Community property Law

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Help me settle an argument..

One of the guys I work with has been married for 20 + years

They bought a mobile home a few years ago for cash, he was working and sent her to finalize the title transfer and that stuff, the Title was issued in her name only

Recently she took out a loan and used the trailer for collateral....

I'm telling him that loan is not legal and that the finance company could not repo that house because it's community property and needed both signatures to be legal

So ya'll can tell me how right I am

Doug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Lake Charles, LA
    If the loan is just on the mobile home (no real estate included) and the title is only in her name, I am of the opinion that it is a good loan.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Spec's boat is in his name, but legally I'm also responsible for his debts. Seems to me it would suck, but the loan is good. Marriage is a legal partnership. So my guess is that they would assume he'd be aware and agreed to the business transaction.

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    Spec's boat is in his name, but legally I'm also responsible for his debts. Seems to me it would suck, but the loan is good. Marriage is a legal partnership. So my guess is that they would assume he'd be aware and agreed to the business transaction.

/\ This /\

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I would guess she had to present it at time of loan ???

That is not what my sentence asked ! Let me re type it

How would the finance company know that it is "joint property", when she presented the paperwork to apply for the loan the title was on HER name only so to them thats as legit as it gets.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    The real question is who knew you could borrow against your trailer home. :D

My first reaction too

I live in a trailer and we were told we could mortage our land but not the trailer, we did neither, times are just too uncertain

But thanks for your contribution

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    How would the Finance company know that if the title is on "her name only" ?

I would guess she had to present it at time of loan ???

That is not what my sentence asked ! Let me re type it

How would the finance company know that it is "joint property", when she presented the paperwork to apply for the loan the title was on HER name only so to them thats as legit as it gets.

This is true, they wouldn't know...but when I've filled out loan apps they ask are you married

If the answer is yes then I would suppose the community property question would arise..but IANAL.....thats why the question here

I know when I buy a new truck it takes both signatures...cause they tell me I'm married I have to have both names on sig line

Anyway....I appreciate all the info

Thanks

maybe I ain't right

Doug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Lake Charles, LA
    Louisiana Civil Code Article 2351: "A spouse has the exclusive right to manage, alienate,encumber or lease movables issued or registered in his name as provided by law."

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    alienate,encumber or lease movables issued or registered in his name
    In this case, the above would be her half of the trailer only. She cannot encumber his half. The kicker is he is responsible for any debt she incurs. So the lender get a judgment against him and then force the sale of the trailer.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    This is silly.

If there is a problem, you need to have an attorney who practices in that field review all of the details.

B-S'ers on-line legal speculations are just plain B.S.

leVieux

Last edited:

Doug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Lake Charles, LA
    In this case, the above would be her half of the trailer only. She cannot encumber his half. QUOTE]

If the title is in her name only, and if the trailer is in fact a "movable", she can encumber his half. That is exactly what that Civil Code article says. He may or may not be personally liable for the debt, depending on whether or not the funds were used for a community purpose, but the mortgage on the trailer is valid.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'm not sure if it matters in this case, but remember this; a mobile home is NOT a moveable and won't have a title, per se, the same way a car does if the wheels were removed when it was set in place. There is also paperwork that is filed with the parish when this is done to avoid sales tax since there is none on a permanent structure that is your home.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    In this case, the above would be her half of the trailer only. She cannot encumber his half. QUOTE]

If the title is in her name only, and if the trailer is in fact a "movable", she can encumber his half. That is exactly what that Civil Code article says. He may or may not be personally liable for the debt, depending on whether or not the funds were used for a community purpose, but the mortgage on the trailer is valid.

^^^
    This

Top Bottom