 rounds any time after July 1, 2013.

For your viewing pleasure:

HB 1228 (fees for BG checks) http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cl...BC54E4087257AEE00585D19?Open&file=1228_01.pdf

HB 1229 (Universal BG checks) http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cl...02AFC2F87257A8E0073C303?Open&file=1229_01.pdf

HB 1224 (magazine ban, the reason Magpul is leaving Colorado) http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cl...5E62E6F87257B0100813CB5?Open&file=1224_01.pdf

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    My suggestion was more along the lines of "dont let them have any of your money". Not "keep out and let em have it."

I've had a few enlightening conversations with people who thought the laws were a good idea, that I'd be grandfathered etc. Upon exploring some of the possibilities they were surprised that "universal background checks" keeps families from owning guns legally.

The trust option has been discussed, and the way the law is worded it is believed that a trust will not protect the magazines. Since the wording of the law is about possession. I could put them in the trust just in case, but that may preclude me from adding anyone to the trust.

Basically at this point it's all unknown. The Sheriff's have said they won't enforce it, so at home I'm safe for now. Unless the state patrol is called upon to enforce these things. It's virtually impossible to not violate the law if you are married and own an AR-15.

That's because the geniuses (I use that term literally without sarcasm) behind these bills know EXACTLY what they are doing. They coach it to their populace as a common-sense item, make those who say otherwise out to be trigger-happy maniacs, and once it passes...well...really rude to wake up one day and realize that HOLY CRAP! A law abiding "normal person" like yourself is now a felon!

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    The way the law is worded, if someone has possession for more than 72 hours without a BG check it's against the law. Therefore, every time he enters the state he'd have to undergo a check, and every time he leaves I'd have to do a check.

For 5, the way the law is worded, it is illegal to transfer, purchase a magazine over 15 rounds any time after July 1, 2013.

For your viewing pleasure:

HB 1228 (fees for BG checks) http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cl...BC54E4087257AEE00585D19?Open&file=1228_01.pdf

HB 1229 (Universal BG checks) http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cl...02AFC2F87257A8E0073C303?Open&file=1229_01.pdf

HB 1224 (magazine ban, the reason Magpul is leaving Colorado) http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cl...5E62E6F87257B0100813CB5?Open&file=1224_01.pdf

Put it in a lockbox you don't have the key/combo to.

Then it's NOT transfered.

Works for class 3.

Top Bottom