Colt Anaconda

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    +1 on your new (to you) Anaconda!
    IIRC the lockwork is based on the Trooper model, and is solid, smooth and dependable.There is a LOT to like and very little to complain about. It should give you a lifetime of reliable service. I am a Snake collecter, and will add an Anaconda to my snake pit at some point also.
    It is truly a shame that Colt no longer builds DA revolvers, although persistent rumours have them reintroducing some type of DA revolver in near future (SHOT 2009, 2010, 2011, etc)

deadduck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    Thanks Tx oil. I've always wanted a Python too, and hopefully will get one in the future. I've always been an auto guy, but have wanted a .44 mag for a long time. The deal seemed right on this one so I grabbed it. Hopefully will kill a deer with it one day!

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Tx_Oil is correct but not specific. The original Trooper made from the 1950's until 1969 was identical to the Python mechanically. Only the Python had a better level of fit and finish to the inside of the action and to the outside more attention to detail. Thus the original Trooper was a Police Positive action. In 1969 Colt in an attempt to reduce manufacturing costs came out with a more Smith and Wesson type action called the Mark 3. The Mk III series had the Official Police, The Trooper, and the Lawman. Each model had started life as a Police Positive action based model. So a Trooper and a Trooper MKIII are very different animals. Then in the early 1980's Colt refined the MKIII action by removing sintered metal parts and changing the geometry a little to improve the action. This was called a Mark 5 (Mk V) action. So now there's a Trooper MKV which is a very different animal than the original Trooper and slightly different than the MkIII version. Finally in the 1990's Colt again attempted to remove the costly to produce Python from the line up by creating the King Cobra line. The KC action was the MkV action further refined with a higher level of fit and finish. It's upon this action that the Anaconda was based.

Opinions vary but I find this action in the KC to be superior to the S&W 686 for me. Which isn't to say S&W's action is bad, it's very good in fact. I just prefer the Colt KC trigger feel which is more similar to the traditional Colt trigger feel. Gun Tests magazine agreed with me that the KC was better than the 686.

I have never shot the Anaconda but have heard great things about it. As they are no longer made the value of them is constantly going up. If I were buying one for hunting I'd try to find one that's been shot a good bit and therefore won't loose any value by further use.

Dave

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Very nice pistol. I like it. My father in law has one he bought from a state trooper 30 years ago. Figuring how I can buy it from him.

Last edited:

deadduck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    Wow, thanks dwr461, you know your Colt history! This one has been shot a fair amount, so its not a collector. Still, it's in great shape.

Thanks CE Hollier, I like the way it feels in my hands better than most I've tried.

Didn't get a chance to shoot it today, maybe tomorrow.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Great find. A friend of mine has one and I love the way it shoots. He's got a Python too, and I hope to trade him out of one of them soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

deadduck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    Did I do ok at $800? It's been shot some, but very little wear, everything feels tight. It doesn't have the original grips, but I think I can find some. Serial number is MM508xx, which I'm guessing is pretty late in the production.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Heck I'm not sure. The prices on Colt's have been going up like crazy. I think that sounds OK. I bought my KC about 7 or 8 years ago for $500 and it's in >95% condition. On the hand I bought a Police Positive Special 1951 vintage with a 4 inch barrel for $275 earlier this month. I avoided the Colt Detective Special as it's timing was off. You have to know what to look for with the Police Positive action. The KC/anaconda action is more forgiving. Also read less precise. Also read closer to S&W which is not always a bad thing.

Dave

Top Bottom