Colt Delta Elite 10mm 1911 HATES hollowpoints.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw76

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Well at least MY Delta Elite doesn't seem to like them at all. I bought the gun from an individual and it had already been "upgraded" with a Heinie barrel and did not come with the factory barrel or mags. I have two Wilson Combat mags and two Kimber mags. I'm shooting Hornaday 180gr hollowpoints and a few other name brand ammunition loads. For whatever reason, she (as picky as my 1911 is, it's a SHE) doesn't seem to want to feed hollowpoints. It's not uncommon to get two or even three FTF per magazine. FMJ's feed like a dream. I've taken it to Jim's Firearms and had Scott look at it and he just suggested that I stick with the FMJ's.

Does anyone have any better ideas? Similar problems? Brand or grain load I can try? I kinda don't want to be limited to FMJ's. However, she's not my carry gun. I'd just like to open up the door to a relaible hollowpoint loading.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Get Loyd Landry to take a look at it.

You may also get the guys at http://www.barkingironsfirearms.com/ to take a look. They are new, but two guys there did go to gunsmith school and both had a nice worked over Colt on their hips when I was there. I haven't used them for gunsmith work yet, but I'd give them a try.

BTW, you gun should work with most any in spec ammo. If not, something's not right. The guy at the shop you went to just didn't want or know how to figure it out.... All IMO of course.

Last edited:

Southpaw76

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Get Loyd Landry to take a look at it.

You may also get the guys at http://www.barkingironsfirearms.com/ to take a look. They are new, but two guys there did go to gunsmith school and both had a nice worked over Colt on their hips when I was there. I haven't used them for gunsmith work yet, but I'd give them a try.

BTW, you gun should work with most any in spec ammo. If not, something's not right. The guy at the shop you went to just didn't want or know how to figure it out.... All IMO of course.

Thanks. I'll check them out. I was kinda thinking the same thing about the ammo. It's not like I'm using generic dime store junk ammo. I'll give them a call and drop by their shop.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    are you certain your mags are for 10mm? not sure if they would even work at all but that just came to mind.

how about a picture of the ramp end of the barrel w/the slide locked back.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    How about a picture of the FTF itself, so we can get an idea of what's going on?

If they're diving into the base of the feed ramp before they even hit the slope, it might be the mags as Charlie suggests-- even if they are adequate for 10mm.

If all you have is FMJ on hand, you can hand chamber and shuck a mag or two and then check the projectiles themselves for obvious marks that would suggest this. Where the round nose might be enough to overcome such an issue, the JHP's would easily catch lip-to-lip and refuse to budge in that type of situation.

In any event, Uncle Lloyd will get you straightened out.

Southpaw76

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    How about a picture of the FTF itself, so we can get an idea of what's going on?

If they're diving into the base of the feed ramp before they even hit the slope, it might be the mags as Charlie suggests-- even if they are adequate for 10mm.

If all you have is FMJ on hand, you can hand chamber and shuck a mag or two and then check the projectiles themselves for obvious marks that would suggest this. Where the round nose might be enough to overcome such an issue, the JHP's would easily catch lip-to-lip and refuse to budge in that type of situation.

In any event, Uncle Lloyd will get you straightened out.

I have hollowpoints available. I can take some pics tomorrow of the FTF. All of my mags are for 10mm. It looks like the face of the hollowpoint is catching the mouth of the barrel. I'm off tomorrow and Tuesday, so I'll be checking "Uncle Lloyd" out. =)

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I'm not too familiar with the Delta Elite, but I have a guy who wants to sell me one in Stainless for $1200. Good price? Are they typically good weapons to have in your posession? Any input would be helpful. Thanks

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    The fact that it feeds the FMJ leads me to believe that it is not a mag probablem and indeed a feed ramp issue. Any real gunsmith should be able to fix you right up. Anyone that tells you to only shoot FMJ NEVER take anything to them again.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'm not too familiar with the Delta Elite, but I have a guy who wants to sell me one in Stainless for $1200. Good price? Are they typically good weapons to have in your posession? Any input would be helpful. Thanks

nice pistol but 1200 seems a little high. 1,000 would be better. FWIW, there are currently a couple on gunbroker for under 1100.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    That's the funniest thing I've read all day! It's early yet, but that's still funny!

What's so funny?
    1232903709_samuelljackson-badassmofo.gif

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I have hollowpoints available. I can take some pics tomorrow of the FTF. All of my mags are for 10mm. It looks like the face of the hollowpoint is catching the mouth of the barrel. I'm off tomorrow and Tuesday, so I'll be checking "Uncle Lloyd" out. =)

By the description, it's probably a feed ramp issue. You may end up with a slightly reamed chamber as well, depending. That's definitely one for a gunsmith to look at. You can get away with a polish job on your own IF you know what you're doing, but this sounds like it'll take some cutting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom