Commercial vs mil-spec buffer. Does it really matter?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • autogateman

Access denied
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    maurepas la
    Im about to buy a new stock for my AR and it has a commercial buffer tube. I see all the stocks that Im looking at come in mil spec and commercial. Should I change my tube to mil spec or is the only thing that matters is that I buy the right stock for the tube I have?

Thanks,
    Rod

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    buffertubes.jpg

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Depends entirely on the use of the rifle. Commercial may not hold up well under harsh use/mortaring during malfunction clearance/etc. If that's not a concern commercial is fine. If it's a "serious use" weapon I'd spend the few bucks to upgrade the tube to a quality milspec.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Does anyone happen to know the history of how/why there is a commercial dimensioned buffer tube anyway? I've always wondered just why that particular complication.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Does anyone happen to know the history of how/why there is a commercial dimensioned buffer tube anyway? I've always wondered just why that particular complication.

Cheaper to produce. Milspec tubes are impact extruded (alot like forging) as opposed to standard extrusion, require more machining and are made of better materials.

Milspec tubes have rolled threads (stronger) that protrude higher than the tube. Commercial threads are simply cut into the tube, which is why the tube itself has a larger diameter.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom