Complacency Kills - LEOs kindess could have cost their lives

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    An intoxicated man pulled a loaded handgun on two Metro Transit police officers while in the back of their squad car, after a pat-down by the officers failed to find the weapon.

The man, identified by authorities as 21 year-old Wesley Rogers, had been seen "harassing" a woman at 7th St S and Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis shortly after four o'clock in the afternoon on Dec. 4, officials said. Metro Transit Ofcs. Jason Malland and Adam Marvin,
    assigned on a detail in the area, responded and found Rogers "obviously
    intoxicated."

A pat-down search of Rogers by the officers found "an open bottle of liquor." Rather than arrest Rogers or take him to a detox facility, the officers decided to take Rogers to his North Minneapolis home as a "courtesy," according to Metro Transit.

Officers "heard a metal clunk" from the rear while driving, pulled over,
    and found Rogers had pointed "a loaded .38 revolver" at them "while in a
    squad."

The incident was captured on a rear-facing squad surveillance camera.

The gun was not fired and Rogers was "subdued" and taken to the Hennepin County Jail.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=126_1367960229

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Is missing something like that common?

Probably not. Maybe. I’d hope not.

I mean what could have happen was they find ol’jim drinking again near the Dollar Store. They pat him down(non-crotch) or stopped when they found the bottle.

Jim’s like, "Ossifer Buddies, just take me home, I shouldn't be out here on the street drinking, ya’ll know where I live mayne"

Officers could be like, "Man Jims house is on the way back b/c we get off in 10 minutes. Let's cut him some slack and bring him home.

:dunno:

I mean there are tons of ways it could happen but all seem to involve the same thing. Complacency.

Now do you think these guys will EVER put another guy in the back of their car without a full and proper pat down? In fact I'm sure it's SOP to do so.

Their breaking of the SOP almost cost them everything. Gave me chills. I'm sure they got QUITE the ear full back at the station.

Stay Frosty my friends!

Last edited:

pwl822

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    boyce
    thats why you always check the back seat when you get a unit from some one else. and giving someone a ride , good and the bad like to dump things not found in searches, pat downs

LA_LEO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Is missing something like that common?
    Only if you dont do a proper search. You must remember a "pat down" or "Terry Pat" is conducted for Officer Safety to make sure the suspect does not have any weapons that may harm the LEO. I dont care if you are under arrest or I'm just transporting you from point A to B, you aren't getting into the back of my unit without me physically checking you for any weapons that may harm me or any other LEO that may remove you from my unit. I even ask another LEO if swapping a suspect from one unit to another if he has been searched, then do it again in the event something was missed.

The LEO in the video should be beating himself up for not properly protecting his partner and himself. Also, he jumps in the unit with his pistol drawn?1? Now he just introduced 2 weapons in a confined space. I think that will turn into a great training video for what not to do and how things could have gotten really bad!

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Also, he jumps in the unit with his pistol drawn?1? Now he just introduced 2 weapons in a confined space. I think that will turn into a great training video for what not to do and how things could have gotten really bad!

Out of curiosity, what is the proper way to handle that situation if the obvious "just pat him down properly in the first place" wasn't done initially? I did a short stint as military police (TAD work, not my full time position) and I understand that it's a whole different thing in the civilian world, but we never had something like this happen.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    Some are. Of course Department and BUDGET dictates.

But a lot are just thick plexi-glass in order to keep them from getting out of the back seat.
    I've never seen or heard any patrol car with a bullet proof divider. I bet it would cost 10,000. Where have you seen one? Do they allow you to open them to talk?
    I bet that thing would be silly thick and heavy! Plus if you search your guy....

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I've never seen or heard any patrol car with a bullet proof divider. I bet it would cost 10,000. Where have you seen one? Do they allow you to open them to talk?
    I bet that thing would be silly thick and heavy! Plus if you search your guy....

Well I thought I put "I'm sure" in front of that. :D

The Glass isn't really that thick though and I don't think a 48" by 24" piece would be 10k. That sounds pretty freaking high.

LA_LEO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    For the record, it wasn't the LEO's "kindness" that was the problem. It was the LEO's complacency that was the issue. I know the shitstorm that comes with this statement but the LEO is the one responsible for his own safety. Getting mad and chocking they guy is unnecessary AFTER he was in cuffs. He had PLENTY of time to kill BOTH cops. The cop should only be angry at himself.
    Kindness doesn't kill...complacency does.
    +1

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    For the record, it wasn't the LEO's "kindness" that was the problem. It was the LEO's complacency that was the issue. I know the shitstorm that comes with this statement but the LEO is the one responsible for his own safety. Getting mad and chocking they guy is unnecessary AFTER he was in cuffs. He had PLENTY of time to kill BOTH cops. The cop should only be angry at himself.
    Kindness doesn't kill...complacency does.

That guy wasn't trying to kill them. E was trying to unass the gun.
    The two cops should have choked each other

Completely agree

COP HATERS!!!!!!! :p

Top Bottom