Complete reloading set up

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    That's pretty broad. Money no object then Mark 7 revolution, but since you are a first time reloader I would recommend one of the dillon presses that fit what you're trying to do.

Also, this is the worst time to get into reloading. Consumables are impossible to find. Presses and parts are hard to find.

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    I would never recommend a semi-progressive or progressive system to any beginner. Get a good single stage or turret for first set-up. Even if you want a progressive later, you'll still use the single or turret for load development. More than anything else, if you don't have a mentor, get all of the best loading manuals you can afford. They will serve you well no matter what. I've been reloading for over 30years, and my go to press is still a single stage most of the time. Yes, I have Dillon's, Lee's, Hornaday's, RCBS's, and Redding's. Some in single, some in turret, and some in semi-progressive. A top quality single or turret still outshines any of them for most chores not to mention the versatility. Love the semi's when I want to crank out a bunch of same loads, but to be honest, that's not all that often.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If you’re in the Baton Rouge area go to Louisiana Gun and Reloading. They’ll set you straight.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    That is very broad. Just because money is no object don't mean you need to spend a ridiculous amount of money.

It is all about needs. I think the Dillon 750 or 650 is perfect if you are not switching calibers a bunch. I had one for .45 colt since I shoot a ton of that and it was wonderful. The Dillon 550 is great if you want to change calibers more.

I prefer a Redding T-7 Turret press because I can load up a couple calibers on each tool head and so it makes swapping calibers super easy.

Lyman just came out with a turret press also.

Or you could spend like 1500 on an Area 419 press which looks and works great but I just don't see the need to spend that much money on a press that really offers no advantage.

You can spend as little or as much as you want to fit your needs. My needs may be different than yours and yours may be different than the next guy.

Research is key. Watch videos on youtube. Ask around like you have here. Ask specific questions that you have. That is how you will determine what you really need.

katzdad1962

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2021
    pineville ,La.
    i have been reloading for just over 2 year , i have a good friend that is my mentor , he even gave me an old single stage press to start with . i have started letting my 12 yr old son help , and he loves it . I am partial to RCBS and hornady , there no need to spend a fortune on the press , you will have plenty of other stuff to spend your money on . Only have 2 suggestions , get a mentor ,and read everything you can on reloading . good luck and have fun [oh and becareful ]

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    The post above by BSGA is good advice. I started loading my own ammo about 45 years ago and have been shooting competition since 1980. I still have my first press, an RCBS single stage. Without a competent mentor, a single stage press is the best choice for a first timer. Learn how to do it right, learn what can go wrong and how to avoid it, then if you want a progressive press you can add it to your equipment.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    The post above by BSGA is good advice. I started loading my own ammo about 45 years ago and have been shooting competition since 1980. I still have my first press, an RCBS single stage. Without a competent mentor, a single stage press is the best choice for a first timer. Learn how to do it right, learn what can go wrong and how to avoid it, then if you want a progressive press you can add it to your equipment.

Same here but since 1978. I still use the single stage RCBS RC press to decap primers prior to cleaning with SS Pins, resize rifle brass as well as swag military primer pockets. I take it outside in the fresh air to reduce my having lead indoors when popping primers out. And only bring cleaned brass inside.
    As well as converting brass to other calibers. (IE) 5.56 INTO 7.62X25 , 300 black. 30 06 I to 8mm Mauser, and 7.62x 51 into 45 cap shot shell.
    Or when working up a new load so i can make up a few different charges.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    First thing is to get good quality equipment and learn how to use it. It doesn’t make a whole lot of difference if your using a single stage or a turrent press and even with one of the progressive presses, you have to learn to use them properly. Now, a lot will depend on what you want to load and how much ammo you need. If your loading rifle hunting ammo and need 50 to 100 rounds a year, then a single stage is fine. You won’t be in that big of a hurry and you can take your time. You’ll be able to produce good quality ammo and your rifle will like it. If you need large amounts of pistol or something like .223/5.56 ammo then you’ll appreciate using a progressive machine. They are not very difficult to use and the time savings is well worth it. You can use the Dillon RL-550 like a single stage or turrent press if you wish.
    The biggest problem you’ll run into for now is finding components to reload with. We have a little powder on our shelves but it is limited as to what we are getting. And the fact that we are not seeing any primers out there is scary. We feel it will return but as to when is another thing.
    You can come by our store at 12728 Jefferson Hwy in BR and we can show you the difference between several of the machines. We have a good number of the RL-550’s and XL-750’s in stock, with a large number of accessories to go with them. What we don’t have in stock is Dillon pistol dies or any other pistol dies.
    Send me a PM if you need more information.

Bryan
    Louisiana Gun

Top Bottom