colt 1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmurph

Serious as dick cancer!
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Huntsville, TX
    i may be getting a few ww2 original colt 1911 slides and i have a few questions someone may be able to answer. first where would i be able to find period correct parts to build these into complete weapons, what is the value of a ww2 slide in good condition, and what would the cost of building a good quality "like original" GI 1911? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks Dylan

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    You can get frames from Caspian made to WWII Spec and then most of the small parts will be run of the mill. If you plan on shooting the guns I would have the slides X-rayed first.

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    The value of the slide is not significant unless you have the original frame or one just like it. The old WW II pistols are valuable in original condition, but not worth very much as parts. If you can find a collector that has a buggered slide and needs a better one.......you may get premium price.

Good luck

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    You have probably already checked in at the 1911forum. I seem to recall similar questions over there. Check it out if you haven't already for lots of info that may help you out. :cheers:

dmurph

Serious as dick cancer!
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Huntsville, TX
    thanks for all the help, i had an offer made on one of these slides that somewhat suprised me. needless to say i only have one now and would still like to restore it to original condition, i would like to keep it as original as possible(based on budget). the guys over at 1911 have helped a lot but i am still looking for an original frame and not a reproduction. thanks again Dylan

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    Sell it to someone looking to 'fix' one that had aftermarket sites added, and put the $ towards an original.

This. WWII metallurgy is far inferior to modern offerings, so a "practical" frankengun of vintage and modern parts wouldn't be prudent, not to mention stomachs turned at the range. Tons of 1911a1s had slides swapped btw them in service, and some were converted with NM or aftermarket mode, making a vintage slide important for.one restoring his original.mismatched 1911. If you don't mate these with matching original parts, you'd make someone much happier selling to them than making more mutts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom