Colt detective Special

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bushym4a1

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Lafayette
    my buddy inherited a colt detective special (nickel). don't know much about colt's but it has to be really old since it is a nickel finish. anyway, his grandpa stored it in a gun cabinet on display for a long time and it is having a few minor issues:

besides needing a major wipe-down, as it has some orange grease/oil in spots, the cylinder is very slow and tuff to turn. its not gritty, just doesn't rotate to easily. Also, the hammer is tuff to pull back and the trigger is slow moving as well. are these things a simple disassembly and oil will fix? He isn't looking to shoot it much, but would like to get it in safe functioning order. It looks like it was barely fired at all.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If you get near Baton Rouge I can give it a once over and a cleaning. I can't always fix them. But I can tell you what the problem is usually.

Dave

Phuie72

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I had the same problem with my 38 k frame. Basically the same story on how I got it. All i did was pull the hammer back and put two drops of lubricant inbetween the frame and hammer and haven't had a problem since.

bushym4a1

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Lafayette
    ill try lubing it up more... likely course of action will be a gunsmith. recommendations on any competent gunsmiths in the Lafayette area who are good with Colts?

Moondew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    BR
    Should like most said, just need a good cleaning and lube. The old lube that was probably used in it has just sort of "solidified " in it. Not a difficult job to clean it up just use the right tools and note carefully how to disasemble and reassemble. Done it myself plenty times.

Have one also, my guess from the mid 80's ?
    Shoot it some, at least my wife shoots it more than I do now. It's sort of hers now (she claimed it), She seems to do better at the range with it than her J-Frame S&W which is a bit snappier. I have some Pachmyer grips on it.

It's a nice wheelgun. She wants laser for it but I don't know if anyone makes one to fit.

Last edited:

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Should like most said, just need a good cleaning and lube. The old lube that was probably used in it has just sort of "solidified " in it. Not a difficult job to clean it up just use the right tools and note carefully how to disasemble and reassemble. Done it myself plenty times.

Have one also, my guess from the mid 80's ?
    Shoot it some, at least my wife shoots it more than I do now. It's sort of hers now (she claimed it), She seems to do better at the range with it than her J-Frame S&W which is a bit snappier. I have some Pachmyer grips on it.

It's a nice wheelgun. She wants laser for it but I don't know if anyone makes one to fit.

I considered buying one for my wife because she shot my dad's really well. But I decided to get a J-frame so that I could get some laser grips for it. I'm assuming that your wife's J-frame is an airweight... if so, you might want to consider selling it and getting her a 640, which is what I got my wife. Similar in weight to the detective special and the crimson trace grips fit nicely.

Moondew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    BR
    I considered buying one for my wife because she shot my dad's really well. But I decided to get a J-frame so that I could get some laser grips for it. I'm assuming that your wife's J-frame is an airweight... if so, you might want to consider selling it and getting her a 640, which is what I got my wife. Similar in weight to the detective special and the crimson trace grips fit nicely.

Not an airweight, a model 36-1? if I remember (just a guess) with a maybe 3" bbl. Small stock grips, (even tried several types of aftermarket grips). She got to shoot the Colt and just liked it a LOT better as the felt recoil apparently was less. (Besides I think she quietly likes the nickle finish.) She has a two tone Browning HP as well, but that is a bit large for CC.

She shoots the Colt really well outdoors but finds the fixed sights more difficult to see in indoor range lighting. Not a problem with the Browning.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The DS is not a subcompact revolver like a J Frame S&W. It's a D frame from Colt. The model started it's life as a snub nosed, round butt, Police Positive in the 1920's. The PPS was designed as a duty sized weapon. It's frame is smaller than a K Frame S&W but larger than the J Frame S&W. It's a 6 shot with a full sized stock (grip) and a steel frame. As such it doesn't carry in the pocket as well as a J Frame S&W or other subcompact sized revolver.

I've owned and cleaned up many of these revolvers over the years. Generally they just need a good cleaning.

I don't know of any gunsmith's in the Laf. area but my offer still stands to go over it and teach you how to clean/detail strip it.

Dave

Last edited:
    Top Bottom