Colt M1991A1

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Then just do internal work, replace the trigger group on it, and you might want to add a full size guide rod, (eventhough some people claim since thats not on the original design its one of those parts that you do not need and that it will not affect accuracy, I think it does but im not an engineer or smith), also replace the barrel bushing for an after market one.

My main problem with the A1 versions is the sights, and to replace them it involves cuting a dove tail, then re finish the slide or at least the area that was cut so you dont get rust.

OH and mags, I have had great luck with the ACT mags.

Last edited:

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    Then just do internal work, replace the trigger group on it, and you might want to add a full size guide rod, (eventhough some people claim since thats not on the original design its one of those parts that you do not need and that it will not affect accuracy, I think it does but im not an engineer or smith), also replace the barrel bushing for an after market one.

My main problem with the A1 versions is the sights, and to replace them it involves cuting a dove tail, then re finish the slide or at least the area that was cut so you dont get rust.

OH and mags, I have had great luck with the ACT mags.

OK I was looking at this EGW Ultimate Trigger Kit

How many round Magazines do you order and from where? Straight from ACT?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I wouldn't replace the guide rod. The GI Guide Rod is fine. I would swap the sights. But I wouldn't do a thing till you shoot it enough. You may find the sights adequate or you may find the thumb safety needs to be re-contured.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Cheapest place I have found ACT mags is Top Gun Supply, they have a lifetime warranty on them and they are cheap enough that you can buy another one if you dont want to have to mess with shipping them etc etc etc.

They have run just as good as my Wilson's and the high polish finish makes them drop like butter, the early versions had a problem with the lips craking but the issue has been resolved, and you can swap the guts for some Tripp Research and they are A++ that setup was actually recommended by LV on a Blog not long ago, for the best 1911 mag on a budget.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/act-mag-1911-govt-45-acp-8rd-magazine-blue.html

Last edited:

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    I wouldn't replace the guide rod. The GI Guide Rod is fine. I would swap the sights. But I wouldn't do a thing till you shoot it enough. You may find the sights adequate or you may find the thumb safety needs to be re-contured.

Roger that, I plan on slinging some lead with it before I go and start buying stuff, a holster would be first and more mags....

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Shoot it plenty then decide what you do and don't like. Then call our newest sponsor and explain your likes and dislikes to Bobby. You may decide to send it to him to get the trigger and sights done or ..........
    1st, go shoot the snot out of it.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

I agree. Especially about keeping the GI guiderod.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    You've gotten good advice so far imo, would only add two things. They are:

a) get a Brownell's 1911 catalog, (free)

b) get the Gundigest Book of the 1911, Vol 1 @ Barnes/Noble, Amazon, etc. This publication (and I'm not really a huge fan of Gundigest) is a GREAT resource for this pistol, particularly with large photos that explain, in detail, how to do LOTS of mods/maintenance yourself

And...I use Wilson mags exclusively these days. REALLY like the polymer follower. THey cost a tad more, but they last forever. Just my .02 on the mag topic.

Happy Shooting with your new Colt. The 1991A1, in stainless, is one I've wanted as a base gun for awhile. Enjoy the heck out of it.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Shoot it a bunch. What needs to be improved will be obvious.

That's right. Run a couple boxes through it, and make your mods based on any reliability and ergonomic issues that arise. You probably won't need much, and btw, there are aftermarket sights that use the original cuts in the slide.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Since everyone is talking magazines... I like the Tripp Cobra Mags. I've got some Wilson's, Tripp's, McCormick's and Springfield's and they all function fine for me. I like how the Tripp's disassemble for cleaning, makes it really easy to get all the lint and trash out.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    You've gotten good advice so far imo, would only add two things. They are:

a) get a Brownell's 1911 catalog, (free)

b) get the Gundigest Book of the 1911, Vol 1 @ Barnes/Noble, Amazon, etc. This publication (and I'm not really a huge fan of Gundigest) is a GREAT resource for this pistol, particularly with large photos that explain, in detail, how to do LOTS of mods/maintenance yourself

And...I use Wilson mags exclusively these days. REALLY like the polymer follower. THey cost a tad more, but they last forever. Just my .02 on the mag topic.

Happy Shooting with your new Colt. The 1991A1, in stainless, is one I've wanted as a base gun for awhile. Enjoy the heck out of it.

Unless OP was mistaken, he was talking about 1991's, not 1911's.

Also....

Would the book you mentioned also work for the "Colt Defender Series: New Agent 9mm"?

Last edited:

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The M1991A1 is a 1911.

The only reason I suugest the Springfield magazines is for the price. They make great range magazines. Wilson Combat/Tripps/CMC will be superior to them, but for twice the price.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    The M1991A1 is a 1911.

The only reason I suugest the Springfield magazines is for the price. They make great range magazines. Wilson Combat/Tripps/CMC will be superior to them, but for twice the price.

Oh. I didn't know that. I'm new to the 1911 craze. Sorry.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom